Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

In-depth review of my 2011 S5 after 1000miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-depth review of my 2011 S5 after 1000miles

So I reached 1000 miles on my S5 this past weekend after taking a necessary 400miles trip out of town. I figure I can do a much more in depth review of the vehicle now, after spending more time with it.
This being my first Audi/VW product, I was very pleasantly surprised. I've always read that Audi makes the best interiors, and I was glad to find that the S5's interior was very well designed as well. The layout, looks, material, and build quality is pretty top notch and I was not disappointed. Considering this is my daily driver, I need it to be a place I like spending time in.
The car is deceptively quick. The V8 engine does a great, effortless job from stop lights, as well as when passing other cars on the highway. I haven't launched the car like it could be, but I've pushed it a bit and it responded very respectively.
The exhaust note provides a great soundtrack as well. The car is quiet when I need it to be, but aggressive enough when pushed as well. It's a very nice balance for a completely stock vehicle.
This being my first AWD vehicle, I'm having to change my driving habits a bit because the car is a little too nose heavy. When pushed hard, it tends to really understeer and you can feel that the car is nose heavy. Once I realized this and changed my driving a little bit, the rear sport diff is a lot more useful and does a great job to make the rear rotate quick enough. I can definitely feel the rear of the car turn quickly enough to tell that the rear diff is making it do that. I can see that if pushed far enough, with the sports diff, the rear end of the car can be made to kick out a bit thus rotating the car pleasantly around corners. I've yet to try this, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon because I have no plan on taking this car to a track. I will however take the time to learn the car so that I know just how far it can be pushed.
The AWD of the car gives it some great exit speeds if driven right. On my way to work there's an exit ramp that has a great series of S turns and I've always enjoyed pushing my cars through there sometimes. Although I'm nowhere near the limit of this car yet, I've noticed that my exit speeds are a lot higher than in my other cars. This is a great testament to the traction level provided by the AWD system. I do however feel that I'll reach the limit of adhesion that the Pirelli P Zeros will provide before reaching the limit of the AWD system. In other words, these definitely aren't performance tires. A lot more grip can be had with a change of tires if needed.
The 6 speed transmission is definitely geared for performance in this car, so if in the right gear at the right time, there's an abundance of torque. This however makes for not so great gas mileage on the highway. At 80mph, in 6th gear, the engine is turning at 3200RPMs. That provides great torque for passing, however I would've liked to see it turn at 2500RPMs at those speeds. It probably would've provided 3 additional MPGs, and still be good when passing. I suspect this is why the Autoboxes aren't gas guzzlers. But, it's all good considering that on my trip I got great gas mileage.
I did a few tests on my trip this weekend and noticed the following... While driving at 65mph in a 55mph zone, I was doing 25.3 mpg per the trip computer. At 75mph in a 65mph zone, I was doing 24.7 mpg. At 80mph, that dropped to 24.3 mpg, and at 90mph, that dropped to 23.5 mpg. On the return trip I ran a different test. I reset the trip computer when I filled up, and only looked up the consumption when I arrived after the 200miles or so. The trip computer said that I did 24.2 mpg. This included some runs at 90mph, but the majority of the trip at 75mph. I did the math when I filled up by dividing how many miles total and how many gallons I put back in, and it came out to 23.8 mpg. So, it's not too shabby at all considering.
The seats in the car feel great and I'm pretty sure they're the best seats in any car i've owned. Normally I'm always fiddling with the seats to be comfortable, but I haven't had to do that in this car at all since I set them initially. Plus, they weren't tiring my back on the long trip. The alcantara is also a wonderful addition because I'm not sliding around in the car.. However, I wish they were ventilated/cooled seats because on long trips my bottom/back gets a bit hot. The Alcantara I believe traps a bit of heat from my body. Nothing bad at all and most won't notice this. I do however because the M45 this car replaced had the cooled seats, and the AMG has ventilated seats. So I know how those can keep me cool on long trips.
The suspension does feel a bit stiff at times, but it's not an annoying feeling. It's something I expected considering what the vehicle is. The B&O systems is definitely awesome. Cranked it up a bit at times and it's a great system for a stock vehicle. Definitely worth the money. The MMI system is also great. This system puts Mercedes to shame. I haven't played much with Infiniti's new nav system, but I've seen it from the loaner vehicles they've given me before and it was a great system as well. However, the graphics in the S5 are definitely better than those in the Infiniti. The 3D map with the buildings when in downtown areas were very good. The voice guidance is different than the japanese system, but still very good. And the nav traffic, is definitely great. Helped me out when getting out of D.C. traffic.
With all this said, now come the negative things I've noticed. They aren't much, and some are minor, but they're still there. For all the guys with clutch issues, I can definitely see how this car can develop clutch issues. I haven't done a launch of the car because of what I felt when I pushed the car to redline. The higher you rev the car, the more of the vibration you feel in the pedal. This is aggravated when doing a quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This just should not be. I've had that feeling in my supras from back in the day, but those cars were tuned, and they always developed clutch issues. I don't know what the setup of this clutch is, but Audi did a poor job there I believe. You should definitely not have those vibrations in the clutch pedal on a stock vehicle even if you're at redline. So, in order to not encounter any problems, I don't plan on doing any clutch drops when launching the car. So, I'd recommend you guys out there to be careful when you're racing from a stop.
I really dislike how Audi chooses to do certain things and not give you the freedom to choose how you want to utilize you vehicle. Example of this is how the instrument cluster is backlit during the day when the switch is in the off position. However when approaching sunset, the instrument cluster isn't backlit anymore so I'm forced to either turn the lights on, or the parking lights. Another example is how I can't turn on my mirrors heat function to get rid of fog when I need to. Audi decides to turn that on automatically based on a ambient temperature. Or the fact that the car always defaults to the Auto setting on the Audi drive select. I know some of these can be addressed through VAG COM, but I really shouldn't have to.
One thing that was great on the Infiniti was the way I could set my default screen to be Nav screen for example. So if I were to go into any other menu, I could set it up to revert back to my default screen after so many seconds. So for example, if my default screen was the nav system, and I went into the audio screen for something. Once I'm done, after 10 seconds it would revert back to the map screen. Same thing if my default screen was the audio screen. Mercedes doesn't do this either so no big complaint there.
And the biggest gripe for me at the moment is the lack of an AC screen in the MMI. Unless I'm missing something. I'd like to be able to display the full AC System on the MMI just like I can choose Map, or Audio or whatever. Yes I can select each button individually, and I can see the temp I've set right there on the dash, however a full AC Screen on a button would be very useful. In my opinion it would've been better than the info button.
Like I said, these complaints are minor and aren't diminishing any of the fact that this is a great vehicle and I'm happy with my purchase, but they're things that could make Audi an exceptional brand.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Nose heavy is an understatement.

Have you noticed that the engine must be on to operate the windows or Homelite? How about having to reset the radio preset buttons every time you start the car.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Nose heavy is an understatement.

Have you noticed that the engine must be on to operate the windows or Homelite? How about having to reset the radio preset buttons every time you start the car.
The engine does NOT need to be on to operate the windows or Homelink. Only the accessories.

Last edited by HoustonA5; 09-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great short-term review!

The S5 is also my first VW product and I'm having a great experience. I agree with most everything you said except I don't have any clutch vibration when launching hard or near redline. I'm at about 15k miles.

Regarding the backlit instrument cluster, leave it on Auto. The system will sense the light brightness outside and turn on the lights in the cluster while the DRLs will say on. Eventually, once it gets dark enough, it will switch the low beams on. I noticed the same issue you mentioned if I leave it set to Off, where the cluster would be too dark. The Auto setting fixes this seamlessly. Is there a reason you manually change your lights to on/off?

Also, my engine doesn't need to be on to operate the windows or Homelink.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Omeletpants, I don't have to have my engine running as long as I don't open the door after shutting off the car. But yea, noseheavy is an understatement. Very surprised at how nose heavy it is. But it's ok since it's not a track car. Audi could easily resolve this in their performance cars if they want. I believe they just need to move their transmissions to the rear of the cars. This should allow them to move the engines far enough back that it would be sitting aft the front axle. But i'm just a consumer, what do I know?

iinviktus, there's definintely a vibration in the pedal when approaching redline. From my experience, this is usually attributed to the clutch system's design. It's not as smooth as it could be for a stock vehicle. Go test drive a 370Z and drive it hard and see how the clutch pedal feels. You'll see how butter smooth it is no matter where you are in the rev range. Compare that to the S5 and you'll see what I mean. The vibration is very faint but it's there. I may go test drive an M3 to see how that feels as well. Perhaps it's just a german thing.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
The engine does NOT need to be on to operate the windows or Homelink. Only the accessories.
Hmmm. in the accessory position neither work for me. Is there some MMI setting needed?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yea, and I hate the fact that I can't read my tire pressure through the car's electronics. I know it's monitoring, but you can't see what the pressure is. This was very helpful on the Infiniti because I can see all 4 individual pressures and know that I'm approaching low PSI. I can use a gauge, but why do so when the car is already reading those numbers for you... I guess it's a german thing because Mercedes is the same way.
If anything is very annoying, this is the one thing.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sports diff doesn't help with the understeer?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sorcereur
Omeletpants, I don't have to have my engine running as long as I don't open the door after shutting off the car. But yea, noseheavy is an understatement. Very surprised at how nose heavy it is. But it's ok since it's not a track car. Audi could easily resolve this in their performance cars if they want. I believe they just need to move their transmissions to the rear of the cars. This should allow them to move the engines far enough back that it would be sitting aft the front axle. But i'm just a consumer, what do I know?

iinviktus, there's definintely a vibration in the pedal when approaching redline. From my experience, this is usually attributed to the clutch system's design. It's not as smooth as it could be for a stock vehicle. Go test drive a 370Z and drive it hard and see how the clutch pedal feels. You'll see how butter smooth it is no matter where you are in the rev range. Compare that to the S5 and you'll see what I mean. The vibration is very faint but it's there. I may go test drive an M3 to see how that feels as well. Perhaps it's just a german thing.
I used to have a G37 coupe (same motor and trans) as the 370Z, and the vibration wasn't in the clutch pedal at redline, it was the whole front end, as the motor at redline was very rough.

I don't have the vibration at all in my car. Have you driven other S5's?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove 2 of them (both were 2010 models) a few months ago when I was deciding which car I wanted to purchase. They both had that feel in the pedal.
Maybe vibration is a bad word to use but believe me it's not as silky smooth as I expect it to be. Years of tuning supras and fixing car issues have made me detect/feel certain things in vehicles that most don't even notice. Either way, I'm just not going to be dropping the clutch in this car anytime soon. ^_^

Quick Reply: In-depth review of my 2011 S5 after 1000miles