Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

In-depth review of my 2011 S5 after 1000miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorcereur
I test drove 2 of them (both were 2010 models) a few months ago when I was deciding which car I wanted to purchase. They both had that feel in the pedal.
Maybe vibration is a bad word to use but believe me it's not as silky smooth as I expect it to be. Years of tuning supras and fixing car issues have made me detect/feel certain things in vehicles that most don't even notice. Either way, I'm just not going to be dropping the clutch in this car anytime soon. ^_^
Maybe the word you're looking for is "coarse."
Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

IIRC, the TPMS used in the newer Audi no longer use sensors attached to the rim (which can sense the actual tire pressure) versus the newer wheel speed sensors. The newer method is based on the idea that a tire with lower pressure with have a lower overall diameter (under load). Therefore requires the tire to make more revolutions (relative to the three other wheels) and that triggers the TPMS alert.

I think the reason why Audi stopped using the dedicated sensors is due to cost and potential damage that can occur when mounting/dismounting the tire from the wheel.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
The sports diff doesn't help with the understeer?
The sports diff can help reduce understeer or, under proper conditions, lead to a touch of oversteer. I have yet to set my Sports Diff setting explicitly to Dynamic (I haven't switched mine to Dynamic yet), so I haven't been able to really tell.

As far as the S5 being nose heavy, while the new platform helps distribute more weight rearward, you still have a pretty heavy engine up front. While it is an apples-to-orange comparison, my S5 does feel a less nose heavy than my 2004 A4 3.0.

One of the ways that Audi can make huge improvements in that area is to go with a layout that the GT-R uses (which divorces the transmission from the back of the engine and allows the front of the engine is pushed further back relative to the front differential).
Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

The reason the dash lights dim while dusk is approaching is to tell you that your headlights are not on. I think this is a great feature. In a lot of cars that have electoluminescent lit dash lights, they are always on and if headlights are not set to auto, those drivers continue driving in the dark with only their DRL's on(not awesome Audi ones), unaware that their headlights are not on.

I agree 100% with you about the clutch vibration. I think vibration is a perfect word as that is what is felt in the pedal with greater intensity the higher the revs. I have test driven three S5's and they all have this problem. I would love to drive someone's car that is void of this issue to see if that's really the case. I have also driven an S4 with the 3.0T and an A5 with the 2.0T and they do not have this vibration. Audi is aware of it but has chosen not to pursue a fix for it (per my dealer rep).
Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not see this addressed by anyone else.
Regarding the mirror heat, do you have the button shown in the pic.
This will give rear window and side mirror defrost.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 09-08-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
I did not see this addressed by anyone else.
Regarding the mirror heat, do you have the button shown in the pic.
This will give rear window and side mirror defrost.
the heat switch is in the power mirror
Switch. Just turn it to the middle.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd love to drive an S5 that doesn't have that "coarse" feeling in the pedal that I'm talking about. Either way, I'm not worried about it too much. I suspect that the problem is in the throwout bearing design on the pressure plate.

Regarding the dash lights, my issue with the Auto setting on the switch is that, even though I set the Auto ON to the late setting in the MMI, the lights still come on pretty early.. At least when compared to my other vehicles. So I prefer to leave the switch to the OFF setting.
I figured the dash lights were going off towards dusk so that I can turn on the lights but it's silly. Audi could've just put a light in the dash or something letting you know when your lights are on, or when u're on the DRLs, like other manufacturers do. Again, no big deal. Just a bit annoying. Getting used to it.

questionlp, that's the exact setup I was referring to. Well, I was more thinking about the old Porsche (I believe 924), that had a similar setup with the transmission in the back. But yea, the GT-R is the latest example. Makes it for a much better balanced vehicle. I'm surprised Audi didn't do that at least for the RS5. Would've made it a much better handling car and probably given it better reviews when compared to the M3.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sorcereur
Audi could've just put a light in the dash or something letting you know when your lights are on, or when u're on the DRLs, like other manufacturers do. Again, no big deal. Just a bit annoying. Getting used to it.
The parking light symbol near the light switch turns green when your lights are on...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My experiences at 4000 miles

I had the chance to make a long trip (about 1200 miles round trip) during a heatwave this summer. I chose not to fly because I had just gotten a new S5.

GAS MILEAGE---I can report about the same overall mileages as posted above: better than I expected.

SEATS---Having the ventilated seats would be an advantage, though I note that I only felt this way after getting in the car with it having sat for a while in 90 plus degree temps in the sun. It's hard to get the seat back cool after that while you are sitting in it.

CLUTCH VIBRATION--I've notived it 3 times in 4000 miles, and I believe it is more user error, or getting used to the car's quirky clutch. I never had this issue with my 2005 S4. It has only happened when shifting in lower gears during "spirited" driving--never at any other time---yet. Time will tell. As people get more mileage on them we can all see how the clutches wear and if it is a design flaw ot a user issue.

POWER---I probably do not need to say anything about this, it is just seamless delivery at all times. A short story, though---I had an experience with a Shelby outside Cleveland, Ohio (where I drove to on my trip) at a red light. I beat her off the line. Of course, it was a flat, straight road very early in the morning with no one else on it and she had sooo much more horsepower. It helped that it was a very pretty lady driving the Shelby. I don't mind getting spanked by a girl...when she looks like that, anyway, and drives a Shelby.

COMFORT--It is a luxury car, no doubt about it. I don't have any gripes with the conveniences. Personal preferences being what they are.

WOW FACTOR--I get comments almost every day that I drive this car. People jockey around on the highway to get a better look at what I'm driving. It is a bit unnerving, but in terms of bang for the buck, I never had these reactions with much more expensive vehicles (BMW, Mercedes).