Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Did your last car have more power than the 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did your last car have more power than the 2.0T

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a while and have seen a poster or two dropping from a car with better performance to the 2.0T engine and they didn't seem to mind. Currently, I'm in a '08 335i coupe.

I would like my next car to be a convertible. I test drove the A5 cab last week and it was surprisingly quicker than I had imagined. I will be financing my next car instead of leasing so I'm wondering if I'll be fine with the A5 cab for the next 5-7 years.

I'm just wondering if anyone went from anything like a 335i and dropped down to the turbo-4 and regretted it. If you don't mind just responding with what you used to drive, that would be really helpful.

Thanks a ton guys...
Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I have had my 2.0 A5 6MT for a month and am pleased with the performance of the engine for the most part. I would like quicker throttle response in 1st but that can be remedied with an ECU upgrade. I don't think of the performance as fast as much as it's quick. Driving in a city environment is good enough for me.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I have had my 2.0 A5 6MT for a month and am pleased with the performance of the engine for the most part. I would like quicker throttle response in 1st but that can be remedied with an ECU upgrade. I don't think of the performance as fast as much as it's quick. Driving in a city environment is good enough for me.
Thanks for the response. I don't drive like I used to and wonder if I need all the power my current car has, hence I'm thinking about dropping down. I just don't want to be stuck 2-3 years now wishing I had waited the extra year to save for the s5. I was looking to buy sometime this summer...
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiSTL
Thanks for the response. I don't drive like I used to and wonder if I need all the power my current car has, hence I'm thinking about dropping down. I just don't want to be stuck 2-3 years now wishing I had waited the extra year to save for the s5. I was looking to buy sometime this summer...
I was surprised when I drove the 2.0t after driving the S5. While the raw power of the S5 is substantial, there are a few downsides: first, the engine/exhaust is very loud and obvious in the cabin. The S5 feels top heavy as it weighs 300lbs more and it's all in the engine compartment. To me the A5 feels more nimble. Obvious difference in gas milage. Another issue many don't discuss is the seats. I'm tall but not fat and the S5 seats are fairly narrow. You will find a number of comments on the forums where people complain about them being uncomfortable. Also the wrap-around side bolsters are subject to wear from getting in and out of the car. The A5 seats are flatter yet still offer nice support.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was surprised when I drove the 2.0t after driving the S5. While the raw power of the S5 is substantial, there are a few downsides: first, the engine/exhaust is very loud and obvious in the cabin. The S5 feels top heavy as it weighs 300lbs more and it's all in the engine compartment. To me the A5 feels more nimble. Obvious difference in gas milage. Another issue many don't discuss is the seats. I'm tall but not fat and the S5 seats are fairly narrow. You will find a number of comments on the forums where people complain about them being uncomfortable. Also the wrap-around side bolsters are subject to wear from getting in and out of the car. The A5 seats are flatter yet still offer nice support.
On the topic of seats - the Recaro style seats in the S5 are meant to hold you in place during hard cornering. I tend to drive like Michael Schumacher wherever I go, so I prefer seats with tall side-bolsters. Just pointing out that there is a point to the design, and while some may find them uncomfortable, others will find them a necessity...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by elf_cruiser
On the topic of seats - the Recaro style seats in the S5 are meant to hold you in place during hard cornering. I tend to drive like Michael Schumacher wherever I go, so I prefer seats with tall side-bolsters. Just pointing out that there is a point to the design, and while some may find them uncomfortable, others will find them a necessity...
Not disagreeing. Many like them but they should be tested because they aren't for everyone.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not disagreeing. Many like them but they should be tested because they aren't for everyone.
True. My current car has them now so I'm not worried about the seats. I'm pretty average height and weight...Plus, I think I'll be getting the Comfort package for the neck heaters so it's probably a moot point for me...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I recommend taking some time to test drive the 2.0T in various situations before making up your mind. I went the opposite direction - from a 2.0T B7 A4 to the 3.2 A5 - and dont think i would relish the proposition of getting a 2.0T again (never say never though ). Apart from the horse power, there were other factors like smoothness, torque at high RPMs etc. The 2.0T I had always seemed to tire north of 4K revs, but that might not be the case with the new engine now.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2.0T. My last car was a Saab 9-2x Aero (which was a rebadged Subaru WRX with 227 hp in a lighter car than the Audi). It had HUGE turbo lag--very slow off the line until about 2500 rpm. But it was faster than the 2.0T to 60 mph once it got going (probably about 1.3 sec faster 0-60). The turbo lag of the 2.0T is much less of a hindrance moving through city traffic than that of the Saab, which for me compensates for the reduced hp. The gas mileage in the city is about the same for both cars; the Audi does better on the highway. So I don't miss the added power.

I test-drove a 335ix, but the harsh ride (due to the run-flats) was a major turnoff even though the engine is smoother-running than the Audi's.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

went from an 03 350z to 03 g35 coupe to the a5 2.0T

significant drop in hp

i do miss it sometimes

i leased the a5 and will probably opt for something with more hp when the lease is up.

if $ were no issue then id get the s5 over the a5

Quick Reply: Did your last car have more power than the 2.0T