Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Difference between s line and not s line

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between s line and not s line

Hello.
i am going to buy an audi a5 from 2009- 2011. I am wondering what is the difference between s line and non s line?

Last edited by Roberi; 06-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a few visual differences. The front bumper is different which also includes the fog light positioning.
The rear bumper is different which means the rear diffusers are different.
There's a slight difference in the seats and steering wheel as well.
S-Line came with the blade type sideskirts and the non S-Line did not.
Basically, the S-Line is just a visual/cosmetic difference to the non S-Line.
My non S-Line came with the Premium Package and Technology Package. As such, it has a lot more options/appointments then the average S-Line models.

What you want to do is go through the various pdf docs of this model guide link for the cars your considering and compare what the potential options.
https://www.audiworld.com/audiworld-...guide-audi-a5/

Next step in your shopping process is to get a copy/pic of the options codes list for the cars that you're considering. Every Audi A5 has one. They're usually located in the trunk and possibly in the spare tire area or perhaps the previous owner has it with their owner's manual. At any rate, ensure you gat one. If not available, walk away.
This is my options codes list for my 2008 A5.

The next thing you want to do is decipher those codes.
Use these decoders;
VAG Codes
VAG Option Codes
VW Group Option Codes Decoder

Although you mentioned an A5 from 2009to 2011, I would strongly suggest to stay away from 2011 and newer. the reason being is the 2.0T engine which has a very poor track record for many areas. It wasn't til 2013/14 where Audi got those engine issues sorted out.
I would strongly suggest an A5 from 2008 to 2010 because those are the only years that had the 3.2L V6 engine. So far, that 3.2L engine has proven to be one of the best and most reliable of Audi engines to date for all of the A5's and for similar year other Audi models. Please stay away for those 2.0T engines from those years.
Good luck.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I forgot this link as well.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vindecoder.php

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...sible-2949015/
Judging by your other thread/query about retrofitting nav and parking sensors after the fact and your obvious concern for cost, makes me think you're on an extremely tight budget - and I get that. So was I. But here's the thing, it's common knowledge that trying to retrofit options after the fact will be more costly that buying a car already fitted with that option. If it means getting an older model and/or one with higher mileage to satisfy those option needs, then make it so.

You're going to find a bucket load of A5's with the 2.0T engines for sale and there's a good reason for that. They're trying to unload that problem engine with oil consumption issues and can issues, etc etc.
To make your search easier, select only 2008 to 2010 inclusive with the 3.2L engine. This will weed out a lot for you.
What is your budget and what area are you shopping?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, I gave you that Audi model link 3 weeks ago which should have answered your initial query about differences between S-Line and Non S-Line.
You have to actually open those model line pdf docs and read the options listed for the S-Line in those model guide brochures/links.
There's not going to be straight forward data that clearly states S-Line has this and non S-Line has that. Although you may find member posts that may share that specific info in various threads.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you so much for a long answer.
Firstly, I am not really on a tight budget. The thing is that I am in Norway and there is not a lot of A5s out for sale here. I cannot afford a new one so I have to get a used one. So I have to choose of what is available, and none of the cars does have MMI. all of them have audi concert

You answer about the differences from s line and non sline line makes me a lot wiser! Thanks.
I have found one A5 from 2011 with a 2.0T engine. The engine has been replaced by audi in norway to fix the oil consumption problem and has a warranty until 2021. And the owner has documents on everything. What do you think about that?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having all of the servicing records is a big plus. Having documentation of the engine being replaced is also a big plus however, I would confirm if it was actually replaced and not rebuilt. The rings were to flaw and it required a complete engine teardown to do the required repair. If those 2 things are in check, I would ask for the VIN number and do your own search for any other possible TSB's that might affect it. TSB's like front lower control arms, airbag controller power supply module, etc etc.
There are lots of sources for looking up TSB's for your VIN. This forum has one as well.
After that is done, ask for that options codes list pic/pdf or whatever format they may have scanned it to and plug those different options codes into those decoders I posted earlier. Be insistent about getting it. If they don't seem to understand what you're asking for, show them that pic above I posted. All of the options codes list sheets look like that. You can see by the fingers holding it at the top that it's a small piece of paper/sticker.
Good luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks! The engine was replaced, with all the documentation and still 2 year warranty on the engine. The car also have all of the other documentations on it. I ended up buying it and I am really happy with it!

the only thing that I dont like is that it does not seem to have bluetooth handsfree. I have the TEL button but wheb I press it it says that phone is not installed and I cant see any bluetooth devices on my phone when I search for it.

do you know how I can retrofit that?