Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Dimished value Claim

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimished value Claim

Back in July my fully-loaded 2010 S5 Cab with <5k miles was hit in a parking lot while I was inside having lunch. After lots of negotiating, I got Progressive Insurance to pay my preferred repair facility to fix the car. It's still not perfect--probably never will be--but they did a pretty good job.

I am now pursuing a "diminished value" claim against the insurance company. Because no matter how good the repair, the car will never be worth as much as one that was not damaged and repaired. BTW, the damage was @ $7000.

Progressive has agreed to pay out on the diminished value claim, so now we're just haggling over the amount.

If you have successfully pursued a diminished value claim, I'd like to know how much you got and the specifics of your car.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=topdowns5;24057988]Back in July my fully-loaded 2010 S5 Cab with <5k miles was hit in a parking lot while I was inside having lunch. After lots of negotiating, I got Progressive Insurance to pay my preferred repair facility to fix the car. It's still not perfect--probably never will be--but they did a pretty good job.

I am now pursuing a "diminished value" claim against the insurance company. Because no matter how good the repair, the car will never be worth as much as one that was not damaged and repaired. BTW, the damage was @ $7000.

Progressive has agreed to pay out on the diminished value claim, so now we're just haggling over the amount.

If you have successfully pursued a diminished value claim, I'd like to know how much you got and the specifics of your car.

Thanks![/QUOTE
my car was recently damaged too and i would also like to recover the diminished value for my car. please keep me posted and i will also keep you update when i hear from my insurance auto damage adjuster.
thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll try to get further details, but my co-worker just went through this. She has a fairly new VW Eos cabriolet and the damage was extensive. I think it was c. $16,000 in damages. After much haggling and appraisals she finally got a check for $4-5,000 for diminished value. I'll try to get more specifics tomorrow.

Was your damage purely cosmetic? Hers had significant issues affecting the driveability of the car.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Future Audi owner?
I'll try to get further details, but my co-worker just went through this. She has a fairly new VW Eos cabriolet and the damage was extensive. I think it was c. $16,000 in damages. After much haggling and appraisals she finally got a check for $4-5,000 for diminished value. I'll try to get more specifics tomorrow.

Was your damage purely cosmetic? Hers had significant issues affecting the driveability of the car.
mine is still in the collision center. mostly cosmetic but also damaged tire probably radiator. will find out exact details next week.
thx
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Top down 5. I am an expert in this field and just won a 21K case against a dealer on the same thing. If you want PM me with your number and I will give you some advise. You are also due " Loss of Use"
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by artiseenu
mine is still in the collision center. mostly cosmetic but also damaged tire probably radiator. will find out exact details next week.
thx

If you need a radiator check to see if the Radiator support was replaced, if so you have what is considered frame damage and that will have to be disclosed when the car is sold,thus a larger claim.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wreck111
If you need a radiator check to see if the Radiator support was replaced, if so you have what is considered frame damage and that will have to be disclosed when the car is sold,thus a larger claim.
appreciate your advice.
will contact you next week directly to seek more.
thx
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this thread is right up my alley. I was in a similar situation last year, but didn't know about diminished value until after I had my car fixed. Bascially a truck dropped debris on the freeway and I caught up to him and filed the report and won. His insurance paid for the my repainted front bumper, but the color still does not fully match. This has had me in knots since it happened, but I figured it was too late to get the diminished value added in. Is there a time limit to this? Can it be applied to something more minor like a repainted bumper? I figure when I go to sell my car one day, if someone really looks, they will be able to tell.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Wow, this thread is right up my alley. I was in a similar situation last year, but didn't know about diminished value until after I had my car fixed. Bascially a truck dropped debris on the freeway and I caught up to him and filed the report and won. His insurance paid for the my repainted front bumper, but the color still does not fully match. This has had me in knots since it happened, but I figured it was too late to get the diminished value added in. Is there a time limit to this? Can it be applied to something more minor like a repainted bumper? I figure when I go to sell my car one day, if someone really looks, they will be able to tell.
Sorry to say but on an 03 bumper it would be hard if not impossible to get anything. The plastic bumper will always fade faster than the rest of the car. On a 03 not much loss in value, if anything probably increased it
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wreck111
Sorry to say but on an 03 bumper it would be hard if not impossible to get anything. The plastic bumper will always fade faster than the rest of the car. On a 03 not much loss in value, if anything probably increased it
Sorry, I should have clarified. The car is a 2008 IS250. Same question proposed...

Quick Reply: Dimished value Claim