Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

E-brake question...Has anyone started their car, waited....and when ready to

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-brake question...Has anyone started their car, waited....and when ready to

go, you reached to disengage the e-brake but was already disengaged. You scratch your head and wonder if the e-brake was not engaged at all or somehow you did it but forgot. I think I left mine disengaged one night. A little scary. The old fashioned pull up lever was a reassurance for me. Now it's a matter of making sure the brake light comes on.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're aware that with your seatbelt on, it will dissengage once you depress the clutch..?

If you depress the clutch even slightly once you're in gear the e-brake lets go automatically. Perhaps this is happening, or do you mean before you've even attempted moving?

I've learned to just leave the car in gear when someone else is going to drive it and forget about using the E-brake, it's just too confusing for some people.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Didn't know that Ros...that's probably what happened...I'll check that out

next time.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did not know that, always thought same kcee...unrelated question sorta...

I just leave the damn thing in gear. I really don't like the e-brake at all.

SO...on the advanced key...does the car know you are near and unlock? Likewise on the e-brake issue I often come back to my car (knowing I locked it with my touch) to find it unlocked by the time I get to it a few hours later. Always leaves me wondering...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I am always afraid I forgot to lock it too.. here are my methods;

I have the mirrors on auto fold when I lock it, so I can visually see that the car is locked. I always use the 'touchpad' on the the door handle to lock the car. (sometimes it doesn't work, and I use the key)

The car unlocks itself when your hand is within an inch or so of the door handle(and you have the key on your person)

For some reason I am scared to leave my car in gear, mainly because on the Lotus Elise the car will start without the clutch engaged (regardless of whether or not you're in gear) and one time I crushed boxes in my garage. Luckily, I didn't crush the bumper.