Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Electronic folding side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic folding side mirrors?

I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I'm still confused whether or not this option exists on the 2010 S5 with 3rd generation MMI. I have a S5 on order so I'm unable to confirm this on my own yet. I thought this was laid to rest and this option was only available on '08. However, I recently went to Audi's website (US) and viewed the tutorial on "3rd generation MMI vehicle settings". About 3/4 of the way through they talk about central locking options, and actually read that list saying "fold mirrors". So, can someone clarify this?
Is there currently an option listed "fold mirrors" in central locking option under car settings. If so, does it pertain to electronically folding them? Perhaps this was intended for the European market, but I found it strange because they have it showing on the US site.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

folding mirrors are available on certain models (r8) that also have the 3G MMI. So I think the overview was a blanket discussion of the 3G MMI with mention of certain models (they should have noted that it is only available on certain models).

The mechanics on the s5 exterior mirrors do not allow the automatically folding mirror capability as many have discussed/explored in other threads.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTKENT
I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I'm still confused whether or not this option exists on the 2010 S5 with 3rd generation MMI. I have a S5 on order so I'm unable to confirm this on my own yet. I thought this was laid to rest and this option was only available on '08. However, I recently went to Audi's website (US) and viewed the tutorial on "3rd generation MMI vehicle settings". About 3/4 of the way through they talk about central locking options, and actually read that list saying "fold mirrors". So, can someone clarify this?
Is there currently an option listed "fold mirrors" in central locking option under car settings. If so, does it pertain to electronically folding them? Perhaps this was intended for the European market, but I found it strange because they have it showing on the US site.
Electronically folding mirrors haven't been available for some time now (MY2008 was the last model year they were available).

A lot of graphics on the Audi of America site are actually of European models (reusing those to save money instead of taking local pics). Hence the confusion.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

They were available for european delivery cars only. need these in the tight spaces they park in.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2006 A4 Cabriolet with folding mirrors, so it isn't just a European market issue, nor just an S5 issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes, I had them in my 06 A4 and miss them a great deal in my B8 (I actually thought it was broken or something when I first got the car)
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not available here anymore on 4 or 5 series. Hey thats what the factory said. I was standing next to an A5 diesel yes diesel that had them. wanted to know how mine could do it. No option to order. Audi will sell you what you want but customs wont let it in under euro delivery. i wanted tinted glass since i live in s florida and they wont install because of crsh testing. our country is nuts. i can drive 150mph in germany but 20 inch wheels would affect it at 80. we are not free here. just think we are.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s5forum
Not available here anymore on 4 or 5 series. Hey thats what the factory said. I was standing next to an A5 diesel yes diesel that had them. wanted to know how mine could do it. No option to order. Audi will sell you what you want but customs wont let it in under euro delivery. i wanted tinted glass since i live in s florida and they wont install because of crsh testing. our country is nuts. i can drive 150mph in germany but 20 inch wheels would affect it at 80. we are not free here. just think we are.
At least you can tint your glass pretty easily aftermarket.

Of course Audi could easily bring a diesel over to the US, or include electronic folding mirrors, but for business reasons they have chosen not to. (Too small a market for one, and cost-cutting measure for the other.)

Euro delivery restrictions really don't have to do with customs - customs is just enforcing DOT policies that require all cars destined for the US to meet US standards and be tested. That's why Audi, BMW, etc only sell for Euro delivery what they otherwise offer in the US.

For better or worse, that's the way things are everywhere - Canada, Europe, and other countries have the same types of local standards that have to be met for a car to be imported.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
yes, I had them in my 06 A4 and miss them a great deal in my B8 (I actually thought it was broken or something when I first got the car)
As a sort of indirectly related bit of info I recently learned that the "all new" 2010 Subaru Outback does not have outside rear view mirrors that can be folded even manually. They are on a fixed mount just like a Buick Lucerne. This seems especially odd since the Outback is heralded as going anywhere off road. My experience is that there are many trees, etc. off-road and I would expect the ability to suck up the girth of the vehicle in some tight spots by folding the mirrors in.
Unless I am mistaken, Audi's can still be manually folded. Is that so - I have a 2008 A4 and I know mine fold by motor.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JTKENT
manual folding was available on 08 and 09 A5, 2010 not available at all.