Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

even more negative reviews...wth was audi thinking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default even more negative reviews...wth was audi thinking...

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/new_car_reviews/article1682005.ece

if only they had just produced the nuvolari...how sweet life would be.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice - Thanks for the post

Again, sounds like Marketing had more influence than the engineers on the A5/S5 models. --Pity.

Hope Audi makes some quick changes before the vehicle is ready to go for the US Market. It is sounding more and more like only an RS5 can save the day. I was really hoping that the chassis changes would make a noticable difference in great handling. Or maybe the reviewer's expectations were set too high since they seem to be based on the Ur-Quattro of the past. Then again, they liked the TT and R8, so we can't discount their opinion entirely...

If the UK reviewers are correct, this doesn't look very good for the upcoming (B8)A4 models.<ul><li><a href="http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/new_car_reviews/article1682005.ece">Link to: TimesOnline.UK</a></li></ul>
Old 04-22-2007, 02:41 AM
RS7

Default Take Everything or Nothing In my Opinion

To me, I love all the Audis on th market however one day when I'm ready to buy one I definitely want to get at least an S model, but more so an RS model. I like to have the ultimate of things and I think its worth it to wait a bit longer and pay a bit more for something really special, whether its a TV, computer or car.

The thing that I like so much about Audi's S and RS models is that they are so much better than anything the competitors put out which really defines them as ultimate cars.

Audi will most surely continue this trend of ultimate cars too, in some ways, perhaps they have reduced some things in their standard models to make the leap to an S or Rs model so much more amazing.

To me this is good but not all people will agree, its understandable though that not everyone is prepared to save up for longer and wait.

The RS5 will most surely be amazing though, it will definitely benefit greatly from the new chassis.

And also, we can't make a judgement of the new A4 until it is released, even though it is similar to the A5; Audi could still make adjustments to it, maybe they even used the A5/S5 as a test to see how the new B8 platform works and what peoples opinions of it would be because they will definitely be selling a lot more A4s than A5s.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hear you, but there was a lot of hype about this new chassis from Audi

and to read that the 'S' model is uninspiring comes across as suprising to me. I really can't see the 4 door (A4/S4) having better handling than the coupe, as it would seem that Audi would place a more sporting emphasis on the A5/S5. I'm sure (as you mentioned) that the RS5 will do much better but it sure would be nice to get a great handling Audi for &lt;$60K.

I don't know, the review made the S5 sound like the definition of an 'American Muscle car' - something that can go fast as long as the road is straight...

UK reviewers do seem to be more critical, so we'll have to see what the rest of the world has to say.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day, "who cares what they say". I'll make my own assumpations when I drive it.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 AM
RS7

Default Your Right, You Should Only Value Your Own Judgement, Not Anyone Elses

That includes not taking advice from the so called expert reviewers. Most have made it to where they are becasue they can crap out wordy columns that take up space on a page, the best review is your own.

After all everyone is an individual, with individual tastes.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:44 AM
RS7

Default Surely the A5/S5 Must Handle Better than Previous Audi's Like the A4/S4?

The reviews havn't really made a comparison to the old chassis; they need to test an A4/S4 and A5/S5 back to back to really see the changes. Their memmories wouldn't be too good as they are always driving different cars.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Andrew Frankel, the author of this story, is also a writer at Autocar...

Andrew Frankel is listed on the masthead of Autocar as the Senior Contributing Editor of Autocar. Mike Duff, the writer of the Autocar First Review article, is the Features Editor.

Perhaps both authors felt the need the need for consistency in the reviews. Interestingly, both writers stated that they do not find the S5 entertaining on the twisty and bumpy sections but fail to elaborate on the reasons why. Dull simply is not a satisfactory answer.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it makes you feel any better, Evo didn't really care for the S5 either.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 AM

Default I have yet to read the Evo review

Therefore, I can not comment on it. So far, the British press, from the articles I have read, prefers the BMW to the Audi. Autobild is the only publication, so far, that has had a very positive review of the new S5.

Quick Reply: even more negative reviews...wth was audi thinking...