Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Experience with child/infant seats in an A5

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Experience with child/infant seats in an A5

I am supposed to pick up my A5 next week, but have one small hurdle to get over. I need to convince my wife that we can manage getting our two young daughters in and out of the rear car seats. I don't think it would be an everyday occurrence, just every once in a while (that's what her RX400h is for).

Anyone use infant/child seats in an A5?

(Tip: as a negotiating tactic, I first asked for an R8. It was vetoed, but, by comparison, it made the A5 seem extremely practical!)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had EXACT same concerns

so, I brought my wife and then 2 year old with me to test drive, and stuck the car seat in the back seat. Surprsignly, it was not difficult at all. The front seats move up pretty far, and it was pretty easy to get him in and out. I too am in a situation where I will only have to pick up the kidddos every once in a while, but I think the S5 (or A5) has a big enough bak seat that it will not be a big deal!

Hope that helps
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We have an eight-week old baby and we get the rear-facing seat in no problem. In fact...

... there seems to be more rear seat room in the S4 than in my wife's A4, so it is nearly as easy to get the seat back there - the seat slips through the door opening fairly easily. With the large trunk, we're able to pack the stroller, golf clubs, and several bags. FYI, we have the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio in part because it was the least bulky of the rear-facing infant seats. We have the baby on the passenger side (since there's no center seat), so my wife just scoots the seat forward. We take my car more than we do her car, including on some road trips. I haven't tried it with convertible/toddler seats, but I would bet that it really wouldn't be a problem. Also, there's enough space that it'd be pretty easy to buckle them in. The only downside would be that, even with plenty of headroom, shoulder room, and decent legroom, visibility won't be great for kids; the side windows are high and narrow, and forward visibility might be limited.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks -- doesn't sound like it will be a problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Been there, done that . . .

A non-issue.

Graco Snug-Ride (infant) and Comfort Sport (reversible seat, forward facing) work fine.

The seats have a one-touch slide forward feature (don't have to hold the button to slide it forward all the way). In this position I can actually sit in the footwell and buckle her in (the kid, not the wife .

Initially I argued that I wouldn't be taking the kids very often. Now, we actually use the A5 for all short trips, since the van is more thirsty, and it's worked out great.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear A/C Vents?

I was wondering about rear A/C vents for kids as well?

Thanks,

John
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I had EXACT same concerns

My two girls 5 & just turned 3 (finally 38 Lbs) fit perfectly in back. Bought 2 Clek Booster seats and they're the best thing in the WOrld. Check the link as mine are the same color.

http://www.magnaclek.com/us/english/default.aspx

The baby blue seats contrast perfectly with the black leather color. BUT check out the latches that snap right into the chair anchors!!! AWESOME. No flying projectile booster seat in the event of an accident. They're a little pricey, but so is the S5.. ;-)

I didn't think the girls would come with me a lot either, but that's totally changed. They always want to ride in "Daddy's S5" rather than Mom's the Honda Ody Touring. They love on-ramps now, but of course, I don't go too fast.

When I shut off the car and get out, the girls unbuckle themselves, fold the seats forward and laugh when it only takes one click to move the "magic" seats forward.<ul><li><a href="http://www.magnaclek.com/us/english/default.aspx">http://www.magnaclek.com/us/english/default.aspx</a</li></ul>
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Rear A/C Vents?

Yes, there are two vents. There are also fan and temp controls just for these vents. Very nice.

(I know this because I picked up my 09 A5 last night!).

Off to buy some car seats! Thanks everyone for the helpful comments about car seats.

Best, muski
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Be careful about which car seats...

I put our two current car seats in today. We have a rear-facing Graco Snugride for our baby and a Britax Marathon for our three-year old.

They did both go in, but neither are a perfect fit.

First, the Snugride with base is kind of bulky. It is actually quite long, so the passenger seat had to be moved forward a bit to give it room. Also, the seat itself only just fits through the door. So a slightly less bulky rear-facing seat might work better.

The Britax Marathon had different fit issues. First, it is quite tall, so the top of the car seat leans against the headrests (even when they are all the way up). Second, the angle of the rear of the Britax seat is much shallower than the slope of the rear seat, so there is a big bottom gap between the car seat and the rear seat, and it also pushes the bottom of the car seat quite far forward. So, I am going to try to find a car seat that is a little shorter and with more seat angle adjustment (or just steeper).

My wife likes the car!

muski