Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Flouting the front plate law...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flouting the front plate law...

As some of you may be aware, most states require license plates to be displayed both front and rear. A few states' citizens have it easier, and only the rear is required. Im wondering how many people in the US have decided to take the chance of not putting on the plate in front, in a state that requires it. I know for all of you who are doing this, it's just temporary (snicker, snicker), but um, anyway, I'd like a show a hands.

Also, does anyone have info on the penalty if this violation gets picked up on?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No front plate ever, in a combined 24 vehicle-years since moving to a state requiring front plates.

Penalties vary by state, but usually it's a fix-it ticket.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Flouting the front plate law...

been a year for me got asked once and luckily i had the plate and the old mounting stuff in the trunk...made up some story about a body shop yada yada yada and the cop told me to put it on when i got home. front plates kill the look of most cars.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i got my A5 in North Carolina
and i live in Virginia
in NC no front plate is required
and my A5 didn't come with a front parking plate holder
does that mean i can get away from putting it on?
if the car does not come with the front plate mount
are you required to drill your bumper to mount it?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had European front plates on all my cars since I was 16

and have never been cited (I've always lived in states with front late laws). That being said, our nanny was cited earlier this year for not having a front plate. Fine was $90 but she went to court and fought it - ultimate result was no fine and her agreement to add a front plate.

Regards,

Derek
Old 07-01-2008, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default a little duct tape...

I'm in upstate NY. A couple of years ago, I was pulled over for speeding while driving my 996TT. 45 in a 35. Cop was in a slightly generous mood and gave me a ticket for no front plate instead. When I got home, I doubled up some duct tape, stuck the plate onto the front bumper cover, squared it up, and took a picture. In traffic court, I showed the picture to the ADA and the ticket was dismissed. I continue to drive that car without the front plate figuring it can't hurt to give the next cop an option too, if they're in the mood.

On a slight tangent, several years back, I got pulled over for speeding on a local interstate by a NYS trooper. I was driving an A6 2.7T with "SNOW DAY" plates (hence my moniker), with a clear plastic cover over the front plate. She was in a good mood (i.e. not pissed off), asked what's up with "SNOW DAY"? (answer: well, a snow day is one of my favorite things - too much snow to go to school, too much snow to go to work, not too much snow to go skiing) (... and got quattro to get me there). She told me plate covers were illegal and told me to take it off when I got home. No ticket.

No four leaf clovers or rabbits feet here though, these are the only times I've gotten out of speeding tickets - there have been plenty of nasty tickets to offset these two encounters.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I keep my front plate next to my spare tire, in the trunk.

I'm forever waiting for the part to come in to the dealer, so I can mount it.

Here in Massachusetts I don't think I'll be pulled over for it, but some cops might give me a hard time. In truth, this car doesnt look terrible with a front plate.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Default In VA, you are supposed to get the dealer to order the front bumper piece...

...that holds a tag. You won't get a break on that, but neither do you have to drill holes.

They are a bit like tightwads in VA about this. I don't have the car yet, but I know from my order form that the tag holder bumper thing has already been ordered. It will probably be in place by the time I take delivery.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Im in NJ, when i first got mu car (not A5), i refused to put a front plate on it

and would say i was pulled over about 3 times in a month's time. Even had a rookie make a U turn to pull me over. So it became such a hassel i just drilled in the plate. NJ lives on the extra cash donations collected by cops.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer never installed a "mount". I'll think of something if I'm ever given a "fix it ticket" but no way in hell am I drilling holes!

The Viper drivers have this one company that makes these "rubber" clamps and you just screw the plates to the clamp. Slips on easily w/o any scratching. We need something similar.

Quick Reply: Flouting the front plate law...