Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Flouting the front plate law...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe you'll get caught. Maybe you won't.

Penalties for running without a required front plate range from a warning to a fairly hefty fine depending on the jurisdiction.

It's a bit like intentionally speeding or tint laws.

There will be hundreds of guys that tell you they've never had a problem but you know the law.
You're intentionally breaking it.
Can't really bitch if you get caught and have to pay.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guilty
Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default been doing it for 10 years and 3 Audi's...no way i am ever putting them on especially on my soon

to be S5. IL requires them but on a TT (no way in hell), an RS6 and an S5 (also no way). Eat parking tickets occasionally (2 or 3 a year) in downtown Chicago for it at $50 a shot now but still worth it to me. Never been stopped for it on the road except 8 years ago by a Barney Fife in BFE outside Chicago who gave me a lecture about it being for everyone's protection to identify offenders coming and going and he gave me a warning.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I did it onece in CA for a car - but no more - BTW someone just posted recently

here that he got ticketed big time for that. Can't remember which forum it was.
I suspect that if you draw attention from the cops they will use that to give you a ticket and possibly more.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Busted!

From November thru April I had on a German plate until I was stopped and only given a warning. It's still on but my Jersey plate is over it along with the same in the rear. People still stare and ask about it. In NJ it's a ticket with fine without points.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default good stuff... still undecided

I'd really like some kind of removable option. You see, most of the time, I couldn't give a rat's **** if a LEO stopped me to say, hey, no front plate, no dice. Here's ticky wicky.

But there is one time I don't want that to happen, and that is when I'm in wine country. You see, this is one of those times that I don't want to be pulled over. Even if you have one drink, and your car is full of drunks, if you get taken off the road there, you can bet you'll be doing the dui test on the side of the road. I'm personally not thinking I want to ever go through that in my life, especially just because I didn't want to put a license plate on the front of my car. I'm going to have to look around here a bit and figure out if I can deal with how it looks. But I just think the non-euro plate really clashes with the shape of the front of the S5. Ya know?

An ideal solution would be a plate you can temporarily hang, that would stay on firmly for as long as you'd like it there.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Anyone figure away to fix the plate on without putting holes in the bumper?

I remember with the b6 people where putting magnets behind the filler panel and getting it to stay on. I would keep the plate on when im in areas that i need to but besides that i wouldnt like to have it on. Being young and in new york with this car is being asked to get pulled over.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Good point: 1) the hassle factor 2) car will attract attention anyway, 3) austere financial...

...times for municipalities will have them scraping the barrel for revenue. Perhaps they will not stop one in some states, but in others, they might just stop you a lot for the heck of it. It isn't as though the car doesn't attract attention.

I fully expect to see a rise in traffic stops generally speaking, in many cities, counties and states, as municipalities look to replace revenue lost by lower property tax revenues.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 AM

Order (code 6W3) Front License Plate Holder from Audi dealer. Much cleaner.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You rolls the dice, you takes your chances....

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, given your situation.

I've lived in many States. Some required front plates. Some didn't.

Front plates never look good but it isn't the end of the world.

I suggest you order the front plate holder from your dealer (if you don't have one already) and just put the required front plate on and get on with life.

It's not worth worrying about.

Quick Reply: Flouting the front plate law...