Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Front license filler in CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

then why does the order guide for a 2013 S5 have a code of 6W3 for a "front license plate holder" or 6W9 code "without front license plate holder"? One or the other is required on order.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
then why does the order guide for a 2013 S5 have a code of 6W3 for a "front license plate holder" or 6W9 code "without front license plate holder"? One or the other is required on order.
You can order front plate holder delete if you live in a state that does not require a front plate.

Then the holder wont get screwed on to your front grille trim.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by d_ziring
Do you know if you can find some black rubber inserts/plugs the size of the holes that would hide them?
Have not found any that fit due to the holes being so close to the trim piece. It's actually dark grey so I used greyish looking self tapping screws with small heads to cover fill them.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello All,
My 2013 S5 is due to arrive in port the first week in October. I asked my salesman at Beverly Hills Audi whether he could tell the port not to drill the holes for my license plate (as I'd like to get one of those that flips up from underneath the car-Show n Go, etc), but he wrote back to tell me that the dealership is required to mount the front license plate by the CA DMV and that he could get me a new filler for $170. Does this sound right?

Thanks
David
I was also told that in CA they are required to drill for the front license plate.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you know if you can find some black rubber inserts/plugs the size of the holes that would hide them?
I am trying to remove the front license plate mount. Does anyone know what kind of screws attach the mount? Are they seem like torx screws.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am trying to remove the front license plate mount. Does anyone know what kind of screws attach the mount? Are they seem like torx screws.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my A5 2011, in Miami, but I live in Michigan, so I didn't want the front plate mount since my state doesn't require a front plate. The service department switched out the entire grill, since they do that when they arrive. So it took less than 30 minutes to change out.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My CA dealer allowed me to order it without the front license plate holder. No holes, no drilling.

Hello All,
My 2013 S5 is due to arrive in port the first week in October. I asked my salesman at Beverly Hills Audi whether he could tell the port not to drill the holes for my license plate (as I'd like to get one of those that flips up from underneath the car-Show n Go, etc), but he wrote back to tell me that the dealership is required to mount the front license plate by the CA DMV and that he could get me a new filler for $170. Does this sound right?

Thanks
David
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ehj
I rejected the idea of a flip-up plate but here's an idea for those states requiring a front license plate, including my state of California. (I have a 2012 A5.) It was simple to remove the unattractive plate holder that came with the car, and then you are left with a rectangular area and holes where the screws were.

I spent about $35 and had my California number made into a German plate (I didn't use the decals); lots of internet web sites make these. Then using 3M double sided tape I pressed the plate into its designed home and it looks perfect.

Not only do I now have a front license plate but it looks very good -- and original. Yes, technically it still is illegal because the vehicle code specifies exact dimensions for the plate but I figure I have good chance to engage the police when stopped, and worst case I can always put the original plastic holder back on.
This would probably be illegal, as your are not displaying an original plate.