Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length before. I searched for "front license plate" before posting but none of the replies helped me. I'm considering getting an A5 and I live in Washington state (WA) where they require you to display the front plate. Is there a kit or mod that replaces the full-length Euro sized plate bar with one that is sized for U.S. plates? I would like to not see the sides of the grey bar when the plate is mounted.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gilles Panizzi
I'm sorry if this has been discussed at length before. I searched for "front license plate" before posting but none of the replies helped me. I'm considering getting an A5 and I live in Washington state (WA) where they require you to display the front plate. Is there a kit or mod that replaces the full-length Euro sized plate bar with one that is sized for U.S. plates? I would like to not see the sides of the grey bar when the plate is mounted.
Your dealer will install a filler panel over the entire factory euro plate area and it will include the bracket for a U.S. plate.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. Both of my dealers are about 50 miles away and I haven't gone into a showroom yet. So when my WA state front plate is installed will there be several inches (about 3 -?) of a grey filler panel visible on either side of the plate? This is what I do not want. Is there a kit or replacement grill or something that just allows a U.S.-size plate to be installed and not have the grey material showing?

I have seen a few Audis driving with the front WA plate installed and it looked like the grey filler panel was visible on both sides. I guess that this is a nitpick of mine - I have never really loved the new BIG Audi grill but I have gotten used to it. It looks fine with an EU plate installed but from what I've seen with U.S. plates the look is a bit awkward.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Blah, just go with no front plates...most cops don't care about that crap and won't pull you over solely for that. Plus even if you do get a ticket..it should just be a "fix it" ticket that's like what, $10? Well worth it IMO to keep that ugliness off such a beautiful car.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know what you mean but in WA they are using any excuse possible to generate more revenue and my record ain't exactly stellar as is (just speeding tix). So, is it possible to install the front plate and not have the filler panel visible?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know what you mean but in WA they are using any excuse possible to generate more revenue and my record ain't exactly stellar as is (just speeding tix). So, is it possible to install the front plate and not have the filler panel visible?
not sure what you mean by filler panal but just picked up my 2010 A5 and it came with an insert that fits perfectly on the euro style for a US plate.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was just repeating what "bb vign" said in Post #2. Again, I have not yet visited a dealer. When you (jeandelli) say that your A5 came with an "insert" that fits perfectly on the Euro style for a US plate, do you mean that you can see the original wide Euro panel to the left and right of the plate? Can anybody please post pics?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was just repeating what "bb vign" said in Post #2. Again, I have not yet visited a dealer. When you (jeandelli) say that your A5 came with an "insert" that fits perfectly on the Euro style for a US plate, do you mean that you can see the original wide Euro panel to the left and right of the plate? Can anybody please post pics?
As far as I know, this is the only option for you if you want to run U.S. plates
Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buiyahkah
Blah, just go with no front plates...most cops don't care about that crap and won't pull you over solely for that. Plus even if you do get a ticket..it should just be a "fix it" ticket that's like what, $10? Well worth it IMO to keep that ugliness off such a beautiful car.
Front plates are required in NJ, and I considered just running without it. But I figured that I didn't want to give a cop any extra incentive to pull me over if he was otherwise inclined to let me slide for going by him too fast.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Front plates are required in NJ, and I considered just running without it. But I figured that I didn't want to give a cop any extra incentive to pull me over if he was otherwise inclined to let me slide for going by him too fast.
My thoughts exactly!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate