Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

FrontTrak FWD v. Quattro? (In LA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FrontTrak FWD v. Quattro? (In LA)

I'm looking at buying a used A5 Cab for driving in LA/SoCal. I was just wondering how much is Quattro worth it in SoCal weather? I'm from up north where Quattro is a must, but down here I think I can get away with the FWD.

The main reason is, I've found two great used ones. One is Premium Plus with the extra options I would like to have (iPod connectivity and B&O Speakers, amongst all the other Premium Plus features) vs. the other is just premium BUT with Quattro. So really is Quattro worth losing those options is what it comes down to for me
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quattro is also very impressive in the rain, so you don't have to live in an area that gets lots of snow to justify AWD. Based on your post however, I'd have no problem going with the extra options in lieu of Quattro, and you'll get a little better gas mileage too.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5fan10
I'm looking at buying a used A5 Cab for driving in LA/SoCal. I was just wondering how much is Quattro worth it in SoCal weather? I'm from up north where Quattro is a must, but down here I think I can get away with the FWD.

The main reason is, I've found two great used ones. One is Premium Plus with the extra options I would like to have (iPod connectivity and B&O Speakers, amongst all the other Premium Plus features) vs. the other is just premium BUT with Quattro. So really is Quattro worth losing those options is what it comes down to for me
Quattro gives you much better handling even in the dry. Much less understeer (and no torque steer). Also, FWD only comes with the POS Multitronic (a.k.a. bicycle transmission)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Owned a 2003 CVT in SoCal for five years and found it to be just fine. There isn't much torque steer in today's modern cars, and I didn't find any with the A4. While Quattro may aid in dry cornering, it also adds weight, which inhibits cornering. Some magazine tests over the years have shown a non-quattro A4 pulls more cornering g's than a quattro model. In the end, I'd say it's a wash. If you can afford it, it's nice. If not, you wouldn't be suffering in any sort of way either.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great, thanks for the insight. I think I'm gonna go with the Quattro.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yup. the resale value is better on a Quattro also. Audi is famous because of the Quattro system. If you are buying an Audi without Quattro, it's like going to a steak house and have pasta.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Owned a 2003 CVT in SoCal for five years and found it to be just fine.
Your '03 has 178 lbs/ft of torque. Not a lot for such a heavy car, so it's no wonder you don't feel any torque steer. The A5 has an extra 80 lbs/ft (and available earlier in the rev range).

Torquey engine + FWD = torque steer. Not much you can do about it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would never get an audi that isn't quattro. It's not thats it is a necessity but it is what audi is famous for. They are not famous for FWD. Audi's AWD system is one of the best there is too. It is also Real wheel biased making for more of a sporty feel with 40% going to the front and 60% rear. With exception of the focus st500 sports cars are never FWD. They are RWD or AWD. I say it is worth every penny.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
Your '03 has 178 lbs/ft of torque. Not a lot for such a heavy car, so it's no wonder you don't feel any torque steer. The A5 has an extra 80 lbs/ft (and available earlier in the rev range).

Torquey engine + FWD = torque steer. Not much you can do about it.
I see your thinking, but it just doesn't seem to ring true with today's modern cars. The suspension is designed to counteract torque steer, and I have yet to hear or read one report stating FWD B8 A4's have any. I know my 2003 had plenty of punch without steering wheel pull.

Hard to imagine, but the majority of A4's sold here in Los Anegeles are CVT's (loss leaders). Audi has gone through great lengths to please the masses. Of course if money were no object, I'd be all over Quattro for that winter weekend jaunt to the mountains.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Hard to imagine, but the majority of A4's sold here in Los Anegeles are CVT's (loss leaders). Audi has gone through great lengths to please the masses. Of course if money were no object, I'd be all over Quattro for that winter weekend jaunt to the mountains.
Considering you are already paying $40,000-$50,000 for a car, another $2000 should hardly make a difference.

On a side note, I can't believe how cheap these cars are in the US. $42,600 for a base A5 Cab...here in Canada, they start at $58K (although you do get Quattro as standard equipment). You can buy an S5 Cab for that money south of the border!

Quick Reply: FrontTrak FWD v. Quattro? (In LA)