Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

FSI engines doomed due to intake manifold carbon build-up ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got almost 30,000 miles on my 3.2 V6 A5 and no problems whatsoever.. it actually runs better these days.. more agile and fast. Should I be concerned? or does this notice only apply to S5's and RS4's??
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It applies to EVERY direct injection engine, not just Audi's. Search the Bimmer and Porsche forums and they have similar problems as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VictoR6
There's some documentation about this problem in one of VAG's patent applications regarding their DI engines. Part of it describes several methods of preventing carbon buildup. One of the solutions included performing an "Italian tune-up" to burn away the residue (I'm not kidding, there's link of the patent somewhere and I read the whole thing). Specifically, you rev it past 3k rpms for 20 minutes, and that makes the engine hot enough to clear any obstructive build-up in the intakes. It's probably a good idea to do it at least once prior to a scheduled oil change.
OH!!! So, you mean, just drive it to work everyday???

Got it!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Default Chevron Techron

This is the recommended solution for this problem in the 1996 Porsche 993. By doing this every oil change I have never experienced a CEL.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q
This is the recommended solution for this problem in the 1996 Porsche 993. By doing this every oil change I have never experienced a CEL.
I can't see that this would help much if the Techron-infused fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, downstream of the valves. Unless there is some sort of concurrent port injection, such as some manufaturers have done, I don't think fuel additives will help much with this type of carbon buildup.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2009 S5 coupe last week. I have been driving it around quit a bit, putting on about 500 miles. After my last trip to Atlantic City, the check engine light came up. I stopped by the auto parts store and they told me it was code P2004 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open.

After some research, I found out it is caused by carbon build-up, with the solution being to clean out the intake manifold. My car is under warranty until 100K miles. I only have 28,000 miles on it now. Does this mean I'll be taking it to the dealear every 25-30K miles to get my intake cleaned?

Oddly enough, I've noticed no performance loss (granted I have only been driving it a week), and no MPG loss. I average 24 mpg to work daily (about 70% highway, 30% local) and got 25.2 coming back from AC.

Is this maintenance covered under warranty? If so, is there a deductible from work performed while under warranty?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default less than 10K on a 2011 S5...

I have around 9,000 miles on the car and it has now been in the shop for 4 days while the dealership deals with the carbon buildup, including first attempting a fuel additive cleaner and then resorting to manual valve cleaning completed yesterday after a cold start still reported a misfire. They want to do one more cold start in the morning to verify that they don't need to also replace an injector. If they do need to, it looks like they will need to keep the car until Tuesday since (of course) they don't have the part in stock. This really sucks and makes me glad I leased if this problem is so severe that it can happen in less than 10K miles...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Q
Does the 993 have carbon build-up issues? I'm going to guess that DI was not added until sometime in the past five years.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would the installation of an OIL CATCH CAN help solve or alleviate the problem?

Some research on the internet shows that this is a fairly widespread problem, and that an OIL CATCH CAN, installed between the PCV and the intake, can solve most or all of the problem.
See:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-f...catch-can.html
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

how much would it cost to manually clean if the vehicle is not under warranty?

Quick Reply: FSI engines doomed due to intake manifold carbon build-up ?