Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Fuel Fill Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Fill Problem

For all those in snow-country, am wondering if any of you are experiencing problems filling your A5/S5s with fuel. Let me first say that when un-screwing the cap there is substantial air pressure holding the cap in and one has to get a good grip and pull kind of hard on the cap to release it. Setting the filler nozzle on 'fast', the nozzle clicks-off quite soon. From then on filling is painfully slow as the nozzle continues to click-off unless the fuel is going in at a rate of around 10 cents a second.

I should mention that we have enough snow here that it is packing around the wheel wells pretty heavily. I was thinking that the fuel tank venting likely exits in the wheel well and the ice now there is preventing that, but I don't know. The Audi dealer here tells me that the fuel tank fumes vent into the tank, but that makes NO sense to me. Air vents FROM the tank, not TO the tank, or so I thought. Maybe it vents back to the engine??? Anyone here have the same experience or thoughts about the tank venting, etc.?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Never experienced this problem, though we haven't had much snow in Toronto this winter (it's +10 and raining right now...)

The "clicking off" is often a result of holding the nozzle at the wrong angle (i.e. pushing it in too much).
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
The "clicking off" is often a result of holding the nozzle at the wrong angle (i.e. pushing it in too much).
Well, be assured that the nozzle has been tried at almost all angles except upside down and at all insertion depths, without any improvement other than the less the nozzle is inserted, the fuel flow is slightly faster, indicating to me that the tank's air is venting out of the filler pipe.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

is this happening at all pumps, or one particular station? i have no problems anywhere, with the exception of one gas station--don't know why...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
Is this happening at all pumps, or one particular station?
This has happened three consecutive times at three different service stations, with three different fill-attendants, including myself.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PetC
Let me first say that when un-screwing the cap there is substantial air pressure holding the cap in and one has to get a good grip and pull kind of hard on the cap to release it.
this alone means that there is a venting problem.
excessive pressure from the fuel tank goes into a carbon filter.
from there it goes into the free air.
the fumes certainly don't go into the tank, as this would increase the pressure in the tank, when the outside temps. are rising high in summer (can't wait )

but it seems you have 2 venting problems.
not only can't you get rid of over-pressure, but pulling hard on the filler-cap, to open it, says you have an under-presure problem as well.

the dealer is giving you the run-around !!!!

can't you park the car in a heated garage, so you can loose all the snow and ice that has been built up ??
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The air filter connected to the fuel tank is behind the rear driver side wheel liner. If you park your car after a long drive and hear thumping noise from the rear then your filter is mostlikely to be clogged. Replacement part is sold at dealer for around $50. This is a very simple DIY project.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default filling up

Originally Posted by BlueSander
The air filter connected to the fuel tank is behind the rear driver side wheel liner. If you park your car after a long drive and hear thumping noise from the rear then your filter is mostlikely to be clogged. Replacement part is sold at dealer for around $50. This is a very simple DIY project.
the fumes not suppose to vent to the air, they get pushed to the charcoal canister where they liquify and then send to the engine when is running,
the filter is to filter the air the pump uses to pressurize the tank during testing, is possible in the past you overfilled the tank and saturated the canister, since is so cold the liquid has not yet vaporize enought to clear the charcoal and send to the engine, try not filling up the tank all the way for a while so it has room to evaporate the liquid to the engine and dry
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Problem solved. After the car broke down (fuel starved) on the highway and had to be towed into Audi, they discovered that the roll-over valve had failed. Apparently this valve stops fuel from venting and spilling fuel out of the fill pipe and also shuts down the fuel pump when the car flips. Its progressive failing prevented fuel from properly filling the tank - my initial problem. When it fails, it really fails. Because air was prevented from venting, and the fuel pump continued to pump, the fuel tank partially collapsed. They are replacing the tank, pump, carbon canister and roll-over valve. I presume they do a wheel alignment since the entire rear wheel assembly comes out to replace this equipment (fuel tank, at least).
Thanks to all contributors here.

Last edited by PetC; 01-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.