Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Going to get a used A5, I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to get a used A5, I have some questions

I'm going to get a used manual A5 coupe between 2008 and 2011, probably 3.2 Quattro instead of 2.0T because it sounds like the extra power is worth the price. Did any of these models have problems or recalls or anything that owners could complain about? Did any of these years get much better reviews than other years?

Any info will be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Badinboarder
I'm going to get a used manual A5 coupe between 2008 and 2011, probably 3.2 Quattro instead of 2.0T because it sounds like the extra power is worth the price. Did any of these models have problems or recalls or anything that owners could complain about? Did any of these years get much better reviews than other years?

Heh.. I just got out of a 3.2 Q5, and after 2 years of owning it I had to get the carbon buildup service done. Luckily it was covered by warranty, but you might want to investigate the 2.0T that doesn't have carbon buildup issues over the 3.2 that does.

Just read up on the carbon buildup problem Audi is having with their 3.2 V6 before you buy one. You should find lots of threads and pictures if you search the forums. I know the Q5 forum is usually talking about it.

As for comparing the 2.0T vs 3.2, don't assume there is no replacement for displacement. The 2.0T is lighter, has more torque, and delivers that torque quicker. And if you want more power, go get the engine software of the 2.0T modded.

I found a nice Car&Driver review that explains it all away quite nicely. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

Good Luck!

-Marc
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you are dead set on the 3.2 with a manual, then you will be limited to the 2008 and 2009 model years however, I do see that you are in Canada so I am not sure if they sold the 3.2 with a manual after 2009 (in the US, they did not). When I was looking at my A5 in 2010, I was leaning towards the 3.2 as well and event though I had the 2.0T in my 2006 GTI and loved it, I felt that the GT nature of the A5 would lend itself better with the 3.2. But because Audi no longer brought the manual with the 3.2 in 2010 the choice was made for me as not having a manual was a deal breaker. Two years later, and I do not regret for a minute having the 2.0T...its a sweet engine and works great in the A5. My best advice is to drive both if you can and make your decision
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.2 Q5

I've owned a three year old 3.2 Q with only a water pump replacement problem. Our 3.2 Q5 currently has 53K and feels as powerful as three years ago when we purchased.

The carbon build-up is a known problem with this engine as well as other NA engines. However, if you run this engine hard, let it reach operating temp. for an extended period and use 93 octane. You should be fine. Many problems have occurred in places where premium fuel 89/91 is not the best (Canada) and people who baby the car IMO.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually, I'm from North Carolina. Thanks for the insight into the 3.2 engine problems and the lack of a manual. I really appreciate it. I don't know much about cars or how to fix them, so if there is problems with the 3.2, i'll probably stay away from it. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
I've owned a three year old 3.2 Q with only a water pump replacement problem. Our 3.2 Q5 currently has 53K and feels as powerful as three years ago when we purchased.

The carbon build-up is a known problem with this engine as well as other NA engines. However, if you run this engine hard, let it reach operating temp. for an extended period and use 93 octane. You should be fine. Many problems have occurred in places where premium fuel 89/91 is not the best (Canada) and people who baby the car IMO.
Agreed. All those things are suspected to extend the period between having the carbon problem looked at. I just have a few problems with all that:

1. Those are all just accommodations "we" Audi drivers make because of our bias for the brand. I really don't think that is right from a premium car company. I'm buying a daily driver, not an exotic sports car. It shouldn't come with those kinds of conditions on it's operation.

Maybe I missed that part of the owners manual.. the section entitled "Your new 3.2L engine has a condition which could lead to catastrophic carbon buildup that is expensive to fix. Here are all the extra things you need to do in order to slow down the carbon buildup.."

2. The reality is that the engine has a design problem that needs to be fixed. I'm no mechanic or engineer; so this is just my opinion. I would think that if Audi has a problem with their naturally aspirated FSI engines, they'd start pulling them from their line-up; replacing them with turbo or supercharged models that apparently don't suffer the same carbon buildup problems. ( hmmmmm... :P )

3. I found out about the carbon problem *after* I got it. I have a 12km commute through city traffic. I only did longer drives on weekends, and road trips about once a month. I didn't get to stretch the legs of my Q5 like I should have. I did use premium gas (Shell V-Power 91, Sunoco Ultra 94), but apparently that wasn't enough.

Thanks for the reply. Now the original poster to the thread has both sides of the discussion explained!

-Marc
Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tiny part of me wished that had the Q shown any problems, the wife would have let me trade it in and gotten a nice discount/loyalty on both my S5 and another '13 3.0T Q5 for her.

But she wasn't having it. Besides, I'm ok with that because, on account of the water pump replacement, Audi extended the Q's powertrain to 100K. We've got another 2 years before the 5 yr./100k.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Badinboarder

One thing to keep in mind is the fact the the TPMS sensors in the 2010 & up cars are located in the hubs, and not in the individual wheels themselves.

This makes a huge difference if you plan to use snow tires, or go with aftermarket wheels.

And, if you want a manual trans, only the 2.0L has a manual trans in 2010...and the 3.2L was not available in 2011 (in the US).

I do have one small complaint, however. Too many people in Ferraris, Porsches, & Lambos constantly stare at my car. Wish they'd stop that...it's embarrassing.

No matter what you end up with...you'll have a blast driving it! Good luck.

Last edited by a5sport; 07-26-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Maybe this will help make your decision...

I can say that I am an owner of a 2012 A5 2.0T. Audi may have a design problem on their hands with the exhaust system of the car as many forums are complaining about the same issue I am continuing to experience with my new car (approx. 1800 miles on it right now).

At a warm idle after driving the car for approximately 15 minutes...

While I just got my car back from Audi on Saturday with the problem hopefully resolved, many owners are reporting that the fix is only temporary and will return over the next few weeks.

And a forum that continues to track and discuss this information...

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-genera...exhaust-2.html