Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

H&R Sport Springs replaced with H&R OE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default H&R Sport Springs replaced with H&R OE

Replaced the Sport Springs with OE springs yesterday. The ride is much smoother and is more in line in with what I am looking for. Big test for me is a rough freeway transition (5 to 133 in SoCal) where Stock springs.. not so bad, sport spring made you wonder if the rims were getting bent. H&R OE springs were very close to the stock feeling. Looking forward to getting some more miles on them.

Current ground to wheel well measures 26" up front and 26 1/8" in back. Has the lowered stance look that seems right. Also put on 15mm spacers on the rear. Will do fronts next, once I figure out if I was short shipped. If ordering spacers, I recommend you call and say you want 4 tires worth of spacers, not two pairs or a full set.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tks for the info - I am pondering whether to do springs or coil-overs. $ vs benefit is the main decision. Will the H&R springs void factory warranty?
Stasis has the Ohlins CO's which will be honored by the factory warranty, but 3 grand - jeeez. I can get 14" travel KING 2.5" remote res CO's for that kind of coin. There's no way these little car CO's are costing that much to produce... Seems like springs are a more effective use of funds to me. My car does not have Drive Select...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

bumpety bump...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

You want to try out the sport springs? Pay freight and you can have them...Paid $300 for the install so you would come out ahead. I guess I could sit on them and try and sell them for $100 but would rather give back to the forum.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

To answer your question...I have put springs on several cars and never had an issue. Turned in a leased car with springs...no issues. I don't think it will void the warranty but you may want to call a dealer if you are concerned about it...I guess if your shocks went out and tried to claim it under warranty, you might have an issue. If shocks do go bad, it's not that expensive of a replacement...lot less than cost of CO's with install. I have had 4 audi's and never had a problem with the shocks so I think it is low risk...hope I don't jinx myself.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

STaSIS stuff is pricey because they cover warranty claims. They also use quality parts.

I debated between springs or coilovers and decided that for the cost, springs were worth trying out knowing that I could sell them and get some coin back if I decided to go w/ coilovers afterwards. Also, my install was DIY'd so there was no labor cost involved.

That being said, I am very happy w/ my H&R OE spring setup and don't feel the need to go w/ pricier coilovers at the moment.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anybody have thoughts on the OE springs with Drive Select? I'm concerned that if any problems develop with the Drive Select system, the dealer will point to the after-market springs and deny warranty work.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

how much drop was it? the HR site said less than 1 inch drop for OE, but sports its more than 1 inch
Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

From a old post when I installed Sport Springs:
After instal, the height from the ground to bottom of wheel well is 25 3/4 (25.75) up front and 25 7/8 (25.875) in back. Measured from center of wheel

OE springs are 26" fron and 26.125 in back.

Both measured 1 day after install. I guess that makes it about 1/4 inch higher with OE springs. I don't have the before / stock height at my finger tips...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sending PM - I think i'll take you up on the offer for the sport springs...

Quick Reply: H&R Sport Springs replaced with H&R OE