Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings

I bought my A5 2.0T, P+, Tip, Nav, B&O on Feb 19th. Here is my assessment so far:

- Ride is very smooth even on DC streets (better than our 3-Series BMW)
- Seats are comfortable
- Interior is beautiful
- Acceleration on highway is superb
- MMI system is for the most part user friendly, like the voice commands
- Car tracks well and handles corners with ease

Dislikes
- When letting off the accelerator and then hitting it again in traffic, I hate the delay
- Steering too light at low speeds
- Engine/exhaust note is not pleasing
- Not that fun to drive around town
- Rather disappointed in the B&O sound system. I swear it doesn't sound as good as the cars I
test drove. May have to have it checked.

So I hope I learn to love this car. Maybe a chip job is in my future?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having driven a 2004 A4 since I got it brand new, I adapted to the delay on the throttle pedal over the years. It's a bit more pronounced in my S5, but I'm getting used to it. Still, not ideal and something like a Sprint Booster might resolve that. Setting the engine/throttle to Dynamic helps a bit as well and doesn't seem to affect fuel usage as much, since I control the shift points with a manual. I know it can be a big fuel suck with a Tip or S-Tronic if you aren't careful.

I've found that I'm liking the steering feel when I have it set to Dynamic for Drive Select (I only have the SRD and not the full ADS, so I don't have the variable ratio steering). It provides a good amount of feel and resistance, but gets a little tiring in parking garages.

It has taken quite a bit of fiddling to find the right sound settings for the B&O to shine in my S5. I found that turning down the surround processing and setting the fade one notch to the rear, while bumping up the bass a bit makes it sound just right. Granted, I don't always have music or the radio on, as I want to pick up on the sound of the V8
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the reason I was curious why they discontinued the 3.2L. The turbo lag and sound of that 4 cyclinder is horrible. You probably should have gotten the 6mt.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kodakbyd
This is the reason I was curious why they discontinued the 3.2L. The turbo lag and sound of that 4 cyclinder is horrible. You probably should have gotten the 6mt.
Yeah but I don't want a MT living in DC and my other half can't drive one. I know - sigh.

Actually, I like the way the 2.0T A5 handles over the 3.2. The 3.2 felt heavier. Guess you can't have everything.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Buyers remorse. I went though the same thing back when I bought my S5. Search my posting bose vs. b&o. I think the same thing about the b&o. My problem was I had the treble up to high and the surround on to much. My settings are listed in the post. I bet the 2.0 does suck because I fell my v8 sometimes is not quick enough. The a5 is a big car they should have stuck to the v6. I think I am like you I bought this car on looks alone. That's what keeps me in it.

Last edited by JBDinTX; 03-04-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Buyers remorse. I went though the same thing back when I bought my S5. Search my posting bose vs. b&o. I think the same thing about the b&o. My problem was I had the treble up to high and the surround on to much. My settings are listed in the post. I bet the 2.0 does suck because I fell my v8 sometimes is not quick enough. The a5 is a big car they should have stuck to the v6. I think I am like you I bought this car on looks alone. That's what keeps me in it.
Yes! Swayed by a pretty face.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

you need the S4. a fully loaded A5 is more $ than a base S4.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bbmaster
you need the S4. a fully loaded A5 is more $ than a base S4.
Thought about that. They way I wanted it, it would have been around $53K for the S4. We'll see how it goes for a while.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed that it sounds like I get more sound in front with the fader set neutral. I have my fader adjusted a lot to the back. I can't figure out why some music lacks bass a lot and others sound great. Bit rate? The shiny rings on the dash speakers reflect on the windshield at night. It was bothersome for awhile but I've learned to ignore it.

I wish the 2.0T sounded better too. I really find the sound of the car is lame for what it costs and looks like. I had a Solara V6 and I could hear it breathe when it accelerated. It sounded fast.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

pick up an exhaust, that should add more grunt to it.

Quick Reply: Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings