Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
Yeah but I don't want a MT living in DC and my other half can't drive one. I know - sigh.

Actually, I like the way the 2.0T A5 handles over the 3.2. The 3.2 felt heavier. Guess you can't have everything.
I felt the same way. I eliminated the A5 from my choices when I test drove the automatic but after driving it with a manual it wasn't so bad. It still isn't as fast as it should be. Ppl always go up to me and say that car is fast huh? And I always gotta say "naw its not" Don't want to be a poser.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Tiptronic is operated in the S position, there is very little delay when you are off the throttle and then put your foot back down. Since the gas mileage goes down in S, I usually save this feature for traffic situations in my daily commute where the quick action is very likely to occur, or on winding, hilly back roads.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
I bought my A5 2.0T, P+, Tip, Nav, B&O on Feb 19th. Here is my assessment so far:

- Ride is very smooth even on DC streets (better than our 3-Series BMW)
- Seats are comfortable
- Interior is beautiful
- Acceleration on highway is superb
- MMI system is for the most part user friendly, like the voice commands
- Car tracks well and handles corners with ease

Dislikes
- When letting off the accelerator and then hitting it again in traffic, I hate the delay
- Steering too light at low speeds
- Engine/exhaust note is not pleasing
- Not that fun to drive around town
- Rather disappointed in the B&O sound system. I swear it doesn't sound as good as the cars I
test drove. May have to have it checked.

So I hope I learn to love this car. Maybe a chip job is in my future?
Welcome to the Audi family! Went with an A5 after all the choices, eh?
I don't blame your choice on a slushbox since you're in the city.

The accel issue will get a little better as the ECU 'learns' your driving style.
It can also be mitigated by getting the APR software and the Eurocode High Flow Intercooler Pipe to get rid of the 'soundbox' in the stock intake.
Agreed about the upgrade to the exhaust too.

DC driving isn't fun no matter what you drive and parking is the worst! I forsee you shelling out a lot for lot parking.
B&O is good IMO, but then again I don't have eagle hearing...

Enjoy! BTW - what colour did you end up getting?

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 03-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Although I've only owned my A5 for a week I test drove similarly equipped a number of times prior so new what I was getting into. Also, I'm now pushing 60 so a more leisurely coupe drive with enough power to get me out of trouble is all I was looking for (I've modded prior sportscars so also 'been there done that'). The A5's fuel economy is of course a plus as well. With those caveats I'll add my perspective, and a comparison to my wife's somewhat-comparable trim/performance level Lexus is250 AWD:

1. As we all know the A5 is a beautiful vehicle with great lines. Of course due to those lines getting folks in and out of the backseat is trying, but once in the room is fine for anyone under say 6'. Then again, I rarely have anyone in the back seats, so not really an issue.
2. From a design perspective the interior is very nice, but the materials in general are not as nice as the Lexus. I have the Sport leather seats (non-Milano) and the leather quality is no where near the Lexus. The dash is also more stoic. All the Lexus nice trimmings do come at the price of add'l weight however, which leads me to ...
3. The performance of the A5 is just what was expected. It cruises effortlessly and has enough pull to inspire confidence in any situation. The V6 Lexus is sluggish by comparison.
4. Both the is250 and my Sport-equipped A5 have similar stiff but not harsh rides. The A5 corners like it's on rails however, whereas the Lexus is again sluggish.
5. The Nav system in the Lexus is almost useless due to overt complexity (despite good voice recognition and a touch screen). It does have a bigger screen tho'. The A5's Nav is much easier to use and although a smaller screen has higher resolution.
6. The Lexus feels more luxurious with nicer materials. The A5 feels sportier and with a nice mix of luxury and German austerity (which I do appreciate).
All in all I'm happy with my selection, and if the modding bug does bite once again the APR tune, with iPhone interface, is pretty sweet.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Welcome to the Audi family! Went with an A5 after all the choices, eh?
I don't blame your choice on a slushbox since you're in the city.

The accel issue will get a little better as the ECU 'learns' your driving style.
It can also be mitigated by getting the APR software and the Intake upgrade to get rid of the 'soundbox' in the stock intake.
Agreed about the upgrade to the exhaust too.

DC driving isn't fun no matter what you drive and parking is the worst! I forsee you shelling out a lot for lot parking.
B&O is good IMO, but then again I don't have eagle hearing...

Enjoy! BTW - what colour did you end up getting?
Hi - I got the quartz gray with black interior. I like the color a lot. Thankfully we have parking behind our house so no need to pay for parking. I think I have the B&O adjusted more to my liking. I adjusted the Fader to more in the back. Seems good.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had mine a week and I don't like it either. I "upgraded" from a ford mondeo and I'm regretting it. The car doesn't even have a rear wiper which is something that I regard as so standard I didn't even check.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

What nice coupes have rear wipers? A wiper would completely downgrade the look of the car. I'm thinking BMW, Mercedes, Bentley, Aston Martin and Jag and can't think of one coupe that has a rear wiper. Do people test drive or research cars anymore? The A5 is a gorgeous and capable coupe.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lol, it's crap. The mondeo is a much better car. Why don't we remove the tyres for solid chrome if looks are all that matters.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Crap is too strong a word but it's very disappointing to spend 30 grand on a car which can't compete with a 15 k nog standard ford.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

lol, hope you kept your receipt...

Quick Reply: Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings