Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
Hi - I got the quartz gray with black interior. I like the color a lot. Thankfully we have parking behind our house so no need to pay for parking. I think I have the B&O adjusted more to my liking. I adjusted the Fader to more in the back. Seems good.
Nice combo! Glad you were able to get the sound tweaked a bit.

I am liking the A5 more and more. The ride is terrific and it's very comfortable. Acceleration is good, esp. in S mode.
I'm curious how the newer slushboxes are, as I'm looking at the A3 Coupe in the next 3 yrs or so and It'll prob only come in Auto to the States. At least there's S mode

Originally Posted by Satcablemam
Well I have the sport back and not the coupe so I bought a saloon with a sporty twist in my mind. I do find it strange not to be able to see clearly through the rear view and maybe I'll adapt but after my first week it scares the **** out of me particularly when merging onto motorways in the dark.
Lucky Sod!

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 03-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Nice combo! Glad you were able to get the sound tweaked a bit.

I'm curious how the newer slushboxes are, as I'm looking at the A3 Coupe in the next 3 yrs or so and It'll prob only come in Auto to the States. At least there's S mode

Lucky Sod!
Hi there. We are liking the A5. It's not a sports car (as we all know) but it is peppy and very comfortable. We drove it to Rockville yesterday and the computer said we were getting 25mpg. Not bad for a car not even broken in (and that is mixed city/highway driving).

The 8-speed transmission shifts very smoothly. I haven't really used the manu-matic much. To be quite honest, it seems more trouble than it's worth. Eight speeds is a lot of gears!

What are you driving again?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try out the manual mode. It makes the drive much more fun. You get to coax out more power and control out of the car.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discontinued or not.. the 3.2 V6 A5 6MT S-Line had the right price tag and is/was the best choice out of the Audi 5 series segment ( at least until the RS5 reaches the shore ). The 2.0T is slow in comparison and sounds like a blender rather than a turbo and the S5 is a gas guzzler and not that much faster than mine yet it costs $12k extra. I got 38K in my 01/08 3.2 and this car makes me wanna wake up earlier each day (5am) so that I can hit the roads when no one is around and do some street/highway racing. I love it ! Even after 3 years I still get thumbs up everywhere I go even from shockingly 3series bimmers. It also has a great rumble when reeving it hard and handles extremely well, it has the right power for its weight distribution and it corners like if it was on rails and still returns +30mpg going at state speeds. I have dealer shop mechs making me offers when going for maintenance and my dealer has 2 used S5's sitting ducks in their lot. I raced this dude on an EVO once at highway speeds 70mph-130mph and he was shocked how great my car handled and kept it up and this was no ordinary EVO. I am keeping this car for a looong time. I am in the process of ordering a 2012 Jeep SRT8 by the way.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coming from a 2007 Porsche Cayman w/tiptronic (what was I thinking?), I am enjoying my 2011 A5 2.0T w/manual a lot more. I think 2.0T strikes the perfect balance between drivability and fuel economy.

I love the instant torque at low RPMs and how strong it pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear. I used to get 21 mpg with the Cayman. Now, I get 30 mpg with the A5 on the same commuting route.

Absolutely no regrets here.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by GuzmanA5
I raced this dude on an EVO once at highway speeds 70mph-130mph and he was shocked how great my car handled and kept it up and this was no ordinary EVO.
If an A5 was able to keep up with an Evo, you're correct that it was no ordinary Evo - it was certainly broken.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
... it was no ordinary Evo - it was certainly broken.
Agreed - either it was a normal Lancer or it was severely broken. I'd question my S5's ability vs an EVO in most normal situations on the road...
Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Luongo
Coming from a 2007 Porsche Cayman w/tiptronic (what was I thinking?), I am enjoying my 2011 A5 2.0T w/manual a lot more. I think 2.0T strikes the perfect balance between drivability and fuel economy.

I love the instant torque at low RPMs and how strong it pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear. I used to get 21 mpg with the Cayman. Now, I get 30 mpg with the A5 on the same commuting route.

Absolutely no regrets here.
Good endorsement coming from an ex-Porsche owner! I see the A5 as a trade-off. It's not a sports car but then again it's comfortable, smooth, and quiet. The styling is hard to beat. Before I bought I drove the A5 3.2, and granted the V6 sounds better and is smoother. However, I found the 3.2 felt heavier and less fun from a handling perspective. I think Audi could improve the sound and exhaust note of the 2.0T. Not sure why they don't.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there. We are liking the A5. It's not a sports car (as we all know) but it is peppy and very comfortable. We drove it to Rockville yesterday and the computer said we were getting 25mpg. Not bad for a car not even broken in (and that is mixed city/highway driving).

The 8-speed transmission shifts very smoothly. I haven't really used the manu-matic much. To be quite honest, it seems more trouble than it's worth. Eight speeds is a lot of gears!

What are you driving again?
I'm in a 2010 A4 Sline. I had offered you a test drive to help you figure out what car you wanted to go with and if you wanted sport suspension.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD15
If an A5 was able to keep up with an Evo, you're correct that it was no ordinary Evo - it was certainly broken.
It was a pristine 2003 Evolution with racing decals looking like a rally vehicle driven by a kid. I kept up with him at highway speeds and some reckless driving always right behind him until I reached 148mph and then he went behind like half a mile away trying to keep up so your S5 would do even better.. if you have the *****. I have no doubt he would have beaten me merciless on street racing mode. I took my car to its limits on that one and I was delighted, the faster the better the A5 handle and the more fit the car felt, an autobahn monster truly.

Quick Reply: Had A5 Two Weeks - Mixed Feelings