Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Having a terrible experience with Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a terrible experience with Audi

So I am planning to buy my first ever car and when I saw the S5 I was dazzled by the looks and the noise it makes. But when I went to the dealership they told me all these things I need to consider when buying one.."Oh they are going to change the engine to a V6T so the performance of the car is going to be different"..so I am assuming the noise it makes too? At the same time they said the V6T is going to have the S tronic (DSG) which replaces the Tiptronic because shifting gears will be smoother. Also some say they are going to keep the V8 for 1 more year while others say Audi can announce to stop production of the V8 any moment now. All this is causing me to go insane. Can someone tell me what to do because this is not a good experience for me and I need a car by September.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I say if you like it the way it is, go for it. I'm going to pull the trigger pretty soon and get an S5 coupe. I like the V8 and want to get one before they possibly get rid of it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted the V8 so thats why I bought minei n Oct. and luckily took delivery in Dec. '09 so I also got the sales tax credit on my income tax.

I wanted a V8 AWD car and when I saw they were going to dump the 8 for a 6 I acted as soon as I could before the tree hugging hippies lovers ruin more cars. I make sure I stomp the gas a little harder evertime I pass a Toyota Pri-*** on the roads.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by k7-seven
So I am planning to buy my first ever car and when I saw the S5 I was dazzled by the looks and the noise it makes. But when I went to the dealership they told me all these things I need to consider when buying one.."Oh they are going to change the engine to a V6T so the performance of the car is going to be different"..so I am assuming the noise it makes too? At the same time they said the V6T is going to have the S tronic (DSG) which replaces the Tiptronic because shifting gears will be smoother. Also some say they are going to keep the V8 for 1 more year while others say Audi can announce to stop production of the V8 any moment now. All this is causing me to go insane. Can someone tell me what to do because this is not a good experience for me and I need a car by September.
Pull your trigger and get the V8 now!! and if one day a V6T shows.. trade it if you feel you need to switch, I doubt you would though. V8 is the best!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why not test drive an S5 Cabrio since they already have the 6T? It should give you a good idea whether or not to pull the trigger now
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you are in a financial position to buy an S5, especially as your first car, consider yourself fortunate. You only have good choices, really. The V8 package, as it now stands, is a great one, as many owners on this forum have testified. Almost all of them seem very satisfied. My only experience with an S5 was a brief, cautious test drive (with a nervous dealer). It felt like an extremely tractable vehicle in everyday driving, with gobs of reserve power. A very mature performance car.

If and when Audi replaces the V8 with the supercharged V6 (and don't listen to the dealer; there simply is no credible information at this point), the V8 will not be obsolete by any means. However, the V6 with S tronic will provide its own unique set of thrills. I was quite impressed with an S4 I tested recently. And it does have its own distinct soundtrack. You might want to check out an S5 cabriolet, as suggested, for a preview of how a V6 S5 could perform.

I suspect this is a great time to purchase an S5. It appears that there's a decent supply of them at various dealers, and you should be able to get a fair deal given the state of the economy. Keep in mind that the model year changeover occurs during summer, if not sooner, so the supply of '010 S5s may be near or at its peak right now. And '011s (V8 or V6?) will trickle in slowly.

All in all, no bad choices here as I see it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by k7-seven
Sounds like the terrible experience is not with Audi, but with you driving yourself nuts! Buying a high-end car is always a bit of a "pig in a poke" given that the dealer doesn't want you to take a "***** out" test drive and you don't want to plunk down 60+ big ones on something that just might not hit all your buttons. Try to ease up, don't over think it and just trust your instincts - my unsolicited advice! lol
Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sigredz
I wanted the V8 so thats why I bought minei n Oct.... I make sure I stomp the gas a little harder evertime I pass a Toyota Pri-*** on the roads.
You mean Toyota Pious .
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Drollomite Man
If you are in a financial position to buy an S5, especially as your first car, consider yourself fortunate. You only have good choices, really. The V8 package, as it now stands, is a great one, as many owners on this forum have testified. Almost all of them seem very satisfied. My only experience with an S5 was a brief, cautious test drive (with a nervous dealer). It felt like an extremely tractable vehicle in everyday driving, with gobs of reserve power. A very mature performance car.

If and when Audi replaces the V8 with the supercharged V6 (and don't listen to the dealer; there simply is no credible information at this point), the V8 will not be obsolete by any means. However, the V6 with S tronic will provide its own unique set of thrills. I was quite impressed with an S4 I tested recently. And it does have its own distinct soundtrack. You might want to check out an S5 cabriolet, as suggested, for a preview of how a V6 S5 could perform.

I suspect this is a great time to purchase an S5. It appears that there's a decent supply of them at various dealers, and you should be able to get a fair deal given the state of the economy. Keep in mind that the model year changeover occurs during summer, if not sooner, so the supply of '010 S5s may be near or at its peak right now. And '011s (V8 or V6?) will trickle in slowly.

All in all, no bad choices here as I see it.
You mean when and NOT if and when Audi replaces the V8 with the supercharged V6, Drollomite Man.

Eventually, Audi will most definitely replace the V8 with the supercharged V6 in the S5 Coupe. This engine change for the S5 coupe will either happen in late calendar year 2010 for model year 2011 or sometime in calendar year 2011 for late model year 2011, model year 2011½ (if there is a model year 2011½, that is ) or for model year 2012.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, I was just wondering, how is the tiptronic? I know the DSG is a whole different level when it comes to shifting and is a lot smoother as well compared to the tip? but i was wondering does the tip shift smoothly too? or does it lag a bit before switiching gears.

Quick Reply: Having a terrible experience with Audi