Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

help needed;Mercedes E5504matic vs S5 !

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed;Mercedes E5504matic vs S5 !

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post.

I presently have a leased company car,a 2011 MB E550 4matic with just about every option .I've decided to leave the company. I can pick up the lease, buy the car or buy a new 2012 S5 for about the same money. My wife would be alot happier if I saved some money and that would mean a low miles 2011 S5(or some other car). I've always loved the look of the S5. Am I crazy to consider this ?

Should I just keep the E550? It is a great car; it has great performance and every imaginable option; but not the looks of the S5.All unbiased opinions and biased opinions please way in. I only have 2 weeks to make the decision and the transaction.

Regards,

Tom
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not at all. Since you are going to pay about the same amount for 1. a used car vs 2. a new S5. My vote goes to the new S5, however, yes, if I was you, I would look for a used S5 to save around 5-15 grands off a brand new one.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Tom

I presently have a leased company car,a 2011 MB E550 4matic with just about every option .I've decided to leave the company. I can pick up the lease, buy the car or buy a new 2012 S5 for about the same money. My wife would be alot happier if I saved some money and that would mean a low miles 2011 S5(or some other car). I've always loved the look of the S5. Am I crazy to consider this ?

Should I just keep the E550? It is a great car; it has great performance and every imaginable option; but not the looks of the S5.All unbiased opinions and biased opinions please way in. I only have 2 weeks to make the decision and the transaction.

Regards,

Tom
I love the S5. The biggest question is what the lease amount is and the buyout is. If your buyout/lease are the same as buying a 2012 S5 then I would get the S5...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regards,

Tom
I'll give you my experience. So, at the time, it came down to the e550 or the S5 Cabriolet. Different I know but it's a long story. I test drove the e350 and e550 and really liked the e550. It's a world of difference from my '99 e320 4MATIC (winter car). Sounded great, fast, excellent interior, handled the road a 1000 times better than my e320. I could have gone either way when my wife and buddy of mine both told me that the Mercedes was an "old mans" car and you can "always get another Mercedes down the road.." "Order the S5 Cab and enjoy it." That was it.. I've enjoyed the S5 Cab and don't regret the decision.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Merc vs Audi S5. I've always viewed the Mercedes crowd to appeal to those with a more traditional taste. The Audi S5 exterior and interior design is for the 'young at heart'. It's all a matter of taste. I guess Mercedes, Lexus, and Infiniti crowd are the same in terms of taste, while the Audi, BMW, and Porsche crowd share some similar taste.

There are many people driving Mercedes 550s, but only a few driving the S5. Heck, I even see more people driving the A8. I've probably seen 10 A8s and only one S5 in the last 30 days. So, if you want to stand out from the crowd, go for the sporty S5 look. Don't get me wrong, the Benz is a fine car and you'll look like a statesman driving it - but there are many driving the same car. I had a BMW for 2 years and love the classic look and road handling performance of the beautiful coupe, but when I park the car at work - I have about 3-5 similar Black BMW coupes. And you can see the same number of Mercedes Benz running on the road as well.

In the end, it boils down to seeing one Audi S5 for 20 Mercedes Benz.
And if you get the S5, get it with the Rear Sports Differential, because it handles like a dream on twisty roads and cornering. I love driving the S5, because it's a driver's car. The Merc may have more features like the sensors when you fall asleep, etc etc. I would compare it with the features of the A6 or A7. The S series is when you want to drive in sports mode. My wife tells me that when I'm driving the S5 - she feels I'm always 'challenged' by the road. Yep, that's true - the road becomes my racetrack .. haha.

Last edited by ayap; 10-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at the e550 coupe when I bought my s5. Hands down the e550 beat the s5 in luxury and options but at the time the s5 was all wheel drive and the mb was not. I am 34 and the e550 just looked to old for me and even though the mb was loaded and the finish was awesome I choose the s5 because it just stood out from the crowd. I would way my options on getting a 2012 s5. ie. the last year of the v8 ( a must I think). But you have a facelift coming in 2013.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the opinions. Please keep them coming.

I didn't think my local dealer had an S5 in inventory but I just stopped in today and one just came off the truck; and he's going to try and have it ready for a test drive on Saturday. Black with the Prestige Package; unfortunately no sports rear differential. I'm looking forward to it.

Tom
Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the opinions. Please keep them coming.

I didn't think my local dealer had an S5 in inventory but I just stopped in today and one just came off the truck; and he's going to try and have it ready for a test drive on Saturday. Black with the Prestige Package; unfortunately no sports rear differential. I'm looking forward to it.

Tom
Oddly, I pitted these two against one another as well (550 4matic sedan and S5 Cab). The monthly lease will be lowest on a BMW, then the MB, then the Audi. The residual is typically lowest on the Audi but that's why the lease payments are higher relative to the total cap cost. In the end, do you want a wife (E550 4matic) or do you want a mistress?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It should come as no surprised that the responses you’re getting here are pretty much uniform. What forum is this again? Oh yeah, the S5 forum.

I’m in agreement with most of what’s said here. Personally, the styling of the E550 never really appealed to me. I know it’s been said here before but it looks like an older gentleman’s ride. No matter how impressive its performance numbers are, I just can get over the looks. The S5 is simply gorgeous by comparison. I dropped mine off at the dealership yesterday for service and had this big stupid grin on my face as they drive her away into the garage- beautiful, graceful, powerful are the adjectives that come to mind- none of those I can use to describe most MBs IMHO (maybe some AMGs and there supercars)

As ayap noted, the low number of S5s you see on the street is another incentive. I don’t know where you live and how common they are in your area, but where I am I see very few and Svenja definitely stands out. I like being a part of that club.

At the end of the day its personal style preference, taste, and practicality that matter most. Maybe you like the more “mature” look. All the best with your decision process, Doc. I dont think you're going to get alot of people here pushing you to the MB-- I'm just saying.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dr. Tom I respect the fact that you have come on here and asked all of us S5 owners before you purchase and the one thing I can say from all of these posts is.... ditto. I bet if we all met at a pub tomorrow we'd be pals because we all like to drive and not ride in a car. I honestly thought I was going to go with the E550 coupe when shopping until I was told to go test the S5 "just to make sure" and I knew when they pulled it into the garage and I heard that V8 grumble that I was in love.

14k miles later, and has been the best purchase I have ever made. And pony up for the Prestige and all the trimmings, I know those that haven't and kicked themselves later.

Good luck to you sir, I am sure you'll make the right decision!

Quick Reply: help needed;Mercedes E5504matic vs S5 !