Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Hey! You Android OS Expert!! Yeah you!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey! Calling all Android OS Experts!

Looking for someone who really understands the Android OS (preferably 7.1.1) and the MMI (and BT connection between the two) in my '15 S5...

I've searched the Forum for help on getting my new Motorola Z smartphone to interact (via Bluetooth) with the MMI so that I can be "hands-free" with incoming Text (SMS) messages, have the message read to me (or not), reply (or not), and if I reply, send the outgoing message. Not getting anywhere with "old" posts. (Using the BT connection, I can get my phone calls thru the car's speakers and mic.)

My "old" Windows 8 OS Nokia Lumia phone could do this using Cortana -- no special settings, no additional software (hah! apps for Windows phones?) and my phone could be in my pocket; not mounted up and accessible somewhere in the cabin.

I really do "get it" that I can mount the phone and use the phone's mic and speaker in a "Hands-free" manner.... and that a lot of iPhone users can do both phone and SMS via MMI (BT).... so please.. no responses to reinforce those realities. And please, no replies to simply slam/flame/defame Android OS etc. I went with an Android OS phone b/c I simply hate using an iPhone and iTunes, support for my Windows OS phone constantly dwindles, and I don't "do" Blackberry.

OK... pressing "Submit New Thread" and hoping for the best.....

So, if anyone who is truly an expert with Android OS / smartphones / BT and MMI could shed some light, that would be super. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by OlyS5; 02-01-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 01-27-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the strongest intuition around these things as I don't have a car with MMI, but I did have a BT headset when I used Android. If memory serves, Google Assistant could be summoned (much the same as those other OS assistants) by long-pressing the single button on BT devices; I would assume that this input is emulated in MMI upon voice command.

First off, do you have the Google app installed and is it up to date? Are you in a region where Assistant's full functionality is supported? Do you use Android Messages (Google's stock messaging app)? I would disable/replace Motorola's native assistant as a start, and make sure Assistant works over a normal BT headset before experimenting with the MMI, as Google's integration is known to be rather finicky. After you've established consistent behaviour, then try it with MMI.