Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How long does my original battery last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Dead battery? If you're a member, AAA. When my last battery died, I just called AAA and they came out within an hour and installed a new one on the spot with a battery that was rated above OEM. Price was 30% less than the dealer. Fast, convenient and price competitive.
Fantastic point! I didn't even think about AAA. I know all new Audis come with roadside assistance but having AAA is always a great idea, for this reason exactly. Generally, manufacturer based roadside assistance programs are very minimal with their coverage and contract out the work to local tow companies, so you never really know what you are going to get. AAA is very stringent with their selection process to become AAA certified so you can rest a little bit more comfortably while waiting in the dark on the side of the road that the driver coming to your rescue will most likely not attempt to eat you.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 S5 still has it's original battery after being purchased in Dec 2007. Everytime I go for the annual service at the dealer, they say the battery and charging system is fine, so I go with that. Pretty impressive as I have never had a battery last this long (knock on wood).
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

These AGM batteries last somewhat longer than a traditional flooded battery. The AGM battery in our '06 wagon still "appears" to be going strong.

Guys, don't forget about your battery gage in the MMI...
Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't have specific experience with just Audi, but in general I've found that post 2001 cars with one exception the batteries tend to last longer than my experiences prior to 2001.

I used to say 3 years was all you could hope for, apparently either the way they're installed protects them or something inside them changed because with one exception (2004 Chrysler Pacifica) I've had the batteries last longer than my leases (4 years) every time.

This is in KS and NC region, so that's the hot/cold swing reference. It is probably worse further northern latitudes due to the more cold. I also expect garaging it can change the life vs. parking outside.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most batteries run out of water after a few years and then short out. If you can add water to the battery when it is low, you can prolong the life of the battery for a few years. All batteries sold now are of the kind that don't require you to top off with water. That's because after four years or so, you can just go buy a new one. Installation is a problem on the newer cars, so it may be best to go to the dealer. Most motorists don't even know where the battery is located. If you get it from the dealer, ask for free installation because Pep Boys does that. They may buy that. Or not.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the battery is changes, has to be reprogrammed?

That's how they get you in BMWs. They are supposed to be programed after installed and that is done through the car's computer.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Dead battery? If you're a member, AAA. When my last battery died, I just called AAA and they came out within an hour and installed a new one on the spot with a battery that was rated above OEM. Price was 30% less than the dealer. Fast, convenient and price competitive.
Really good to know, thanks for pointing that out.