Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

How often do you wash/detail your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Limestonedan
Question: what do people use to clean dust off and light road grime from the exterior? I typically hand wipe my car every couple of days in the garage with clean rags/towels and hot water. I don't get the car really dirty as I only drive it in nice weather. On occasion, when I use the California Duster that product seems to "streak" when I use it on the exterior.

There's a product you should look into that's become very popular. It's called Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. It's essentially a hoseless wash and would probably be just about perfect for your situation. It will leave a fresh gloss after each use. Easy to use, just about anyone could handle the routine. (A lot of folks use thise product during the winter months when they don't have access to a hose. The pro mobile detailers use this when they are out on the road and don't have access to water.)

Is there a terrific, and safe, hand "spray" product out there that removes dust/grime that might include a wax as well? Sort of all in one? Spray and wipe off?

There are tons of products that would fit the bill. Meg's #34 is sort of my preferred product. Some people will just keep a spray bottle with the Optimum product (mentioned above) and use that for light dust. I would try to get hold of a couple deep pile (superior luxurious) MF towels for this routine. They're just about perfect for such a task.

If the surface is already clean, and you just want to gloss it up, look at a product called Finish Kare (FK) #425. Superb product and it does leave a bit of protection on the surface. A very rich product! And there are others
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thank you for the pointers! Very much appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the two bucket method to wash my car about every 2 weeks and run it though a car wash every other week. I normally polish and seal it once a month, sometimes its 2 months between if I get busy. I worked at the only car wash I will take my car to and I know they do a good job because I have seen all the ins and outs and how everything works. Plus the family that owns it is a good friend of mine.

As for waxing, polishing, sealant, or whatever you might be doing, I highly suggest a porter cable 7424. I really cuts down on the time it takes to wax and it does a much better job and removing minor swirls with a cutting pad and polish. It is worth every penny, I promise

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good info here. Thanks.

Another question... should I get the car detailed as soon as I get my car or should I wait?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't hurt to go ahead and polish/seal. I only drive mine in spurts in dry weather and detail it each time before I put it back into the garage. "Detail" can vary depending on what it needs. I clay/polish with Blackfire every spring and then pile the Blackfire sealant on each month there after. Its made to layer. When I wash I always finish with Adams detail spray (AMAZING product). Also use Adams shampoo. But to answer the question...I never drive mine more than say 5 days without a good cleaning.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I wash twice a week, never take it to a car wash, and wax once a month. If we have had a rain-free week I just rinse it off and dry it. The wheels, on the other hand, need to be washed practically every other day.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharmsoup
Good info here. Thanks.

Another question... should I get the car detailed as soon as I get my car or should I wait?
Every new car is different, but I'd say no. Audi does a great job of plastic wrapping your car from the factory to the dealership. If the car sits outside unwrapped at the dealer for months, then maybe. But otherwise, I think you'd be wasting your time and digging into the paint for no reason.
Sometimes I think people wash and wax too much. While there are benefits, there are also negatives. Everytime you take your hand to the paint and press or rub on it, you are removing a fractional layer. Over the course of years, this probably doesn't add up to much. Over the course of 20 years, things can wear down and get thin.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to wash it twice a week, waxed it every 3 months, cleaned interior myself with a wet towel only, I hate those shiny dashboards products that dealer uses, leather did get some special treatment though.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the dash. UV protection with matte finish to preclude glare.

Originally Posted by GuzmanA5
I used to wash it twice a week, waxed it every 3 months, cleaned interior myself with a wet towel only, I hate those shiny dashboards products that dealer uses, leather did get some special treatment though.