Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

I Can't Take It Anymore, Its driving me Crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Can't Take It Anymore, Its driving me Crazy!

I still can't get rid of the rattle inside the doors. The sound happens when i drive over those bumps in between lanes, uneven roads, and in certain bass frequencies when listening to music. Every two weeks i drive to and from san diego and los angeles and most of the time i hear the rattling/vibration going on both sides of doors.

I took the car to the dealership twice and they could not eliminate the rattle on both doors. They just replaced other parts that had nothing to do with the rattle. They replaced a part of the sunroof and the a/c outlet handle thingy. They forgot a piece of the a/c in my car when they replaced it, leaving it under my seat!(unprofessional)

I decided to try to fix it myself and sort of discovered where the sound is coming from.
even when i took off the door panels i noticed that the sound was coming inside the actual door. I even removed the white window motor(see attached picture) and it was still there. Whenever i would put pressure on the white window motor or to the right of it(black cone thingy) i would completely eliminate the rattle. I also tightened the nails/bolts, but that did not eliminate it.
I gave up on it because i did not know how to get inside the black metal panel.(i dont even think it is possible.) my theory is that the rattle is coming from the other part of the window motor on the other side of the metal panel.

My plan is to take it to another dealership that knows how to resolve this issue.
If you know how to resolve this issue please tell me.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar rattle -- although not constant -- just had my window regulators replaced (windows squeaked when going up/down) and I have not had the rattle since -- not sure if that was the fix or if I just got lucky...
Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A5turbo
I still can't get rid of the rattle inside the doors. The sound happens when i drive over those bumps in between lanes, uneven roads, and in certain bass frequencies when listening to music. Every two weeks i drive to and from san diego and los angeles and most of the time i hear the rattling/vibration going on both sides of doors.

I took the car to the dealership twice and they could not eliminate the rattle on both doors. They just replaced other parts that had nothing to do with the rattle. They replaced a part of the sunroof and the a/c outlet handle thingy. They forgot a piece of the a/c in my car when they replaced it, leaving it under my seat!(unprofessional)

I decided to try to fix it myself and sort of discovered where the sound is coming from.
even when i took off the door panels i noticed that the sound was coming inside the actual door. I even removed the white window motor(see attached picture) and it was still there. Whenever i would put pressure on the white window motor or to the right of it(black cone thingy) i would completely eliminate the rattle. I also tightened the nails/bolts, but that did not eliminate it.
I gave up on it because i did not know how to get inside the black metal panel.(i dont even think it is possible.) my theory is that the rattle is coming from the other part of the window motor on the other side of the metal panel.

My plan is to take it to another dealership that knows how to resolve this issue.
If you know how to resolve this issue please tell me.
Looks like the black parallelagram thingy to the right of the cone thingy is removable. It appears as a rubber or plastic piece in the photo. Can you remove this and reach back behind the motor?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have this same rattle but only in the passenger door. I have only been disappointed with this car! This is my first Audi. My last three vehicles never went back to the dealer even once in the last 5 yrs.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hwks1
I have this same rattle but only in the passenger door. I have only been disappointed with this car! This is my first Audi. My last three vehicles never went back to the dealer even once in the last 5 yrs.
What were your last three vehicles, hwks1? I take it no Jaguars and Land Rovers because of the reasons mentioned below.

The following equally applies to you and all other North American Audi owners (all of whom are a very, very small minority these days) on the message boards who have the rare problematic 2005+ Audis and are fed up with the Volkswagen/Audi Group, hwks1:

For your next vehicle finance lease or purchase, I suggest Ford Motors, Fuji Motors, Hyundai Motors or Nissan Motors.

I would suggest Buick, Cadillac, the Chevrolet Camaro and the Chevrolet Corvette if it weren't for General Motors' extremely uncertain future. I would also recommend the Dodge Challenger if it weren't Chrysler's future being a little more uncertain than General Motors' future. And, of course, I would recommend Mazda and Volvo if it weren't for their new questionable at best ownership.

Just stay far, away from all of the following: 2007+ Toyota Motors, most 2008+ Acuras, all Europeans (especially all Jaguars, all Land Rovers and all 2008+ BMW Group vehicles) outside of Saab, Volvo and the Volkswagen/Audi Group as they are problematic enough to make problematic Saabs, Volvos and Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles (old and especially new) look like the 2006 and prior Toyota Motors vehicles by comparison.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what difference does it make what his last threee cars were? they very well could have been Jags and LR's, and could have been one of those "few, rare" ones that had NO problems.

The point you are missing is that, regardless of how "rare" a problemtic Audi is, it is still SOMEONE's car that is not working properly. If VAG wants to be the biggest and the best, they will listen to all, as they did to me yesterday reagrding the water pump on my B8 S4.

You want to try to tell me my one voice (regarding my "rare problematic car"- which btw, has a campaign RVU out on it) doesn't count?

ONE car matters to an owner- THEIR car.

Stop the copy-paste routine too---come up with another angle to tout for a while. This one is getting old.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hey dude, my 2010 A5 2.0T got the same problem as urs, but the rattle only come from the driver side, everytime when the car is on highway speed 70-80mph and the sounds will come out it really make me crazy too, i am goning to dealer next week and see if the problem can solve and let you kn !
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A5sac
hey dude, my 2010 A5 2.0T got the same problem as urs, but the rattle only come from the driver side, everytime when the car is on highway speed 70-80mph and the sounds will come out it really make me crazy too, i am goning to dealer next week and see if the problem can solve and let you kn !
Thanks would really appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same rattle going on in my A5 and it turned out to be my sunglasses in my door pocket area causing it, I now try not to leave anything in my door pockets.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

500 miles on my A5 and I've got rattles in booth doors too.

Quick Reply: I Can't Take It Anymore, Its driving me Crazy!