Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Internittent sound from B&O/Nav/MMI

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internittent sound from B&O/Nav/MMI

I searched tbe forum but didn't see anyone else report this. I have a 2008 S5 with B&O + Nav. Regardless of the source I am listening to (FM, Sirius, CD) the sound will drop out intermittently. The length of the outage varies from 10 seconds to minutes. When this happens, the MMI controls are locked up so that I cannot switch sources or do anything else with the MMI. This happens randomly, sometimes after an hour or more of driving. I assume there is something wrong either electrically or with the software. Before taking it in to the dealer, I wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and what the solution was.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2009 S5 with about 5,000 miles on it also with the B&O MMI sounds system ... and have just encountered an intermittent audio problem identical to yours. I got it back from the dealer today, and was told that the system encountered some kind of power surge from an external source (i.e. an electrical storm) that caused the problem. They have supposedly reset the system - I lost none of my settings - and so far the problem has been solved. I am told there is a software update available, but they were unable to install in my system today. It's also not clear if this specific problem is addressed. That said, todays repair was a quick fix and hopefully a permanent one.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a software update applied a couple months ago when the car was in for the 15K service but it didn't fix the problem. I initially thought it was my phone and the bluetooth connection that was freezing the system but I've ruled that out. Since my car did not come with Voice control enabled, I used VAG-COM to enable it. That's the only other thing I can think of that could be causing a problem but I really suspect there is something wrong with the MMI unit itself and something tells me that a simple reset isn't going to fix it but I hope it does for your sake.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Intermittent audio

alas, you are right ... the reset did not fix the problem. Spoke to the dealer and it goes back in the shop tomorrow. Clearly something fairly major with the MMI. I'll give you a full report. Stay tuned.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dropped mine off tonight. The problem got worse this week with total lock up and audio drop out. My nav locked up right in the middle of a trip and I got no audio from any source. I'll also keep you posted with what they find. Of course, after not working at all for a couple hours, the system started working normally about 3 miles from the dealer. I just hope it fails quickly tomorrow so they can trouble shoot the problem.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had this exact issue. They replaced the CD player after a couple days of diagnosis - problem solved. That was months ago, and no issue since. I suffered with it for a couple months - problem solved with the CD platyer.

Mine's an '08 S5 B&O + Nav also.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just heard back from the dealer and they said they traced the problem to a faulty media player module in the MMI. Not sure what that is. Once I get the invoice, I'll post the part number. They have a replacement on order and it should be in tomorrow, so I'm stuck driving a crappy Yaris loaner car for another day. Yuck!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just picked up the car. They replaced the "media player interface" part number 4E0-057-785-B. I asked the service manager if this is the component that the iPod plugs into but he didn't seem to know. Everything seems to be working fine now but I have a 3+ hour drive tomorrow afternoon and that will prove if the system is truly working or not.

They also did a software update RVU SVM under campaign 24F3. I don't know what this did other than wipe out my VAG-COM settings. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No end in sight for MMI problems

Dealer tells me I too need a new MMI module ... being ordered from Audi in Germany, but am told it's backordered indefinitely! Whatever that means. So frustrating ... NO radio, Nav or Bluetooth. Already been a month.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't be happy with a reply of "backordered indefinitely". Sounds like a call to AOA is in order.

Quick Reply: Internittent sound from B&O/Nav/MMI