Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Looking to purchase a 2013 S5 in a couple months, any suggestions on negotiating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a 2013 S5 in a couple months, any suggestions on negotiating?

Hello All,

I'd like to start saying hello to everyone! This is my first post...woo hoo.

So here's a little background on myself. I am currently leasing a 2011 BMW 328 xi with very low miles (5800) and am looking to trade the car in early to get into a new or CPO 2013 S5. My lease is up in Sept of 2014 and I'm planning on double paying every month until I find a good deal on an S5. Realistically, I won't be ready to order or purchase a S5 until mid summer. Any suggestions on how I should go about negotiating a deal, what I can expect as a monthly payment on a new s5 with the trade in?

Thanks a lot all!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go to TrueCar.com for pricing in your zip code area. Your dealer should honor this and it's an accurate barometer of pricing. Tell your dealer you are NOT interested in any add on costs such as dealer prep, protective finish coatings, handling fees, etc. These are nothing but huge profit centers. Allow only tax, tag, and title costs to be added.
If buying an S5 I'd strongly recommend the Sports Differential option, makes all the difference. WELL worth it.

Best of luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PeterJay
Go to TrueCar.com for pricing in your zip code area. Your dealer should honor this and it's an accurate barometer of pricing. Tell your dealer you are NOT interested in any add on costs such as dealer prep, protective finish coatings, handling fees, etc. These are nothing but huge profit centers. Allow only tax, tag, and title costs to be added.
If buying an S5 I'd strongly recommend the Sports Differential option, makes all the difference. WELL worth it.

Best of luck.
Thanks! I'll have to check out truecar.com.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

My friend leases a 2011 S5 Prestige, i think msrp is 63k..36 months,10k miles/yr 945/month

Hope that helps!!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi dude,

I'm still looking to buy the S5, and I have already asked some questions on this forum about negotiation, price, etc. Please feel free to search the posts under my name, and I hope the information would be helpful.

To Peter,

By the way, can you really have the dealer to knock off the dealer prep and handling fees? One representative told me that is not possible, and his argument was that all dealers charge the same no matter where you go.

Let say you have negotiated to get, for example, 4% discount off MSRP. should that amount include all those, assuming, necessary fees and profits?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you join Audi Club of America some dealers give you $500 for a $49 annual membership fee

Also check with your dealer to see if they have any rebates upcoming.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctortt
Hi dude,

I'm still looking to buy the S5, and I have already asked some questions on this forum about negotiation, price, etc. Please feel free to search the posts under my name, and I hope the information would be helpful.

To Peter,

By the way, can you really have the dealer to knock off the dealer prep and handling fees? One representative told me that is not possible, and his argument was that all dealers charge the same no matter where you go.

Let say you have negotiated to get, for example, 4% discount off MSRP. should that amount include all those, assuming, necessary fees and profits?
Answer : Yes.
Now, I realize all dealers vary widely on pricing practices and also because Audi is doing very well in USA sales there is less chance to get a great deal from most dealers. Each dealer is only alloted a certain number of cars per period of time. Most feel they can sell ALL they can get from the factory so "Why discount at all" ?? I understand this. Buying from a larger volume dealer helps.
Be firm but very polite and respectful. Audi dealers don't like being talked to like Ford or Chevy dealers. It is what it is. Even tho YOU are the customer they feel a great sense of power and control because of their unique ultra excellent quality product.
Be cool & patient.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Id recommend emailing all dealers within driving distance with your order if you're planning on ordering. Seeing who is most willing to work with you and then going with them. Some will not want to deal and others will be more than willing to.

I am going to be leasing with the following details if it helps, not sure if you're planning to lease.

MSRP - 61,825
Invoice per edmunds 57,562
Invoice per dealer and truecar - 58,115 (probably includes ad fees, port fee, etc)
Negotiated cap cost - 58,115 which includes audi care (typically 850 i believe)
Gross cap cost - 60,009 (invoice + 699 dealer fee + 695 AFS acquisition fee)
36 mo/12k miles, 58% residual and .00122 money factor
monthly payment including sales tax is 827

All in all i would call it 1,250 above invoice since i agreed to the dealer's quoted invoice and their full dealer fee. But also got audi care included, so technically 400 over invoice in my opinion.

hope this helps anyone looking at a lease.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry, don't know how to edit, or add apparently. gross cap cost is 59,509, not 60,009.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oracleicom
Hello All,

I'd like to start saying hello to everyone! This is my first post...woo hoo.

So here's a little background on myself. I am currently leasing a 2011 BMW 328 xi with very low miles (5800) and am looking to trade the car in early to get into a new or CPO 2013 S5. My lease is up in Sept of 2014 and I'm planning on double paying every month until I find a good deal on an S5. Realistically, I won't be ready to order or purchase a S5 until mid summer. Any suggestions on how I should go about negotiating a deal, what I can expect as a monthly payment on a new s5 with the trade in?

Thanks a lot all!
A couple of thoughts for you to consider.

If you order a car it could take some time to receive it. Take a look around the forum to get a sense of how long it took between initial order and delivery. Obviously, cars on the lot or in dealer inventory in your region would be available sooner.

The comments about TrueCar.com is good. You also might consider CarsDirect.com to get an idea of Invoice, MSRP, and selling prices in your area.

I recently purchased a 2013 P+ S5 and the two dealers closest to me provided very different final best out the door prices. The dealer fees were the main difference between the two. The dealer, I bought from offered a very competitive and attractive first price that was < MSRP.

Not sure it matters that much but the final price of my car, including dealer fees and regional ad fees was < 1% above invoice. Some here have done better but I could not take advantage of the loyalty discount, I live in the NYC metro area (no one gives anything away) and I negotiated with 3 dealers for a car that was "on the ground" in dealer inventory.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 2013 S5 in a couple months, any suggestions on negotiating?