Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is Meteor Gray Pearl Effect easy to maintain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Meteor Gray Pearl Effect easy to maintain?

I'm becoming more attracted to this color whenever I see a clean example as an alternative to my first choice of Quartz Gray. Was curious to know from all those A5 & S5 MG owners out there, does this color behave more like BB or DSB - in the way of showing swirls, etc. when wiped down with a cloth towel/cleaning rag?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll be able to tell you within a couple of weeks, as only took delivery a few days ago. Though it definitely shows road grime and the like, I don't think paint swirls would be as much of a problem as say, a black or navy car.

And are you sure you want to go with such a light interior? I've heard very mixed reviews of the light gray
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's really not that hard to keep clean IMO. I've had black, white, silver cars before and this color is much easier to keep cleaner/longer than a black or DSB. In bright sunlight after a fresh wash, it's stunning. The pearl effect really stands out. No problems with swirls, etc,
However, to me it's a little blah/boring all things considered. It's been referred to as Battleship Gray and that's not far off. I love the car but I would order a different color if I had a do over. Not black (8 years was enough) but maybe Ibis White or a custom color. Just my .02.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by swa5000
I'll be able to tell you within a couple of weeks, as only took delivery a few days ago. Though it definitely shows road grime and the like, I don't think paint swirls would be as much of a problem as say, a black or navy car.

And are you sure you want to go with such a light interior? I've heard very mixed reviews of the light gray
I have the Light Gray interior. Previous S4 also had light silver interior. The Light Gray looks great against the Meteor exterior. Yes it shows every dirt and scuff mark and yes the driver's seat does get dirty pretty quickly. But a littl elbow grease brings it all back. That and not allowing any 7 course dinners to be consumed inside the car. The S5 offered more interesting interior choices than my A5 but since I got the A5, my only choice was black, light gray (and maybe a beige). Light Gray looks fine for me and is a much better choice than black IMO.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would argue that its subtlety is a good thing. Already, you'll be driving a relatively rare car. It looks expensive, and the headlight LED's REALLY stand out. Personally, I wouldn't like the attention that a more exciting color would garner.

You want to keep the eye of people who notice your car, not turn as many heads as possible.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would argue that its subtlety is a good thing. Already, you'll be driving a relatively rare car. It looks expensive, and the headlight LED's REALLY stand out. Personally, I wouldn't like the attention that a more exciting color would garner.

You want to keep the eye of people who notice your car, not turn as many heads as possible.
Point well taken. I'm not trying to say "LOOK AT ME" with color choice. There was a Kermit Green A5 posted on here last year that was in that category.
But, my subtle Meteor Gray with the LED's did attract the attention of a local local law enforcement official within one week of delivery. He couldn't keep his eyes off the car and also the fact that I had no plates and he "couldn't see" my temp tag in the rear window. So the car will attract attention from lots of folks regardless of color. Fabulous automobile, even with the vibrations and less than adequate NAV.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've seen a few of these and the color is uninspiring at best. New car at the dealer in the bright sunlight, the color is ok. Cloudy day, the color is dead, a little bit dirty - dead. Quartz Gray is a much better overall color IMHO.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely want the light gray interior. I'm not a huge fan of black headliners and black seats. To me, it makes the cabin feel much smaller. To optimize a feeling of openess for this car - a light interior coupled with that huge sunroof feels almost cloud-like. I think it's stunning. If the U.S. market had the optional star silver valcona leather seats (available in European markets), I would have gotten that instead - especially with the aluminum hologram trim.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Newbie, did you already place an order?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newbie2quattro
Definitely want the light gray interior. I'm not a huge fan of black headliners and black seats. To me, it makes the cabin feel much smaller. To optimize a feeling of openess for this car - a light interior coupled with that huge sunroof feels almost cloud-like. I think it's stunning. If the U.S. market had the optional star silver valcona leather seats (available in European markets), I would have gotten that instead - especially with the aluminum hologram trim.
If it makes a difference, as I understand it, the headliner is black in S-Line trim, though I can definitely understand why you feel like a dark interior shrinks the cabin.

And to echo some of the posts above, quartz gray does have a stellar reputation around here, though I've never seen it in person.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: Is Meteor Gray Pearl Effect easy to maintain?