Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

mmi and radio receiver help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmi and radio receiver help!!

one day i started my 2010 s5 and the mmi screen was black, i replaced the radio receiver and the screen turned back on but i have yet to go into the dealership to get it connected to my car. the radio cuts in and out every 5 seconds. it allows me to connect to bluetooth but does not let me play music on spotify, yet it will allow me to pick up calls and listen to them on the car. it also allows me to play audios from tiktok and i am able to hear them on the car but the audio sounds kind of distorted yet when i take calls it sounds perfectly fine.. i am just wondering if this is due to the fact that i need to get the radio receiver connected to my car or is it a different problem and has nothing to even do with the receiver?
Old 04-06-2023, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

It's called component protection. Various control modules, when they have not been adapted to the vehicle they are now in, operate in a "annoying manner", intentionally, as an "anti-theft" mechanism. Or for the honest person, an anti-"fix it without paying more" mechanism. If you scanned the vehicle with something like VCDS, you should have a component protection active DTC from 56-radio. For the radio unit, that means interrupting the audio output for entertainment sources every so often. Some other radio units mute the speakers on one half of the car, some don't allow any audio from entertainment sources, etc. You need someone with ODIS access, such as a shop or dealership, to clear the situation.
The following users liked this post:
geminii (04-06-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by geminii
one day i started my 2010 s5 and the mmi screen was black, i replaced the radio receiver and the screen turned back on but i have yet to go into the dealership to get it connected to my car. the radio cuts in and out every 5 seconds. it allows me to connect to bluetooth but does not let me play music on spotify, yet it will allow me to pick up calls and listen to them on the car. it also allows me to play audios from tiktok and i am able to hear them on the car but the audio sounds kind of distorted yet when i take calls it sounds perfectly fine.. i am just wondering if this is due to the fact that i need to get the radio receiver connected to my car or is it a different problem and has nothing to even do with the receiver?
You most definately have to have the dealer "code" the receiver to match your vehicle. Just wnt through a similar issue with a customer's 2013 S5.

It came into the shop with a black screen, diagnosed as a bad receiver, did the swap with a "known to be good" unit, had the speaker stutter on radio only, but all other functions performed normally.
VCDS unable to bypass the coding requirement, brought it to the delaer and 30 minutes later, all in order!
The following users liked this post:
geminii (04-14-2023)