Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Music Streaming via iPhone + Pandora / Spotify

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music Streaming via iPhone + Pandora / Spotify

Has anybody figured out an easy way to stream music via Bluetooth from iPhone apps like Pandora to Spotify to MMI? I've got the iPhone kit, however it appears that is meant for iTunes tracks only.

For reference I've got a 2012 A5 w/ MMI.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am hardly an expert here as I just got a 2012 A5 a week or two ago. I can't answer the Bluetooth question directly, but I do use the iPod touch to listen to Spotify in the car through the AMI iPod interface. I can tell you that before I updated the iPod to iOS 5, I could only play a few seconds of a Spotify song before the iTunes music would take over (Spotify song would fade out and iTunes would start playing). Since updating to iOS5, you should be able to pause the iPod music, start Spotify, and use the console controls to control the music. This is according to (apologies if cross-linking is frowned upon):

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...via-mmi-7.html

However, I was not able to use the console controls to change songs consistently, it would switch to iTunes music half the time or so when changing. Controlling through the iPod was fine.

I do *not* have nav, and would be interested in hearing your experiences, and whether or not you have nav. I also haven't tried removing all iTunes sync'd songs from the device to see what would happen.

My solution was just to get the AMI 3.5mm adapter and use my Android phone instead, but that of course does not provide a charge, so I'm considering threading an extender 3.5mm cable to the center armrest for charge + 3.5 mm output + easy to control while the car is at rest.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After speaking with a parts rep at my local dealer, it sounds like the AUX3.5" adapter may be the only solution here. I've ordered the part and will update the thread with results. My assumption is that I'll have to run cable to get the charge as well from the cigarette adapter in the armrest console...

Originally Posted by erock22
I am hardly an expert here as I just got a 2012 A5 a week or two ago. I can't answer the Bluetooth question directly, but I do use the iPod touch to listen to Spotify in the car through the AMI iPod interface. I can tell you that before I updated the iPod to iOS 5, I could only play a few seconds of a Spotify song before the iTunes music would take over (Spotify song would fade out and iTunes would start playing). Since updating to iOS5, you should be able to pause the iPod music, start Spotify, and use the console controls to control the music. This is according to (apologies if cross-linking is frowned upon):

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...via-mmi-7.html

However, I was not able to use the console controls to change songs consistently, it would switch to iTunes music half the time or so when changing. Controlling through the iPod was fine.

I do *not* have nav, and would be interested in hearing your experiences, and whether or not you have nav. I also haven't tried removing all iTunes sync'd songs from the device to see what would happen.

My solution was just to get the AMI 3.5mm adapter and use my Android phone instead, but that of course does not provide a charge, so I'm considering threading an extender 3.5mm cable to the center armrest for charge + 3.5 mm output + easy to control while the car is at rest.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth Streaming

Originally Posted by akennada
Has anybody figured out an easy way to stream music via Bluetooth from iPhone apps like Pandora to Spotify to MMI? I've got the iPhone kit, however it appears that is meant for iTunes tracks only.

For reference I've got a 2012 A5 w/ MMI.
I tried to stream bluetooth to a 2012 S5 without success, using an iPhone 4S. Audi Connect is needed for that to work and it does work on the 2012 A6 I tried. Bluetooth phone does work on the 2012 S5, as does Siri, through the speaker system and microphone.

I was told that the 2013 A5/S5 would have Audi Connect so that bluetooth streaming would work. I am not certain that this is true, and if it is true, whether or not you would have to have the T-Mobile wifi connection working, at $30/month.

Bluetooth streaming doesn't work on my wife's 2011 535i, although it does work on the 2012 models, and there are upgrade possibilities for the BMW to make it work. Perhaps Audi will do the same for the 2012's.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know how to do it over bluetooth, but I was able to run Pandora using my iPhone MMI cable. Once connected, I just started the app and it played through the speakers. If I used the previous or next track button, the music would switch to iTunes.

The other thing I noticed when playing Pandora is that it still showed the timer and song data from the last song iTunes was playing. This is probably a glitch that will be updated with a software update.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Order the 3.5mm cable and a blackberry stereo gateway
Get power from light in glove box for standard usb charger
Plug gateway into 3.5 cable and add power to it.
Pair device with gateway
Change input on mmi to ext and now you can stream easily.
Took me an hour to complete. Let me know if you have any questions. About 50 bucks for both items.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by s5forum
Order the 3.5mm cable and a blackberry stereo gateway
Get power from light in glove box for standard usb charger
Plug gateway into 3.5 cable and add power to it.
Pair device with gateway
Change input on mmi to ext and now you can stream easily.
Took me an hour to complete. Let me know if you have any questions. About 50 bucks for both items.
So how do I get power from the light in glove box? Is there any mod/hack involving hardware changes necessary?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I suggest reading more

There is AMPLE posting on this subject. There are multiple alternatives to solve your issue and YES you can use bluetooth to stream music on PRE-FACELIFT S5s and A5s with 3G MMI. Quickest way for me was to order the cable/BT receiver from AudiA2DP.com
Good Luck
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kidentist
There is AMPLE posting on this subject. There are multiple alternatives to solve your issue and YES you can use bluetooth to stream music on PRE-FACELIFT S5s and A5s with 3G MMI. Quickest way for me was to order the cable/BT receiver from AudiA2DP.com
Good Luck
I have a 2013 A4. Do you know if it has 3G MMI or newer and does all the stuff still apply to me?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

No one seems to be able to answer how to play music off of an Android phone? It annoys me that I could easily play Pandora off of my phone in my VW, but in my Audi that is twice as expensive, I cannot.

Quick Reply: Music Streaming via iPhone + Pandora / Spotify