Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need advice on purchasing V8 S5

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM
PSA
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on purchasing V8 S5

Hi guys, new member here. I'm hoping within the next few months to get into a used 2011/12 V8 S5. I've been searching the forums quite a bit and have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can clear up.

1. Is it really true that the tiptronic gearbox is a lot slower than the manual? I'll be coming from a 2006 E500 and I'm worried the tiptronic transmission won't feel faster than my current car even tho the S5 has 50 more hp.

2. I really want the 6 speed manual transmission, I love driving manual, (even though my current car is auto) and where I live traffic isn't a problem. But I've also heard of all sorts of problems regarding the manual transmission. Is the sticky clutch issue only a problem in the 08-10 models or do the 11/12 models have this issue too? Also what problems (if any) do the 11/12 models have with the manual transmission?

3. How is the manual transmission overall? Do the shifts feel and smooth or do the shifts feel terrible? Is the 6 speed a reliable transmission in general?

4. My current car has been very reliable without many problems at all and was wondering if the S5 will be the same or if it will be in the shop a lot. I love the reliability of German cars and am not wanting to buy a car that's going to stretch my pockets and be in the shop all the time.

Thanks in advance for your guys help.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 S5 4.2 V8 with 6 speed manual transmission. I only have 18,000 miles on the car. Zero issues with the transmission or clutch.

The 6 speed is a satisfying transmission to operate. Not as good as my 944 Turbo, but they are different cars. My only complaint and it is a small one is that I do not like the S5 MT in rush hour traffic (but I rarely encounter rush hour). You get going too fast for creeping traffic stop-go traffic- it seems like as soon as you are launched you are stepping on the brakes. My now-dead BMW X5 had a wonderful granny 1st gear and was perfect in rush hour traffic- but a granny gear is rare in a car, and who buys an S5 to drive in rush hour traffic? A grand touring car in traffic? No sense to me.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:54 PM
PSA
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's comforting to hear you have no problems! Traffic isn't much of a problem here since I live in a small town so the stop n go traffic doesn't worry me.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I beleive the sticky clutch problem was limited to '08 and '09 years. It's hard to say how common the problem truly was - my car has never exhibited any issues at all.

As for the manual transmission - I am happy with the Audi 6-speed, with only one minor complaint: the position of the brake pedal relative to the throttle makes performing heel-and-toe downshifting more difficult that on any of the BMWs I've owned. I find I have to consciously position the heel of my right foot further to the right than is normally comfortable to make it work well. Not a big deal - you do get used to it - but it took some adjustment in my part. If you aren't a heel-and-toe person then it's a non-issue.

As for reliability - it's a crap shoot. I've had several electrionics modules replaced under warranty that probably would have been pretty expensive otherwise - these were for headlight control and side assist. I've had no issues with the engine, tranny, brakes, or other systems.

Last edited by ChipB; 02-09-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2011 S5, 6MT: I have 31K on the odo and not a single issue with the clutch or transmission in general. If I have a quibble, its the 2-3 throw can be finicky when you are on full boil and rush the shift. That said, I know there are a couple of very good short shift kits out there that rectify the issue (if you want to call it that). I do get stuck in traffic and will say its an exercise in throttle feathering. But, to respond to your concern about issues with the car I can say I have NONE. Nada. I have had a whistle that comes from the drivers side mirror at speeds over 70mph. It was resolved via a bulletin report (something about insulation around a rod).

I cannot imagine this car in any other spec. Find a manual. Relish it. I get horrible gas mileage and could care less (17.5mpg) I also will happily keep the revs up cause I like it that way. There is a purity and honesty to the manual that will be gone before long. Match that with a NA V8 and classic lines and you have a recipe for a future classic car. No doubt in my opinion. It makes great noise too! Oh, and those are the genuine article not the result of a "soundaktor" or whatever they call the hockey puck speaker that makes fake engine noises in the 8.5's.

Good luck finding one. I had to look for a while until I found one I liked, flew 1000 miles one-way to buy it and drive it home. Worth the effort.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the RS4 which has almost the same setup with 33K miles on it and the shifting is great and the clutch has not shown itself to be a issue. A few RS4 owners have had synco issues but I suspect it was because the RS was driven very hard.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM
PSA
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your help everybody! I'm glad you guys love your cars, I hate having to wait to find one but hopefully it's all worth it in the end!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my S5 is not the V8 model but does have the manual transmission and it's awesome, shifts are super crisp and easy. I highly recommend getting the MN6 if you can find it, they're aren't a lot of them avail.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
I have the RS4 which has almost the same setup with 33K miles on it and the shifting is great and the clutch has not shown itself to be a issue. A few RS4 owners have had synco issues but I suspect it was because the RS was driven very hard.
I would like to know what transmission (code/"name") is in the A5/S5/RS4 I cannot find it anywhere