Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T

Guys i need some help from the experts. I have been a BMW guy for a long time but i have decided to make the move to Audi. Struggling with the decision making process. I really like the lines of the A5 (I do a lot of driving so the S5 V8 is out of the question) But is the 2.0T enough to make it a fun ride?

My other option would be the S4.
Also any color combo suggestion are appreciated (leaning towards Ibis White).
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't expect the S4 to get much better gas mileage, if any, then the S5. Some people are even claiming worse numbers. I was in the same boat as you, and went s5, because it just looks so much meaner than the s4.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I would say if you are buying an A5 2.0 T, then avoid the 180bhp. Go for the 211 one.

Also why would you not get an S5!? I had a 2 litre A5 and got an S5 now. I worship this car.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't speak directly to performance (although I've driven an A5 3.2, A4 2.0T and an S5 cabriolet with the S4's 3.0T and S-Tronic), but I think the differences that you'll have to decide upon are:

- Practicality: Do you have the need to use the rear seats often? If so, the A5 might be a bit tight for larger passengers (height or width) while the S4 provides a bit easier ingress/egress and a touch more room.
- Styling: Are you hard set on the stylings of the coupe over the sedan? If you are looking for a sportier look for the A5, would the S-line package suffice?
- Pricing: While the A5 is less expensive to get into, an optioned A5 with S-line can push into into the S4 territory.

As far as color combinations, I prefer blues and grays (including Sprint Blue for the S4/S5, Daytona Gray, Quartz Gray and Meteor Gray) but I would make an exception for Ibis White. For Ibis White with S-line in an A5, you only have one interior color choice: black with perforated Alcantara. Without S-line, Ibis White and Cinnamon Brown might be a good combination (I haven't seen it in person).

Of course, you can always go for the Misano Red with Black/Perforated Alcantara A5 S-line for 2011

It looks like Aruba Blue has been nixed for Teak Brown for the 2011 MY
Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by maudir
Ok, I would say if you are buying an A5 2.0 T, then avoid the 180bhp. Go for the 211 one.

Also why would you not get an S5!? I had a 2 litre A5 and got an S5 now. I worship this car.
In North America, our 2.0T engine is the 211 HP variant. Now, for the Q7, there are two variants of the 3.0T engine... but that's getting a bit off-topic.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
In North America, our 2.0T engine is the 211 HP variant. Now, for the Q7, there are two variants of the 3.0T engine... but that's getting a bit off-topic.
Sorry, didn't think of that. I am based in UK so the A5 2 litre comes in 180 and 211. You guys have the best of the two.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TurbousMaximus
Don't expect the S4 to get much better gas mileage, if any, then the S5. Some people are even claiming worse numbers. I was in the same boat as you, and went s5, because it just looks so much meaner than the s4.
While test driving an S5 cabriolet (3.0T and S-Tronic), staying out of Dynamic in ADS/ADS Lite and being more conservative with the pedal, I can get better mileage than my current A4 3.0. Popping it into Dynamic and staying deep on the gas pedal definitely resulted in a quick depletion of fuel.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, didn't think of that. I am based in UK so the A5 2 litre comes in 180 and 211. You guys have the best of the two.
No problem. Of course, we tend to envy you guys as you get the A5/S5 sportback and the S4 avant (much less the two allroad models).
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
No problem. Of course, we tend to envy you guys as you get the A5/S5 sportback and the S4 avant (much less the two allroad models).
Oh I see. The sportback is not available in US!? That's not good. To be fair, I had a A5 sportback 3.0 TDI as a courtesy car last week and I wasn't impressed.

The A6 allroad, now that's a car and half. It's superb.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh I see. The sportback is not available in US!? That's not good. To be fair, I had a A5 sportback 3.0 TDI as a courtesy car last week and I wasn't impressed.

The A6 allroad, now that's a car and half. It's superb.
The sportback has not landed in the US or Canada (which isn't a huge loss for me, since I still prefer the look of the coupe more. For me: Coupe > Sportback > Cabriolet > Sedan).

We also have a pretty measly selection of TDI engines as well (A3 2.0TDI and Q7 3.0TDI are the only options here). If the A5 had the 3.0TDI and S-line, I would have gotten it instead of the S5.

S-Tronic is also available on limited models (S4 sedan and S5 cabriolet), though Audi is at least updating the Tiptronic transmissions to the new (ZF sourced?) 8-speed transmissions.

I guess we're lucky to even have Audi of America trying to see how many people sign a Facebook petition on bringing over the TT-RS. Granted, they have one less vote because I will not touch or go near Facebook :P

When I heard that Audi would stop selling the A6 allroad here due to the release of the bloatastic Q7, I was quite pissed off (I was thinking about getting one, though I would still love to see an A4 allroad with a TDI).

Last edited by questionlp; 08-09-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T