Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New A5 "owner" -- observations and SD Card vs. iPod

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A5 "owner" -- observations and SD Card vs. iPod

Hey all,

Yesterday, I signed the paperwork on a 2013 A5 (Moonlight Blue/Titanium, Premium Plus, MMI Nav, B&O, Advanced Key). I'm coming from a 2011 X5, so took full advantage of the conquest cash.

After a day of driving, I have one observation, one nit (really a meta nit), and one question for the forum:

Observation -- I've now regularly driven 3 vehicles with the 8-Speed ZF -- 2011 BMW X5, 2012 VW Touareg (wife's SUV), and now the A5. By far, the A5's implementation is the best, bordering on near perfection. Even as I'm holding back due to breakin, the shifts feel absolutely sublime. Just goes to show how in the 21st century, software can make all the difference in a transmission.

Nit -- When is Audi going to join its peers and offer Internet streaming radio apps? I mean...for Christ's sake...I have a full WiFi hotspot and Google integration in my NAV. How hard is it to give me native Pandora rather than rely on Bluetooth Streaming?

Question -- While most of my music listening will be via Pandora and BT Streaming, I want to keep some high bitrate music in the car. I can't tell from the manual if there's any significant difference between plugging an iPod into the MMI jack or just using a 32GB SD Card. Is there, other than space benefits if I go with a 64GB iPod?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rflor
Hey all,

Yesterday, I signed the paperwork on a 2013 A5 (Moonlight Blue/Titanium, Premium Plus, MMI Nav, B&O, Advanced Key). I'm coming from a 2011 X5, so took full advantage of the conquest cash.

After a day of driving, I have one observation, one nit (really a meta nit), and one question for the forum:

Observation -- I've now regularly driven 3 vehicles with the 8-Speed ZF -- 2011 BMW X5, 2012 VW Touareg (wife's SUV), and now the A5. By far, the A5's implementation is the best, bordering on near perfection. Even as I'm holding back due to breakin, the shifts feel absolutely sublime. Just goes to show how in the 21st century, software can make all the difference in a transmission.

Nit -- When is Audi going to join its peers and offer Internet streaming radio apps? I mean...for Christ's sake...I have a full WiFi hotspot and Google integration in my NAV. How hard is it to give me native Pandora rather than rely on Bluetooth Streaming?

Question -- While most of my music listening will be via Pandora and BT Streaming, I want to keep some high bitrate music in the car. I can't tell from the manual if there's any significant difference between plugging an iPod into the MMI jack or just using a 32GB SD Card. Is there, other than space benefits if I go with a 64GB iPod?
I believe the iPod and SD cards sound the same. There is no breakdown in sound quality.

I agree about having applications on the radio unit. One major flaw is that the device connection is in the glove box so using your phone as a music player AND a phone doesn't work very well. You want to be able to grab the phone and leave the car. Not reach over and unplug it from the cable. Bluetooth streaming is nice but you don't have access to all your playlists and graphics.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I have to disagree with the previous post. After much experimentation, I've found digital files played from as SD card (or imported to the Jukebox from the card) sound significantly better in frequency response and dynamic range than the analog output of an iPod/iPhone through the AMI. If you use 256kbps or higher digital files with some dynamic music selections on the card you should hear a difference. I have the A6 B&O system but would guess any of the Audi audio systems should demonstrate a difference on some good, dynamic material.
You should have two slots for 32GB SDHC cards.

Also, while the 2013 Audi A5 does not have streaming apps built in, you can easily stream music from a Bluetooth device like an iPhone or other smart phone utilizing mobile apps from Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc. using the MMI Bluetooth Audio mode. No need to plug in the AMI cable in the glove box for Bluetooth streaming (or phone for that matter)..

Use the phone untethered for Bluetooth streaming and Bluetooth phone and two SDHC cards for your music files. Plus the Jukebox storage.

You might find this useful (2013+ B8 uses essentially the same MMI 3G Nav+ system as the 2012+ C7):
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-28-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tend to agree with the above post.

SD card class 10 with 256kbps - 320kbps sounds vastly better than an I pod. I have both of my SD slots populated with 32gb cards.

B&O is a steal for $850
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have to disagree with the previous post. After much experimentation, I've found digital files played from as SD card (or imported to the Jukebox from the card) sound significantly better in frequency response and dynamic range than the analog output of an iPod/iPhone through the AMI.
I completely agree. The SD cards sound significantly better than playing from an ipod. From what I have heard, this is due to the fact that the audio from the SD cards stays digital while the audio from the ipods is converted to analog and then back to digital.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finally decided that my favourite stuff goes on the Jukebox HDD (320bit AAC or MP3 files loaded from SD cards). That way, I get voice command for track selection, which doesn't seem to work for SD card or iPod. Then, I keep an old hard drive 120GB iPod on the AMI cable for the deep cuts. My best classical trax go on a 32GB SD card in one of the slots, and I'm pretty much good to go.

I DO notice a small difference in quality when playing teh iPod. But my ears were kinda done wrong working in a missile silo for 5 years, so YMMV. I think the Jukebox and SD card sound better, but it's not a huge thing. VOLUME, however, is. Don't get nearly the dynamic range out of the iPod. But volume isn't the same thing as clarity - but I don't think it's all that, either, and I agree that it's probably a result of them taking analog out of the dock connector - they could've taken the digital feed, why didn't they? Preaching to the choir, I know.

Load up the jukebox, get your album art there, too, and enjoy. There are little nits to pick with the car, but overall, I'm lovin' it.

B&O sounds awesome in the A5 (wife has it in the Q5, and it's not nearly as good with all that glass), even though the low end isn't the best - but I like it just fine.

Have fun!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James P.
I completely agree. The SD cards sound significantly better than playing from an ipod. From what I have heard, this is due to the fact that the audio from the SD cards stays digital while the audio from the ipods is converted to analog and then back to digital.
I tend to use higher bit rate files on my iPod/iPhone. Honestly I haven't used the jukebox feature in a very long time. I really wasn't informed enough to comment.

I want to reiterate that the bluetooth streaming is nice and you can access your music apps on the phone, BUT if you are playing song files, you don't benefit from the album art, playlists, podcasts etc. Picking up your phone and staring at it while driving is illegal in some places. A community one over from me has banned the use of electronics in cars.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you play ".wav" files on the jukebox or from an sd card?

Thanks,
Douglas
Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by theSteam
Can you play ".wav" files on the jukebox or from an sd card?

Thanks,
Douglas
WAV is not supported. See the link in Post #3 of this thread for further info on the latest MMI 3G Nav+ entertainment info including supported file types.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
WAV is not supported. See the link in Post #3 of this thread for further info on the latest MMI 3G Nav+ entertainment info including supported file types.
I have now read the entire thread, sorry for redundant question there.

I am a musician/audiophile. I am wondering now about your opinion of the sound on jukebox vs cd player...snagitseven. I did not get the B&O option. I sat in the 2013 A5 without B&O and listened to a favorite CD. It sounded fine to my ears. But I did not hear anything in mp3 format to compare it to. Thoughts?

Big thanks for all this information!

DwB

Quick Reply: New A5 "owner" -- observations and SD Card vs. iPod