Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New B8 A4 Ad Campaign kicks off today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My S5 came with automatic folding mirrors, Bang & Olufsen sound system.

No, I really do want the S5, and if I didn't, I wouldn't have waited 9 months for it, instead of buying a 335. The S5 is an amazing car and I like what direction Audi is going in, but there are a lot of missing features that simply confuse me, like, for example, the traffic on the NAV. Europe and the US both use RDS TMC in order to relay traffic and accident information, and in Europe, the Audi MMI NAV, as well as the BMW iDrive, have the capability to read these RDS TMC messages, but for some reason, the US version of the MMI NAV doesn't, but the BMW iDrive does, even though both RDS TMC systems are the exact same. I mean, it feels like Audi is trying to screw us, and there really is no other logical explanation. So, after 6 years of lacking this feature, you would think that when spending billions of dollars creating the new MMI system (which Audi seems to be introducing to different models whenever they feel like it, instead of having all '09 or all '10 model Audi cars with the old MMI get the new MMI at the same time) with a juke box, HD based nav, nVidia 3d accelerated graphics, 800 mhz processor, and lane recommendation, Audi would put a simple 10 year old technology, which they are very familiar to, like RDS TMC in the new American MMI, but they didn't!!!!! I guess I am destined to pay $2,300 bucks on the S5 nav, and then another 2 grand to buy the euro version of the MMI NAV with RDS TMC to replace the one in the car... and as far as the key is concerned, my friends BMW is also supposed to not lock with the key in it, but sometimes the safty measure doesn't sense the key, and it locks, in which he simply calls BMW Assist and they remotely unlock it for him within minutes.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did you check out the B8 forum. Probably not quite the dog that you seem to think is.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b8/msgs/11814.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b8/msgs/11814.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Point well taken

Excellent point. 0-60 isn't everything.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've washed my car a few times, every time with the key in the car

The doors will not lock. Period. Congratulations on your purchase, but I have to say that your nitpicking is surprising/annoying.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Re: I've washed my car a few times, every time with the key in the car

The car hasn't been purchased, as it is on order and will be arriving sometime around Sept 29th if I get it.

As for the remainder of your comment, I am sorry that I am not a blind Audi fanboy... I judge cars by their merits, not by their brand and history, and the S5 is severely lacking in some of those merits, which is quite irritating for someone who, for the most part, loves the S5. I am guessing you have never been disappointed in something that could have been almost perfect, but just wasn't? I feel that the S5 is just like that, and I was hoping that someone on the forum who has a greater inside knowledge of the decision makings within the company could possibly explain. Also, there are many people who gripe about the car as well... just look at the countless threads regarding the '09 electric side mirror folding issue, between here and A5OC, it's at least 5 threads, which shows that people are pissed and just can't understand why Audi would do that (take away the feature), just as I can't understand why they don't add these features I am complaining about, most of them having been previously implemented and then removed, or implemented in different countries but not the US. So, if for some reason you are annoyed when a discussion regarding the A5/S5 shortcomings arise, something which all cars have, then you don't have to read the posts, or respond to them.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

You probably shouldn't buy the S5 as it doesn't sound like you'd be happy with it.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Re: You probably should buy the S5 as it doesn't sound like you'd be happy with it.

That doesn't make sense... I am guessing that you are saying that I probobly shouldn't buy the S5, as I won't be happy with it? Well, if that's the case, then I almost agree with you. For the same lease price, I could get an M3, Porsche Cayman S, C63 AMG, or at one point, even a new M6 that I got a great lease deal on. All of these cars I would rather have over an S5, but the powers that be says those cars are too powerful, and since I want a coupe, that basically meant that I could get a 335 or an S5, and although I feel that the 335 is a better car than the S5 in most catagories except for interior/exterior design and fit and finish, the 335 coupe is way too common, which basically meant that the S5 is the car to get. Although, as I have said, there are other cars I would rather get for the same price, I can't get them, so I chose the S5, which is still a wonderful car, albiet the few features that it's missing, which, if it had them, may have made me choose the S5 over an M3, Cayman S or C63, even if I was able to get them (although still not over an M6, which I am guessing over 90% of you guys would agree with me... I found a new manual white on black loaded M6 for an amazing lease deal, and I was just about to get it when I was strongly recomended not to.. Oh well, maybe the next car).
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You are in a difficult position..... work on convincing the 'powers to be'...

so you can have true hapiness in the vehicle you really want. Do they really want you complaining about your car over the next few years?

And yes, that should have read "Shouldn't".... long day
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

2nd. Should've shown gradual evolution of the merc's change into the Audi
Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You could not lease a C63 or M3 for the price of an S5

Quick Reply: New B8 A4 Ad Campaign kicks off today.