Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New fog light bulbs for 2013 S5

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't like the fact that the actual bulb is blue.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nicoli
jeez sorry to hear that! I just went to the Hoen site and they listed the S11 for the S5, and that's what I ordered. A quick glance at the metal guides on the bulb compared to the one I had just removed was all it took for me to see the tab needed a snip.

So which is better once installed, the 55 watt or the 35 watt? Will the H11 have more "light" ?
The H11 is brighter, not dramatically brighter, but there is a difference.

I went from the OEM white, to the Endurance yellow, because yellow lights work better in fog, and are more visible in heavy rain. I'm looking for the safety factor...not driving around with them on 24/7 just to look "cool".

The more light the better, as long as it does not cause fuse/receptacle/wiring issues, and I have not had any problems. Have had the fogs on for extended periods this week in heavy rain storms, and all is fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a5sport
The H11 is brighter, not dramatically brighter, but there is a difference.

I went from the OEM white, to the Endurance yellow, because yellow lights work better in fog, and are more visible in heavy rain. I'm looking for the safety factor...not driving around with them on 24/7 just to look "cool".

The more light the better, as long as it does not cause fuse/receptacle/wiring issues, and I have not had any problems. Have had the fogs on for extended periods this week in heavy rain storms, and all is fine.
thanks - One thing I love about the '13 model is the rear fog/low visibility light toggle. It makes a very visible, high intensity red dot in the middle of each taillight. I do love the H11 Brightness and don't think I would trade down to a lower percentage of light as long as there is no damage to the car.

This thread from 2008 regarding the Endurance Yellow H11's helped me to choose the Xenonmatch variety. There are plenty of options for all of our tastes, which is nice.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I'm not sure who is tring to look "cool" by changing their fogs, but in my case, I prefer them to look color matched. Here in So. cal, we get about 7-10 days of rain a year, and very little if any fog. I'll rarely run mine except when crusing the desert hwy's at night for better vis. Luckily my car has never seen rain, and most likely won't as long as I have it. I'll take the beater on the few days it sprinkles.

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike182
Well I'm not sure who is tring to look "cool" by changing their fogs, but in my case, I prefer them to look color matched. Here in So. cal, we get about 7-10 days of rain a year, and very little if any fog. I'll rarely run mine except when crusing the desert hwy's at night for better vis. Luckily my car has never seen rain, and most likely won't as long as I have it. I'll take the beater on the few days it sprinkles.

Cheers!
There are plenty of people where I live who drive around with their fog lights on all day long. Problem with that is that fog light bulbs tend to fail much sooner than headlight bulbs, so the fools end up with only one side on most of the time anyway.

Agree that the color matching is nice, but I'm more concerned about visibility here in the Northeast. We have just a bit more than 7-10 days a year of crappy weather...you're lucky.

Originally Posted by nicoli
thanks - One thing I love about the '13 model is the rear fog/low visibility light toggle. It makes a very visible, high intensity red dot in the middle of each taillight. I do love the H11 Brightness and don't think I would trade down to a lower percentage of light as long as there is no damage to the car.
Agree on the rear fogs/rain lights. The 2013 A4 has multiple L.E.D.s on both sides which are very bright.

Taking my 2010 A5 to the dealer in about 2 hours, to have them tell me if they can add/activate the same for it. As long as it is only a matter of adding the switch & a VAG-COM programming, great. Not interested in having anyone else do it, as the car is leased, and don't want any problems with AoA. If it can be done fine...otherwise, the lease is up in about a year...so I'll just live with it a bit longer, and lease an new one that has them.

Last edited by a5sport; 07-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

The bulbs arrived, and here they are, before, halfway, and both installed. Looks a little better to me than the yellow color temp.

Before.

Name:  IMG_1596.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  123.8 KB

Drivers side installed.

Name:  IMG_1598.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  108.2 KB

Both done.

Name:  IMG_1603.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  105.7 KB

Took about 5 minutes.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike182
The bulbs arrived, and here they are, before, halfway, and both installed. Looks a little better to me than the yellow color temp.
Looks much better that the OEM. Nice job.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you went with a true yellow bulb?

I like the xenon match, but I was also thinking of going with a full on yellow bulb like vintage fog lights use to be.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a5sport
Looks much better that the OEM. Nice job.
Thanks! What was nice is that the new bulbs came with the housings, so you just pop one out, and pop in the new one. No handling of the bulbs themselves risking finger oils getting on them.

Cheers!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats it does look great! Btw the H11's are getting very hot on the outside lens area, I'll probably switch to H8's and thx for that info

Quick Reply: New fog light bulbs for 2013 S5