Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New light weight S5 on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSander
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/08/t...e-less-weight/

just found the above article. I hope they're not serious about cutting 800lbs + 2 cylinders from the current S5. If they ever do, I'm going back to BMW. I think they should start putting things like trunk and door closing assist on all Audi like in some BMW instead of wasting time cutting TOO MUCH weight from our cars. 200-300lbs is okay but 800lbs is too much. I don't want to get toss back and forward on the highway.
I think that they are serious about weight loss as this is a fundamental way of cutting emissions and reducing fuel consumption. Given that the European manufacturers are under scrutiny by the EC, they need to improve efficiency in their cars sooner than later.

In any event, less weight = better performance and handling. If luxo barges are required, look to Merc and Bentley.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree this thread is crazy. Weight has nothing to do with stability in a car. In every dynamic way a lighter car should be better. Personally one of the major problems with the A4 and A5 to me is their excess weight. An A4 is way too heavy at 4000lbs.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

No kidding ... this is a stupid post. One of the biggest issues with Audi is the extra weight that comes along with quattro. And if Audi is trying to fix that, its awesome. Less weight does not imply less downforce unless you're driving a box!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

People are going to be very surprised what this weight cut will do. The smaller engine and the trimming of weight will make this thing a total screamer. It will definitely blow away any of the BMW 3 series.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mgd99
I found this trunk assist thing pretty funny.

Just the other night I stumbled upon a TOP GEAR episode where one chap is showing off his trunk close assist and the other chap remarks, with perfect comedic timing "Fabulous idea, because I have always had a tremendous amount of trouble doing this..........."(and he simply closes his trunk with his hand)

Sometimes too much is too much. But that is just me.
It is too much, but that's exactly what luxury should be, excess. I'm glad audi is reducing weight.

I'm kind of disappointed that audi is actually reducing features each year though (no more adaptive headlights, no automatic folding mirrors, etc) Luxury is about excess, it's supposed to be too much. otherwise you could just get a honda fit or civic. I mean, why do you need to get from 0-60 in 5 seconds? that's absurd and completely unnecessary for a vehicle.. but speed/power is part of a luxury vehicle, just like features should be. just saying.. =P
Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by whiterabbit66
Agree this thread is crazy. Weight has nothing to do with stability in a car. In every dynamic way a lighter car should be better. Personally one of the major problems with the A4 and A5 to me is their excess weight. An A4 is way too heavy at 4000lbs.
That's not true, it's a trade off between light and heavy, a heavier object, physically is more stable because it's moment is stronger, meaning if it's going in a certain direction it's harder to change it's direction. However, the down side is it's harder to change direction, meaning it's less agile. If you are driving on a track light is likely good because you'll be changing direction often, if you are riding around day to day, and experience a heavy storm, say in heavy rain or snow, a heavier car is far more stable.

So, the idea of stability is relative, to the situation. The only thing that is for sure certain, is shape, any object that is lower and wider in configuration of it's mass, relative to the perpendicular of it's plane, is going to be more stable than an object that is narrow and tall. That's why sports cars are low and wide to the ground, they are harder to flip over at high speeds.

But anyway, to simply say lighter is more stable is wrong, lighter is more agile, not neccessarily more stable.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acadia
That's not true, it's a trade off between light and heavy, a heavier object, physically is more stable because it's moment is stronger, meaning if it's going in a certain direction it's harder to change it's direction. However, the down side is it's harder to change direction, meaning it's less agile.
I agree with your understanding of the physics. What I still fail to see is why anyone would want a *sports car* to have less agility. I suppose there are a few advantages to extra weight (inclement weather traction, less likely to "lose big" in a two car collision, possible decrease in cabin noise/vibration). However, considering that weight offers very clear disadvantages in acceleration, braking, handling, and fuel consumption, it seems crazy to me that someone would want a heavier sports car. Heavier luxo cruiser, sure, but sports car???? Heck no. I guess the OP wants a stylish luxo cruiser and doesn't care about performance. I don't think that is the target market for the S5 though - certainly not for a new lightweight variant. Three options to meet that need...

a) buy the current S5 before the weight is stripped
b) buy a luxo cruiser instead of a sports coupe
c) buy the leightweight s5 when it comes out and add weights...pinewood derby style (might help downhill acceleration too)

Just my 2+ cents
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

the factory will be reducing weight by applying new ways of automotive production. We saw the way this will happen by using light weight panels and glue to put the cars together. the roof on the a5 is hot glued no rivets at all. Audi haas theri stuff together moving forward. The cars they showed us were so futuristic we werent allowed to take fotos of anything inside.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by s5forum
the factory will be reducing weight by applying new ways of automotive production. We saw the way this will happen by using light weight panels and glue to put the cars together. the roof on the a5 is hot glued no rivets at all. Audi haas theri stuff together moving forward. The cars they showed us were so futuristic we werent allowed to take fotos of anything inside.
I am kind of skeptical of glue. Sounds not as sturdy over time, but we will wait and see.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will never happen. Weight is what makes this type of car feel and appeal the way it does. Take that away and all you have is a choppy Scion tC.
What they might do is create a new light car with a new name in a new catagory.

Quick Reply: New light weight S5 on the way?