Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New S5 Cab - Brake Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S5 Cab - Brake Squeal?

Have just gotten the car and have only put about 100 miles on it. Noticed a loud squeal "sometimes" when applying moderate pressure to the brakes.

Took it in to the dealer, who has been quite good, and he described it right off. Said it is very common in the inital ownership of the car and that the brakes will "settle" after a bit. Might be worse due to temp or weather for a while, but it should get better as the brakes, break in.

It is only coming from one side (as far as I can tell) and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Sounds like a bus stopping!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Fairly common complaint. I believe brake dust build up causes a lot of the problem. Try flushing out the caliper arrea with a hose or blowing it out with compressed air. These seem to help with my brake squeal on my 2010 S5 Cab.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

too new for brake dust to be at fault. head back to the dealer and choke a service writer. squealing brakes are from VIBRATION/frequency. have the dealer throw a new set of brake pads and have them wash the rotors with soap and water, no brake cleaner spary. Rotors may have some kind of oil contamination from ...something, it's a guess and simple enough to do.

I sell brake pads all day long, but don't install them, but I deal with the warranties when the brakes make noise.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

also, do the brakes squeal all of the time= when your pads engage the brake rotor, or only when it's hot from hard continuous braking. or cold, like you just came to the first stop sign on your morning commute?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

They don't seem to do it all of the time. It is random and is worst when just starting to drive. It only occurs with ligh braking at low-speed.

I don't sense any vibration, and doubt it could be "brake dust" as the car only has 100 miles on it. Haven't had it on a long drive yet, so will check it out today to see if it goes away after a bit. So far, worse when the car has sat for a bit.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I followed a brake burn in procedure that is found all over the web. Basically 10 60-10 MPH slow downs at moderate to heavy braking. Make sure you don't stop as it leads to a worse problem of pad material getting sticking and hardening to the rotor. Let them cool down and thenn do it again. (If you see/smell smoke, thats a good thing as the pad resin is burning off. Brake distances will get shorter and the squealing goes away (mostly). it may do it again when cold or if they get dusty again as some have described.

Just when doing this I will reiterate, DO NOT STOP and do not get the ABS to activate, it'll do more harm than good.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having the exact same problem on my s5 cab with 300 miles on it.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TABS = Traditional Audi Brake Squeak...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well another 120 miles today (long day) and while it is still there, it does appear to be lessening. Was told by the dealer that it is normal and should fade out before 500 miles.

So long as no one thinks I am in immediate danger of causing any damage, I am inclined to wait to 500 miles and see how it goes.

Does everyone concur?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

You can wait, but I have 7,400 miles on mine and have never heard the brakes squeal. It is a pretty common complaint with the S4's (check out the forum), but I haven't heard much about it with the S5 Cabs.

Quick Reply: New S5 Cab - Brake Squeal?