Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

No spare tire for all versions of the the A5? Is this true? I tremendously hope not!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No spare tire for all versions of the the A5? Is this true? I tremendously hope not!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Elder Member

Default what do they have instead? the spray fix-it stuff?

or are they using run-flats?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I actually would prefer no spare...

... runflats work great in the event of a flat. You can drive for miles at decent speeds. And as Fifth Gear proved, actually run faster and longer than the recomended time/speed limits (which I wouldn't attempt anyway).

I would prefer to save the weight of a spare, not to mention eliminate the potentially dangerous situation of a conventional tire blow-out on a highway.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Run-flats sound great to me! It's what the competition offers...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Default at geneva the boot had a spare tyre well

below the hinged lid to the boot floor

it didnt have a tyre in it,but looked deep enough for a space saver, and had the centrel 'spindle' for keeping a wheel in it. so i asssume at least some markets have a spacesaver coming

in the uk, the press slate run flats on bmws for being bad for noise as well as handling
Old 03-22-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Run Flats- not ready for prime time

There were about 4 principle reasons why i did not purchase BMW last year. The inclusion of 1st generation run flats was one of those reasons.

Here's what's wrong with run flats, as of now and how they are used-

1- repairability is an issue
2- replacement availability and cost are issues (go over to the Bimmer forums, and see the tales of people having to wait days to get their new tire).
3- ride quality is an issue
4- limited availability of qualified shops to replace run flats is an issue (they need different equipment)
5- tread life is an issue

That being said, I do appreciate the benefits run flats provide. I just think that even with run flats, a spare and a jack and tools should be provided, but in applications such as BMW, it's not. Which tells me that the primary reason for offering run flats is something other than ultimate customer utility.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default True. Looks like the same Tire Mobility System as the RS4.

Unless they manage some wild changes for the US market...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/2320.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/2320.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi: "Models having the tire mobility system as standard equipment..."

Audi says: "Models having the tire mobility system as standard equipment can be supplied instead with a temporary spare wheel."

I hope this is true!<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/tools/glossary/safety/tire_mobility_system.html">Audi Tire Mobility System</a></li></ul>
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's what the competition offers... BUT

Run-Flats:

- run hotter
- rougher ride
- Cost $$$$ to replace
- Limited replacement options
- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SHRED A TIRE ON A PIECE OF ANGLE IRON? (It's happened to me!)
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hope they don't use run-flats. My wife had them on her Z4. I didn't like the way they handled,

they didn't have much grip and they were loud. I would prefer a spare. On my 2000 S4 I had the whole sidewall of a tire blowout. A can of fix-a-flat would've been useless.

Quick Reply: No spare tire for all versions of the the A5? Is this true? I tremendously hope not!