Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Should still be rare since if there's one thing I've learned lately the average "douche" who usually buys a G35, now G37 or 3 series always gripes the car doesn't have enough power. So they tend not to get the car. At least here where I am. People like yourself are the ones who buy it so just know that most of the people buying the car are like yourself and only a small minority are "douches" because that's...unavoidable. The 2.0T again will keep many of them away and Audi's refusal to put a cheap lease on the car again will confine them to BMW, Infiniti and Lexus.
Glad my salesperson didn't consider me a "douche" when I traded in an M35 and mentioned I had a G37 when I bought my A5. She would have missed out on this sale, plus the upcoming sale of an A5/S5 Cab. ;-)
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Should still be rare since if there's one thing I've learned lately the average "douche" who usually buys a G35, now G37 or 3 series always gripes the car doesn't have enough power. So they tend not to get the car. At least here where I am. People like yourself are the ones who buy it so just know that most of the people buying the car are like yourself and only a small minority are "douches" because that's...unavoidable. The 2.0T again will keep many of them away and Audi's refusal to put a cheap lease on the car again will confine them to BMW, Infiniti and Lexus.
Sent you a PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I will never understand this line of reasoning.

Audi AG is, relatively, a very small automaker.

Audi of America, historically, sells less than 100,000 vehicles a year in the USA. That's less than 100,000 TOTAL vehicle sales across the entire lineup.

Audi AG, historically, sells about 1,000,000 total cars a year worldwide.

Any Audi purchased in the USA is, in the big picture, "rare".

I'm sorry people....

You can NOT have it both ways.

You can not insist that Audi should sell you the exact car you want for the low price that you want but not sell many other cars like it because you want to feel "exclusive".

You can WANT it both ways but you can not HAVE it both ways.

Not if you want to be able to buy another Audi in a few years.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelStar
the problem with getting the S5 is that it doesnt make me more unique than your ordinary A5 driver...the cars are virtually identical on the exterior, so anyone who is not a car enthusiast wont even know the difference. Their main response will just be something like "there goes that audi car again!" without even knowing that i paid an extra $15k for it.
Who cares if people don't know you paid an extra $15k for it. Do you really want people to notice you that much? Just get the car because it's beautifully designed and well engineered
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Incorrect Audi AG is in fact a huge seller, just not in the US, they are #1 luxury in China, and sell just as many cars in Eruope as BMW and Mercedes. It's just the US market where people think BMW and Mercedes are the pinnacle. And personally, I kind of liked it that way. It was one of the reasons I bought my first A4 Audi in '01, everyone, gets a little money and they bought BMW or Mercedes, not Audi. I loved that Audi produced great cars that people just didn't know about.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The numbers I posted are correct. Audi wants to change them.

That's why they are offering the 2.0T engine in the A5. Because more people will buy them.

I understand that that is exactly why you do not want an A5 2.0T here in the US market.

But your reasoning is self defeating.

The more cars AoA can sell at a small profit in the US, the more future offerings AoA can bring to the US.

The less cars AoA can sell at a small profit in the US, the less future offerings AoA can bring to the US.

Last edited by Bob58; 08-09-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob58
Audi AG is, relatively, a very small automaker.

Audi of America, historically, sells less than 100,000 vehicles a year in the USA. That's less than 100,000 TOTAL vehicle sales across the entire lineup.

Audi AG, historically, sells about 1,000,000 total cars a year worldwide.

Any Audi purchased in the USA is, in the big picture, "rare".

I'm sorry people....

You can NOT have it both ways.

You can not insist that Audi should sell you the exact car you want for the low price that you want but not sell many other cars like it because you want to feel "exclusive".

You can WANT it both ways but you can not HAVE it both ways.

Not if you want to be able to buy another Audi in a few years.

also, who said they should sell it for a low price, im against the 2.0 engine in the A5, for many reasons.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Dude, are you serious? You're buying a entry/mid luxury car and you expect the whole world not able to buy it? And you're living in CA. That's one hell of a thought you have there. Seriously, even when you're driving the freaken S5 around in CA, if you stop by any of the high end club/hotel... your car should be nothing close to the other 30% in the parking lot which some may worth 3-4 times your car brand new easily. There are a few 18 yr old kids up here driving the S5. Put all that together and spend your time pick your car wisely based on your personality and driving expectation.
wow! where does it say i live in CA? i just joined this site so im not sure

the truth is that i live in NYC (just as big of a hot spot for cars), i dont know why it says CA
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I test drove an A5 2.0T yesterday because I am interested in the Cab and not sure if I want to spend close to $70k for an S5 Cab. The 2.0T is raucous when stepping on the gas and not as refined as the 3.2, but it has lots more push off the line and in corners and makes the V-6 seem pretty "leisurely" in comparison. The thing is, you don't have to step as hard on the 2.0T to get it to move.

I usually start off in Sport mode in my 3.2 but didn't need to in the 2.0. I'll admit it, psychologically I will have difficulty buying a car with a 4 cylinder engine because I haven't owned one in so many years, but the 2.0T definitely makes the car more sporty and fun to drive and I still found it quiet unless it was pushed hard.

It all comes down to what you want this car to be. Smooth, refined... go with 3.2. Sporty and fun... go with 2.0T.

As for the car becoming less rare, the market for $40k+ coupes is still fairly narrow. Everyone is not going to go out and jump on an A5 because it is $3,300 cheaper because a 2-door car still isn't practical for a wide cross-section of the population. And for the guy that is worried that no one will know the difference between an S5 that cost $15k more than an A5... 1) no one knows now because they always think my A5 S-Line is an S5 and 2) if you are that worried about what other people think, a car isn't the solution to your problem.

Quick Reply: now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?