Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://konkocars.com/2009/07/15/the-...35&PID=3323800

I sometimes forget not everyone spends as much time on forums as I do. This years list. Note the top 2 spots.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR

I sometimes forget not everyone spends as much time on forums as I do. This years list. Note the top 2 spots.
Are you a Car Snob? - Screening Exam

Have you ever been accused of being a car snob? Carsnobitis is a common yet under-diagnosed condition that affects millions of Americans. Here at Car Snobs, we are committed to raising awareness of this prevalent illness so that together we can work toward a cure, one diagnosis at a time. Take the following screening test to see if you or someone you love suffers from this disease in silence.
Taking into account your feelings about your current car, answer the following questions and keep track of the number of “yes” answers. Calculate your score below to determine your diagnosis and recommended treatment.
During the last month, have you been bothered by the following symptoms?
  1. Little interest or pleasure in driving your car
  2. Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless in regards to your car
  3. Trouble sleeping because of your car
  4. Avoiding social situations because of your car
  5. Criticizing yourself about the decision to purchase your car
  6. Fatigue or sleepiness when driving your car, even for short distances
  7. Feeling guilty or feeling like you are a failure because of your car
  8. Frequent feelings of anger or lashing out at your car without a valid reason
  9. Negative effects on your work, social, or family activities
  10. Crying when you think about your car
  11. Feelings that the future looks bleak or hopeless in your current car
  12. Thoughts that you would be better off without your car or thoughts about hurting your car in some way
Scoring:
0-3: Definitely not a car snob. If it starts and drives, you’re happy. Go down to the local used car lot, the one with all the balloons and the inflatable gorilla, and buy the cheapest hunk of metal you can find. Hope you enjoyed your time here at Car Snobs. Have fun driving your Buick (or is it a minivan?).
4-6: Likely a closet car snob, the most difficult car snob to diagnose. Spend some time looking at the Car Snobs inventory and review the symptoms above. When you’re ready to accept your condition, we’re ready to help.
7-9: Early Carsnobitis, a precursor to the advanced stages of the illness. We’ve made the diagnosis early in the course of the disease when it can be most effectively treated. I would recommend a mild medication such as the Acura TL, BMW 3-series, or Lexus I-350 sports sedan. With the correct medication, your symptoms should resolve in 1-2 weeks. Contact Car Snobs for an appointment at your earliest convenience.
10-12: The sooner you can accept the serious and chronic nature of your illness, the longer and more fulfilling your life will be. Although there is no definitive cure in your case, the condition can be managed with aggressive and prolonged treatment using the latest Car Snobs cars. Due to the advanced stage of your disease, you will likely need treatment with an Audi A6, Mercedes C-class, or possibly a BMW 5-series sports sedan. If you do not already own a Car Snobs car, make an appointment to see your Car Snobs health advocate without delay.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! Priceless.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob58
The numbers I posted are correct. Audi wants to change them.

That's why they are offering the 2.0T engine in the A5. Because more people will buy them.

I understand that that is exactly why you do not want an A5 2.0T here in the US market.

But your reasoning is self defeating.

The more cars AoA can sell at a small profit in the US, the more future offerings AoA can bring to the US.

The less cars AoA can sell at a small profit in the US, the less future offerings AoA can bring to the US.
Again, this is the American attitude of production, more is not neccessarily a better thing. Your numbers are correct, but again, exclude the US , and BMW , Mercedes, are no greater in terms of car sales, it's their sales here that surpass Audi, not Europe or even Asia, and again, even perception of Audi as stated much higher in Europe and China, and Audi #1 in China, but I've always believed American consumers aren't neccessarily the brightest.

Since, we are extremely consumption driven, it's not about the best product, it's about what someone can sell you. The 2.0t is coming for many reasons, the US is a mass market area, feul prices are increasing, and so forth ...

Audi has been bringing great cars for sometime without needing to resort to BMW attitude of let's put 1 on every corner. And I think it's a winning formula quality cars, ain't decent prices, I personally would rather pay more for quality and higher services, then get the cheapest deal, because I believe you pay for what you get, and if I can't afford what I want, then I just want have anything until I can do so, that doesn't mean I need a cheaper version.

Part of the allure of the 5, is because, it was 1 a step of the A4, and also , it played it's part, it looked powerful, and they ensured looks weren't deceiving by introducing the S5. Just other day, valet, parking my car get's out and says great engine, and the 4.2 is a great engine, sounds great, solid, fits the car. The 2.0t is a great engine as well, just I think it takes something away from the 5, and shouldn't be in the llineup for this car, my opinion, I personally would have 3.0tfsi 300+, 4.2 v8 (up the power to 380-400), and 4.0tfsi 480+HP for RS5, and charge a little more for the cars, that's just me and what I would do. I'm not of the mind that selling more means that your a great company, I mean is Patek-Phillipe not a great company because they don't offer $500 watches? Of course, it's a silly analogy as PP is akin to the Bhugatti of the watch world, but my point is more should nto be definining factor of success. It's what downed BMW in my mind, it was Audi's , neccessity to build great cars, to get back in the market in the US, and if they abandon that in order to "sell more cars" simply, they'll lose something. The 2.0t in the 5 shouldn't be in the US, atleast not yet, and certainly not at it's power input, and certainly not for the name that Audi has been trying to make for itself.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FuelStar
wow! where does it say i live in CA? i just joined this site so im not sure

the truth is that i live in NYC (just as big of a hot spot for cars), i dont know why it says CA
oops, didn't know why I kept thinking you're from CA. I thought I saw it somewhere. Anyways, the prob is still there. There are so many 3 coupes out on the road, many of them switch their car every year or two. If BMW does not work their *** off within a year or two to get the 3 looks better, those will be future A5/S5 owners for sure. I'm against it if you decided to purchase the A5 b/c it's rare. Go for the look, the options, reliability... whatever as you like, just don't ever jump on it because it's rare. You will want to sell it before you know it.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acadia
Again, this is the American attitude of production, more is not neccessarily a better thing. Your numbers are correct, but again, exclude the US , and BMW , Mercedes, are no greater in terms of car sales, it's their sales here that surpass Audi, not Europe or even Asia, and again, even perception of Audi as stated much higher in Europe and China, and Audi #1 in China, but I've always believed American consumers aren't neccessarily the brightest.

Since, we are extremely consumption driven, it's not about the best product, it's about what someone can sell you. The 2.0t is coming for many reasons, the US is a mass market area, feul prices are increasing, and so forth ...

Audi has been bringing great cars for sometime without needing to resort to BMW attitude of let's put 1 on every corner. And I think it's a winning formula quality cars, ain't decent prices, I personally would rather pay more for quality and higher services, then get the cheapest deal, because I believe you pay for what you get, and if I can't afford what I want, then I just want have anything until I can do so, that doesn't mean I need a cheaper version.

Part of the allure of the 5, is because, it was 1 a step of the A4, and also , it played it's part, it looked powerful, and they ensured looks weren't deceiving by introducing the S5. Just other day, valet, parking my car get's out and says great engine, and the 4.2 is a great engine, sounds great, solid, fits the car. The 2.0t is a great engine as well, just I think it takes something away from the 5, and shouldn't be in the llineup for this car, my opinion, I personally would have 3.0tfsi 300+, 4.2 v8 (up the power to 380-400), and 4.0tfsi 480+HP for RS5, and charge a little more for the cars, that's just me and what I would do. I'm not of the mind that selling more means that your a great company, I mean is Patek-Phillipe not a great company because they don't offer $500 watches? Of course, it's a silly analogy as PP is akin to the Bhugatti of the watch world, but my point is more should nto be definining factor of success. It's what downed BMW in my mind, it was Audi's , neccessity to build great cars, to get back in the market in the US, and if they abandon that in order to "sell more cars" simply, they'll lose something. The 2.0t in the 5 shouldn't be in the US, atleast not yet, and certainly not at it's power input, and certainly not for the name that Audi has been trying to make for itself.
I'm from Asia and as I know, Audi sold many there because of the fact that they're considered to be the most competitive in pricing in part of the biggest 3 luxury brands (Merc, BMW, and Audi). You won't get much "respect" ,as they say, in Asia unless you're driving either BMW or Merc (just look at how the Asian in America act, they buy Merc or BMW to show off their social status). Also, it totally understandable for Audi to surpass BMW and Merc in EU. It's freaken freezing over there. Audi is an obvious choice. Anyways, back to THE conclusion, Audi is relatively a very small but Successful company.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess people in Asia don't like to buy Chinese-made Audi.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but the big boys in Ingolstadt disagree with you.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR

OK, I laughed so hard I peed myself.

Where do I send the bill for cleaning my leather recliner?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I'm from Asia and as I know, Audi sold many there because of the fact that they're considered to be the most competitive in pricing in part of the biggest 3 luxury brands (Merc, BMW, and Audi). You won't get much "respect" ,as they say, in Asia unless you're driving either BMW or Merc (just look at how the Asian in America act, they buy Merc or BMW to show off their social status). Also, it totally understandable for Audi to surpass BMW and Merc in EU. It's freaken freezing over there. Audi is an obvious choice. Anyways, back to THE conclusion, Audi is relatively a very small but Successful company.
That makes absoultely no sense in that Audi is no cheaper in Asia than any of the other manufacturerss, in Asia, BMW or Mercedes. Furthermore, what part of Asia, are you talking Japan or China, absolutely in Japan which is very much as much as a consumption driven society as the US, you are correct, prestige will lie with Merc and BMW, if you are talking China or Europe, Mercedes nor BMW are considered remotely more prestigious. Audi , outsells them in Europe, but more to the point, neither Mercedes nor BMW or held in the same regard in terms of luxury as they are held here in the states. YOU can get cloth interiors, 4 bangers, etc ... Mercs in Europe which you cant in the states, and so on, it's completely different marketing there.

And again, I didn't just by 5 because I thought it was rarer, which it definitely is , and I hope it stays that way, but I started liking Audi to begin with because in general they were rarer. I purchased my firest Audi in 2001 an A4, because, it was far less rare than either the 3-series or Merc C, of which I both looked at, and the rarity in fact was why I got it, or played a part.

Quick Reply: now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?