Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

NTSB Crash test results for the A5

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
M K
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTSB Crash test results for the A5

Does anyone know where I can find the National Transportation Safety Boards (NTSB) crash test results on the A5.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you mean the NHTSA 5-Star safety ratings, go to www.safercar.gov and click on "Search 5-Star Safety Ratings" part way down in the middle.

From what I can tell, the A5 and S5 have not been tested, but I didn't check very model for every year of availability.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 AM
M K
AudiWorld Member

Cannot understand why the A5/S5 have not been tested, would sure like to know why ?. This is an important consideration on my purchasing an A5/S5.

I have also sent an email to Audi Corporate asking this question (Why no NTSB crash test data on the A5/S5) and have not heard back from them.

Appreciate any information that may be available.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you ask them the right question -- NHTSA Crash test -- not NTSB

Im curious to hear if they respond also...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
M K
AudiWorld Member

Default Response from Audi America

Thank you for contacting Audi of America. We appreciate you interest in the safety rating of the vehicle you purchase, but to the best of our knowledge no results except our own (which you have seen) have been posted. Audi does not, of course, dictate the time of testing; we would like nothing better than to have the results very early in the presentation of a new vehicle, but each organization has its schedule.

Audi does do very thorough testing before any vehicle is launched, and this has resulted in consistently high safety ratings for our models. If you visit the website of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, one of the leaders in establishing these ratings, you will find that the A5 is not yet in the list of vehicles tested by the IIHS. However, you will find, in the results given under "See 2009 winners", Audi models listed over and over again in the highest ratings. We are confident that once testing has been performed, the A5 will continue this proud tradition.

Again, thank you for your interest, and please do see our press release page on the site: when we receive news of a new award or rating, we do feature it there.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM
M K
AudiWorld Member

Default October issue of Automobile Magazine

I was just reading the October issue of Automobile magazine (automobilemag.com) and wanted to share some interesting information. The Base Pricing information on some high end luxury cars, I have listed them based on price from low to high.

1. Nissan 370Z v6 roadster - 37,690.00
2. Lexus IS C v6- 2 door hardtop convertible - 39,365.00
3. Nissan NISMO 370Z v6 - 39,850.00
4. Audi A5 2.0L turbo 4cyl - 42,000.00
(No data in magazine on the Audi v6 model)
5. Infiniti G37 v6- 2 door hardtop convertible - 44,715.00

You will note in this price range that all have a v6 except for the Audi and all are Hardtop convertibles except for the Nissan NISMO and Audi, Sure has me looking at the others manufactures to get maximum performance and value for my $.

Consumer report rates the Lexus and Infiniti above the other three.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M K
Consumer report rates the Lexus and Infiniti above the other three.
I'm not sure why you put this in a thread about crash testing, but I will say that Consumer Reports is not a good reference when comparing luxury or performance automobiles.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by M K
Does anyone know where I can find the National Transportation Safety Boards (NTSB) crash test results on the A5.
NHTSA results:
http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/...002fd17898RCRD

IIHS ratings (stricter than NHTSA):
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1055
TOP SAFETY PICK - ALL current Audis tested by the IIHS are TOP SAFETY PICKS

Euro NCAP rating (stricter than NHTSA):
http://www.euroncap.com/results/audi/a4/2009/350.aspx

All these are for the A4, which shares it's platform with the A5. You will likely not find any A5 crash tests. It's too rare for most agencies to buy and crash (they will not accept vehicles from the manufacturers, they go out and buy each car they crash anonymously from a dealer). The Q5 is build on the same platform and also rated very highly ...

Audi builds some of the safest cars available. I work in the vehicle safety industry, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on there. NHTSA ratings are pretty worthless today, almost every car is 5 stars now. The standards are old - IIHS and EURONCAP have much newer, stricter and more detailed standards.

The A5 is one of the safest cars in its class. No doubts.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
Audi builds some of the safest cars available. I work in the vehicle safety industry, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on there. NHTSA ratings are pretty worthless today, almost every car is 5 stars now. The standards are old - IIHS and EURONCAP have much newer, stricter and more detailed standards.
The NHTSA obviously agrees, as they are implementing tougher testing next summer.