Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

oCarbon 20 oz 2x2 Twill Full CF Set Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oCarbon 20 oz 2x2 Twill Full CF Set Installed

Hey guys, I just received the rest of my CF trim from Matt and had the chance to install everything today. All I can say is WOW!! The wait was well worth it.

I ordered the complete interior set from oCarbon. It's the 20 oz 2x2 twill which is about 4 times thicker than the standard CF trim that Matt provides. This is very similar to the RS5 trim. I don't know how many other guys have installed the 20 oz set in their A5's yet, but this stuff is sharp. All of the trim fit perfectly and looks like it originally came with the car. I am extremely impressed with Matt's attention to detail, and the absolute perfection with these pieces.

Total install was about 2 hours. The door and dash trim took less that 20 minutes to install. The shifter piece took the remainder of the time, which is all due to the fact that you have to remove the entire center console to install it.

I would highly recommend anyone who is looking at picking some CF trim up to go with oCarbon, and to get 20 oz 2x2 twill, you won't be disappointed.

Here are the pics:

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I absolutely hate the placement of the iPod cable in our cars. The fact that I have to lean over every time I need to plug my phone in is really annoying. It's way worse if I have a passenger that I have to stretch over.

While I had the center console dissembled, I decided to install my 6 ft iPod cable. It took me awhile to figure out how to run the cable through the glovebox, but I was able to do it without taking everything apart. I basically removed the small upper left cubby and ran the cable down the side of the console. This was the simplest way of doing it.

I also removed this small square plug that is in the center armrest, and pulled the cord through this. I was originally worried I may have to drill, but the removal of this plug allowed the cable to fit perfectly.

I also ended up tearing out my JHM SSK and re-installing it. I didn't like the way I did it the first time, and having the center console ripped out made it much easier to do.

I'll take a pic of the routing I took through the glovebox a little later and post it up.

Here's the one pic of the new iPod connection:

Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

Looks really good. I have been considering changing the wood trim in my car to a set of custom carbon trim for a while, but the disassembly of the center console has discouraged me from making any changes. How difficult was that portion of the install?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Looks really good. I have been considering changing the wood trim in my car to a set of custom carbon trim for a while, but the disassembly of the center console has discouraged me from making any changes. How difficult was that portion of the install?
This is not really difficult, just time consuming. If you're patient, it is actually pretty straight forward. oCarbon provides detailed instructions on their blog for the disassembly here.

I didn't use a screwdriver to remove the rear vent, I ended up using trim removal tools that don't scratch the parts. I picked them up from Amazon for around $16:

Total price for the set was $1k, but totally worth it.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Really nice. What's the process? Did you have to pull your OEM stuff and send it to them? How long was the wait?

Could they have done the cupholder section? I can't make up my mind if it would look good or would that be too much CF
Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dtmurf
Really nice. What's the process? Did you have to pull your OEM stuff and send it to them? How long was the wait?

Could they have done the cupholder section? I can't make up my mind if it would look good or would that be too much CF
oCarbon already has OEM trim pieces that they make each new set with. After they ship the set out to you and it is installed, you ship your stock set back. There is a $400 core deposit on top of the $1k that is refunded once they receive your trim.

Total wait was almost 4 months for mine, but that had more to do with the fact that this was the first A5 set Matt made with the 20 oz CF fabric. It is much thicker and harder to work with than the standard stuff. I believe that they will produce these faster in the future. I think that normally these only take 4-6 weeks to make.

As for the cupholder, I think it would be pretty hard to wrap since there aren't many flat surfaces. The epoxy is applied numerous times, each time having to be sanded down to eliminate any imperfections.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ack,
Are there any imperfections in your trim pieces?
I'm being told by oCarbon that "bubbles" and "pitting" is common.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uroplatus
Ack,
Are there any imperfections in your trim pieces?
I'm being told by oCarbon that "bubbles" and "pitting" is common.
Extremely minor, but not noticeable unless you actually held the piece up to your eye, and moved the piece up and down. Once installed, I don't see any imperfections at all. I didn't see any bubbles in my trim, only minor smaller than a pin head sized pits. If there were a total of 5 pits across all of my pieces that would be a lot.

Bubbles and/or pitting is definitely normal as the epoxy is exothermic. Maybe if the whole process was done in a vacuum, there wouldn't be these issues, but I don't know how practical that would be and I'm guessing that could increase the cost of the product.

I've had a few of my friends in the car already and they all loved the new trim.

Last edited by Ack_; 03-01-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 20 oz CF looks good…what is the normal weight CF he uses?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dtmurf
The 20 oz CF looks good…what is the normal weight CF he uses?
Thanks!

I believe the standard weight they use is the 8HS fabric at 11 oz.

Here is a site that has some information on the different weaves and weights.

Quick Reply: oCarbon 20 oz 2x2 Twill Full CF Set Installed