Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ok, I have to say something stupid, just to say it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 AM
2016 S5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't a guy who likes Cokes enjoy the occasional ice tea?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Super 90
Can't a guy who likes Cokes enjoy the occasional ice tea?
Provided the ice tea had a Coke label, sure, why not...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I read this a few days ago, and thought it was pretty relevant a discussion of engine sound in high end luxury/sport cars.

Worth a read, pretty interesting stuff. For a summary: Car makers have been so effective at insulating cabin noise, that they found it taking away from engine sound. So they record the sound of the engine, and play it back through the cars audio as you drive.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bagwell
hummm, a Porsche guy loves V8s.....aren't most or not all Porsches 6 cyls?
Cayenne and Panamera are mostly V8
911, Boxster and Cayman will always be flat-6
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5audi13
I read this a few days ago, and thought it was pretty relevant a discussion of engine sound in high end luxury/sport cars.

Worth a read, pretty interesting stuff. For a summary: Car makers have been so effective at insulating cabin noise, that they found it taking away from engine sound. So they record the sound of the engine, and play it back through the cars audio as you drive.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Good article. Thanks. It does enrage me though. The only honest manufacturers in that article are Ford, who provide engine noise by mechanical means (x pipes).

Porsche is the one that makes me really mad. Who the hell are the customers for the Boxster? Do they really want a quiet cabin, and fake engine noise by flipping a switch? Sound like Porsche is marketing to posers.

No wonder I hang on to my ancient Porsche 944. I have a Borla XR1 with no cat-- it sounds better than most cars.

And my wonderful V8 S5 is not fake either. I just smile when my wife fires up the S5 and drives away. Real sound.

Thanks again for the article. Quite illuminating
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
2016 S5

KarkFEvans... what do you mean "Boxster" owners... from the article:

"Porsche’s new Sound Symposer, fitted to the new (991) 911 and forthcoming Panamera GTS,.. "

Shouldn't stereotype when talking about something so sensitive as one's automobile choices. I for one love the sound of both my S5 V8 and my Boxster S. They both have their own sound. Then again, the sound of my old air cooled 911 was better than all of them... in its own way.

I heard a classic Shelby Cobra the other day, with side pipes on a 427. That was the absolute best. It's all subjective.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry Roger. I guess I read that too fast. Didn't mean to slam anyone but Porsche, and their 'conquest' customers they hope to attract with quietness or fake sound at the push of a button.

My apologies. I love Porsche.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
2016 S5

All in fun, Karl. My wife's primary vehicle is the S5 and my Porsche is generally saved for nice days (few and far between here in the N.W.). Despite the fact that my commuter vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma, I give her a hard time too. It's difficult when I like her car so much though.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fred44nl
911, Boxster and Cayman will always be flat-6
Don't bet on it. Porsche will be putting a turbocharged 4-cylinder in the Cayman and then the Boxster very soon.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beakerz
Don't bet on it. Porsche will be putting a turbocharged 4-cylinder in the Cayman and then the Boxster very soon.
Porsche knows their way around turbocharging small motors too. That should be interesting to see.

Quick Reply: Ok, I have to say something stupid, just to say it.