Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Opinions on RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desimurmur
I was just wondering if I was getting anything better than the M3. The reason why I was asking is that I just had the E93 M3. The reasons I wanted to trade are as follows

1) The M3 is a great track car, but quite jerky
2) The passenger seat made my passengers nauseated when I drove (this ofcourse could be due to the fact that all power is in the high rpm area and thats where I stayed and drove. At the low RPM, the car is lacking without quick responsiveness or intensity - it really comes alive at around 4000)
3) just wanted a nicer interior
4) getting the new M3 would solve most of these but I am still not that impressed with M5 interior and the new M3 interior would be similar
5) I just loved the way the RS5 looks (very subjective, but nevertheless, true)

So I took the plunge. Let me tell you all, there is no comparison for daily driving between the M3 and the RS5 - these online comparsions are always about how the cars drive on the track, but for me, that is less than 1% of the time. THe RS5 is amazing in looks and feel 99% of the time and can hang with any car when its time to step it up.

In any case, thanks for all the replies. I just bought an RS5 Suzuka grey, sports exhaust, 20 inch wheels with Nav, etc. and it is AMAZING!!!
Nice indeed! Also like that you don't have to hang that front license plate wart. Looks like florida...Next year the RS5 convertible in a warm climate like this will be awesome. Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Nice indeed! Also like that you don't have to hang that front license plate wart.
I thought the same thing: "What a beautiful car. That Misano red looks fabulous. Ugh, that front plate doesn't belong."

I live in Virginia and took the front plat off my S5 and my Miata-- they look so much better without it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desimurmur
So I took the plunge. Let me tell you all, there is no comparison for daily driving between the M3 and the RS5 - these online comparsions are always about how the cars drive on the track, but for me, that is less than 1% of the time. THe RS5 is amazing in looks and feel 99% of the time and can hang with any car when its time to step it up.

In any case, thanks for all the replies. I just bought an RS5 Suzuka grey, sports exhaust, 20 inch wheels with Nav, etc. and it is AMAZING!!!
Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful car and it is nice to see those comments from someone coming from an M3. I am sure the new M4 will be an incredible car but the new six cylinder turbo will never talk to you like the RS5's NA high revving V8 does. These engines are the last of a dying breed.

My RS5 is scheduled for delivery the first week in April. I hope I will also say it is "AMAZING".
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Love my 2013 RS5

So I'm a 54 yo car enthusiast living in Canada. I have owned a lot of cars including NSX's, Vipers, 911's, an M5, various 3 and 5 series BMW's, R8 and currently an AM Vantage. I replaced a 2009 S5 with the RS5 as my winter car. Surprisingly the RS5 is a much better car overall than the S5 (which was a great winter car). The front suspension vibration issue is gone, the car is quieter and better built (the doors don't sound like tin when closed). The suspension, although firm, is never harsh and yet it performs wonderfully when pushed. I usually like manual transmissions but the DCT is amazing and can function all the way from smooth cruiser to wham-bam paddle shift.
The engine is just brilliant and as smooth as a turbine but with a deep throaty growl of a naturally aspirated V8.
The BMW M3, is a good track day car , but it has just not got the finish and interior of the Audi. I'm probably a more discerning buyer than most of the folks buying M3's but the interior is just pedestrian in comparison.
And if you drive in snow, there is no comparison.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to base my decision on buying a car on the basis of fewer than 10 track days per year..I think its ridiculous..

I have never driven RS5 but i have had a current generation M3...I think it blows my mind away every time i step in it!! However and this is really important to me, I wish it was more refined. e.g. a better interior, ergonomics and just a better put together cabin. This does not mean that BMW bloats the cars weight, hell no!! It simply means making it more livable and refined.

Then comes the AWD or the lack of it...Well this depends on where u live but for me its good to have, why? i am no Michael schumacher...It just gives me more control over the car in tricky situations which is imp because i take my car to crazy places ..

RS5: Cannot beat Audi cabin/fit/finish. Standard AWD (Not a must but good to have)...Lastly the high revving engine..I have heard it in person, its glorious..Looks awesome

Its funny the last car i TEST drove before signing the paperwork for my S6 was M3..

I think comparing both these is doing injustice to the people who made them...

Go with what that works best for u..U cannot go wrong

all the best..

Last edited by noah123; 02-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.