Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Opinions Welcome V8 vs V6T

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one more data point . . . I did drive both, but liked the feel of the V6T better. And bought a 2012 cabriolet.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes !!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeterJay
Ok, a few points to consider.
The V-6, my motor, is a true engineering marvel. Light weight, saving fuel and tire wear. More speed and acceleration than the law allows.
Note :
If you haven't noticed lately the current fines for speeding in most U.S. states has skyrocketed, to acquire badly needed $$$ for law enforcement depts. who have had their budgets slashed by local gov't. I've heard of $800 fines for 15mph over the limit. It's called legalized robbery.

As far as I'm concerned a V-8..............any V-8 is an overweight gas guzzling, bloated hog.
This thread follows a pattern I have seen over and over on other boards. People like what they bought. Which is good, and logical.

This thread is mild compared to Miata soft top vs. motorized hard top debates.

I'm with you on speeding tickets- the man is getting to be difficult.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
This thread follows a pattern I have seen over and over on other boards. People like what they bought. Which is good, and logical.

This thread is mild compared to Miata soft top vs. motorized hard top debates.

I'm with you on speeding tickets- the man is getting to be difficult.

Well said.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

I prefer the forced induction engines here in Albuquerque since we sit at 5400' above sea level.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this thread did pick up! Cool!! I am beginning to read some really good arguements in support of the V6T. I am testing both this weekend so I guess we'll see. I point that I have not seen made ( I am surprised ) is that the same engine is used on the new A6/7 series (heavier but yet remarkably fast).....any thoughts on that?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think it also depends on your driving style.

I personally had a 2009 S5 Coupe and now have a 2010 S5 Cab. I got better gas mileage and better higher end acceleration in the V8 with driving the same way. The V6T only gives better gas mileage if you are not at high rpms all the time
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidRS4

I personally had a 2009 S5 Coupe and now have a 2010 S5 Cab. I got better gas mileage and better higher end acceleration in the V8 with driving the same way. The V6T only gives better gas mileage if you are not at high rpms all the time
Preface: I am not demeaning the V6T. What follows is theory, not V6T insults.

DavidRS4,
You've hit upon something that I've always wondered. And that is: Are torque and horsepower curves different for turbo/supercharged cars depending on how much you depress the gas pedal?

Having two current turbo cars (and one V8 I converted to turbo long ago), I have always felt that low end torque curves in turbos are misleading. Just driving around normally (not full throttle) in a turbo produces less low end torque than full throttle.

This may be why Audi chose a supercharger instead of a turbo, because response to full throttle may be more instantaneous than with a turbo.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4

The cab weighs about 400lbs more than the coupe which will have an effect on acceleration & mileage.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans

I can tell you my A4 1.8T is gutless at low rpm, and even worse in the summer. Published torque curves are nice for advertising, but as temperatures climb turbos and supercharged engines lose power.
A stock A5 2.0T is far from gutless at low RPM, summer or winter. The small turbo makes boost right off idle, which makes the car very tractable. You should probably drive one and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Opinions Welcome V8 vs V6T