Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ordered an S5...struggling with which red

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered an S5...struggling with which red

As my lease is expiring on my 2010 A5, I went to my local Audi dealer to order a new 2013 S5. I had been planning this for months and I knew exactly how I was going to equip it...then a monkey wrench was thrown in where someone posted pictures of a Volcano Red S5 with the Red/black interior and threw off my plans for a Misano Red with the Red/black interior.

My current A5 is in Brilliant Red (yeah I have a red car fetish) so I knew that the Misano Red would look similar. I have only seen a Misano Red RS5 at the NY Auto Show last year so I have an idea of what it looks like in person...and yes, I also fully realize it will always look its best at a car show where the lighting is optimal and the car is being buffed every five seconds.

Online I found photos of a side by side comparison of a TT in Misano Red and another in Volcano Red and have been polling friends and it is split down the middle...even my teen son and daughter are on opposite sides.

Luckily one of the salesmen has a Volcano Red S4 for the Red/black interior but he did not have the car there yesterday so I will be checking that out either tomorrow or Tuesday to finally make the decision.

I did also get to test drive one with the manual as I am getting and the driving experience was not all that different from my A5 until...I accelerated in 6th gear. The A5 would just lay there as you clearly need to downshift but the S5 just pulled....very cool!

The Nappa leather is fantastic and the seats and new steering wheel are amazing. The optional leather that I got in the A5 was a joke...the leather from a previous 99 VW GTI GLX was MUCH better.

Anyway...any advice on the two Reds?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Misano Red
2. Volcano Red

I used to have a Brilliant Red A4 and received so many comments complimenting the color, even after nearly 8 years. I think the Misano Red is more stunning.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The Misano Red was to bright for me, and the Volcano Red was too "Orangy."

I elected to have it custom painted in "Garnet Red Pearl," a current A6 and A7 color.

It is more of a maroon red which is exactly what I wanted.

Just my 2 cents.

Pictures at http://sdrv.ms/Xq9pMI.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with misano. It looks great on an s5, especially with the 19's

Volcano is a rusty red and I would probably get tired of it over the long haul. Garnet is a nice color, but it's just ok IMO, and not worth a $2500 paint upgrade.

Garnet looks better on the a6/a7 sedan with the 20's
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

After a few days struggling with this decision myself, I ordered my '13 S5 Cabriolet in Misano with the red/blk interior. The volcano looks good in the shade, but orange in direct sunlight. Misano was the safer choice.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Biased. Go for Misano Red.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow..thanks for the input guys and I am glad to see that it is all falling on one side. My gut is to go for the Misano Red as I know I like it...I am going to take a look at the dealers Volcano Red S4 today and quite honestly, I am hoping that I dont love it. That would make my decision for me right then and there
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know color is a choice that no one can make for another, however, I have seen both Misano on an S5 and Volcano on an S4, and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could prefer Volcano Red over another red or even at all. Both cars were clean and new on a dealers lot and the only thing volcano offered was a unique color, otherwise it will appeal to very few and sell very poorly.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I loved volcano red so much I had it as a custom color on my 2013 A5 cab. Here are some pics. Misano Red is nice and all but it's just too boring. It doesn't have that nice contrast with the black top that volcano red has. And of course the car gets a lot of attention everywhere I go.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

didn't realize that the images weren't linking properly on the last post and can't seem to edit it.

Quick Reply: Ordered an S5...struggling with which red