Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Phony invoice prices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phony invoice prices?

My local dealer agreed to give me a price of exactly $600 over invoice on a new 2011 A5. So I checked online and came up with this:

2011 A5 Premium Plus, 6-speed manual transmission
Quartz Gray
Sport Package
Navigation Package
MSRP $45950.00
Invoice $42797.00

My dealer lists the same MSRP of $45950.00, but claims the invoice price on the car is $43223.00

Is the invoice pricing I found online wrong or are they trying to get more money out of me?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In the northeast region(not sure if its the same cost in other regions), all Audi invoices have a charge of .05% of MSRP PLUS $195.

It is mostly for advertising costs, so they are being 100% honest about the invoice price....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gd10
In the northeast region(not sure if its the same cost in other regions), all Audi invoices have a charge of .05% of MSRP PLUS $195.

It is mostly for advertising costs, so they are being 100% honest about the invoice price....
Even if that's the case, the numbers still don't add up. They are still way above the invoice price even if I add in the regional charges you mentioned. Plus, all of the websites I checked ask for my zipcode, so they should have regional pricing already factored in.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beakerz
Even if that's the case, the numbers still don't add up. They are still way above the invoice price even if I add in the regional charges you mentioned. Plus, all of the websites I checked ask for my zipcode, so they should have regional pricing already factored in.
That's a difference of $426, while it may not be spare change but I would't say it is "way above" the invoice.

By looking at that number, I think that is either dealer prep charge or something called Dealer Advertising Fee from Audi. It is a "fee" that AoA charges all dealers for marketing the cars on varies media. I believe it is negotiable so just ask them what it is and go from there.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't worry yourself to death about a few hundred $$. Seriously.
There are tons of Audi dealers who would NEVER sell an A5 for less than $1200 over invoice. Tons.
You're getting a very good price.
Enjoy the experience of getting a quality car.............an Audi.

Then................enjoy the car.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeterJay
There are tons of Audi dealers who would NEVER sell an A5 for less than $1200 over invoice. Tons.

Exactly.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
That's a difference of $426, while it may not be spare change but I would't say it is "way above" the invoice.

By looking at that number, I think that is either dealer prep charge or something called Dealer Advertising Fee from Audi. It is a "fee" that AoA charges all dealers for marketing the cars on varies media. I believe it is negotiable so just ask them what it is and go from there.
fees built into the invoice for advertising are not negotiable at all... The dealer can take money off the car to make up for it but thers no way of AoA not getting ther money.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi

I negotiated a price of exactly $600 above invoice. Adding another $426 to that number makes it way above invoice to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeterJay

It's not the dollar amount, it's the principal. I chose this dealer because they promised to sell me a car at a negotiated price. Then when it comes time to write up the paperwork, the numbers are not what I expected.

BTW, there are plenty of dealers who will sell an A5 at the Zag.com price, which just happens to be $600 above invoice in my area. I'm just angry that my dealer isn't being honest with me. If I would have known that in advance, I would have walked away and not even dealt with them.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gd10
fees built into the invoice for advertising are not negotiable at all... The dealer can take money off the car to make up for it but thers no way of AoA not getting ther money.
Everything is negotiable when buying a car. It doesn't matter how they want to itemize the dollar amount....as a buyer I have the power to walk away at any time and keep my money, so the ball is always in my court.

If I decided I will not pay a dime over $43,000 for a car, I couldn't care less if the dealer tells me that they were selling me the car for $10,000 and adding on fees of $33,000, so long as my total doesn't exceed $43,000.

If the Audi dealer doesn't come clean on this BS, I'll walk away without blinking an eye. I don't deal with that kind of BS.

Quick Reply: Phony invoice prices?