Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Picked up S5 Cabriolet today-WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I've put the top down on mine about 5 days since I picked it up in early December. Believe me, as great as the car is the "payoff" will come when you lower the roof! If you have the wind deflector in place you can actually cruise around pretty comfortably in 50 degree weather (and I don't have the neck warmer). Even so, I can't wait for spring either.

Glad you are still enjoying your S5 Cab!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

50 degrees? I've been saying that when it gets in the 50s, I'll have the top down. I do have the neck warmers too. Now I am excited for sure. I picked up my car in mid-December so I haven't been able to enjoy the Cab part of my A5.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way the weather is going this year in tennessee-it appears we will have to take a trip to Florida to be able to drive the S5 with the top down.

I understand with the wind screen in-the S5 Cab has very little turbilence in the cab!

The Corvette had a lot of wind and noise!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats -all you S5 cab people make me SO JEALOUS!! My A5 is wimpy at BEST! but i love the MPGs
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Congrats -all you S5 cab people make me SO JEALOUS!! My A5 is wimpy at BEST! but i love the MPGs
An Audi Cab whether A5 or S5 is a real treat!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
ASU
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tboy58
An Audi Cab whether A5 or S5 is a real treat!!!
I would love your input. I have been a BMW owner for many years now but I am thinking it is time for a change. I have a 2007 335i Coupe but no matter what I am going back to a Cabriolet.

That being said, I am all over the map on what to purchase, to start with I am still considering both roadsters and 4 seaters. However I do have to about May to sort things out.

So in the BMW family I am lookig at the new 335is Cab and the Z4 sDrive 35is (both hit the showroom in April). I am getting tired of the BMW interior (I do love the S5 Cab interior) not to mention that whether I get a roadster or Cab, I will have little trunk. The hardtop albeit the safest (break ins) and most likely a little quieter than a soft top, there is more room in the Z4 boot than the 335is with the top down.

What I do like about the BMW is the sporty/performance ride and the quickness of the engine. These criteria are important to me. If not for the new 335is I may have been looking at the M3.

I am not a MB person and Porsche (roadster) would really be my first choice, I have limited myself to something more in line with the S5 or 335is.

So, did you consider the BMW 335i or 335is?
Or for that matter did you consider a roadster like the Z4 or the TTS?
Do you feel the S5 Cab can compete on performance or is it luxury?
And Yes the Quattro is a benefit as we do get a fair amount of snow in Toronto (not as much as Cleveland though.

You difinitely sound like very pleased customers so I know I will get somewhat of a biased answer but that's alright if you ever venture on a BMW Forum, you would think they...

Sorry for the rapid fire questions but I am quite interested in the S5 so I am hoping you don't mind help out.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, did you consider the BMW 335i or 335is? No - I wanted an AWD Cabriolet. I considered the S5 Cab and the 911 C4 Cab.

Or for that matter did you consider a roadster like the Z4 or the TTS?
I like the look of the S5 better and it is nice to have the 4 seats when I need them.

Do you feel the S5 Cab can compete on performance or is it luxury?
I do not like the fact that the S5 Cab changed to the V6T, while it is slightly faster off the line it is slower at highway speeds. That being said my S5 Cab with the sport rear diff and drive select has handling that is fantastic (and not just for a cabriolet).

And Yes the Quattro is a benefit as we do get a fair amount of snow in Toronto (not as much as Cleveland though.

This is one of the main reasons to get it. I would not buy a non all wheel drive car again.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I come from the domestic family-I am a previous corvette owner for many years. I have never owned a BMW-but did look closely at the 650! convertible before I purchased the S5. being a daily driver-I didn't like the gas mileage on the 650 V8-I understand at the luxury vehicle price tag-gas mileage is a low priority-but none the less- it is a psychological issue and I want to stay around the 20 mpg mark if possible.

The amazing and often unreported issue of gas mileage concerning corvettes-is that they get anywhere between 22-28 continually.

I drove the Porsche and love it-but didn't want the smallness for a daily driver. I am a luxury cruiser who likes to drive with some pop every once in a while-so the S5 fit the bill for me. It is luxurious, sporty, has pep when it needs too-and there are not dozens of them on the road.

I don't think you can go wrong with the MB; Porsche; Audi or BMW-its a matter of taste, priorities desired in a convertible, style and the price tag you are willing to pay for luxury!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I can only tell you that I test drove the 335i convertible twice and almost bought one in early 2009. Instead, I chose to go with an A5 3.2 S-Line. I loved it, so when the A5/S5 Cab was released I went back one more time to drive the 335 before putting a deposit on the S5. IMO, there was no comparison in the interiors (S5 won hands down) and the exterior of the 3 Series was starting to look a bit dated compared to the exterior of the S5.

I haven't been sorry. The S5 has plenty of luxury and can really haul when I want it to. For me, best of both worlds.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 PM
ASU
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dseag2
I can only tell you that I test drove the 335i convertible twice and almost bought one in early 2009. Instead, I chose to go with an A5 3.2 S-Line. I loved it, so when the A5/S5 Cab was released I went back one more time to drive the 335 before putting a deposit on the S5. IMO, there was no comparison in the interiors (S5 won hands down) and the exterior of the 3 Series was starting to look a bit dated compared to the exterior of the S5.

I haven't been sorry. The S5 has plenty of luxury and can really haul when I want it to. For me, best of both worlds.
Guys thanks for your feed back.

In my opinion on style I totally agree. The S5 interior and usable trunk is superior. I also agree that the 335 is getting a little long in the tooth as far as the exterior. Not to mention it's snowing right now and the quattro has it's place in Toronto. I will have to wait to see how the new 335is looks in person and drive them back to back. It's going to be another 3 months most likely. Early call would be the S5 for me as well.